LaFerrari sold out? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

LaFerrari sold out?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Lone Wolf, Aug 13, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari FXX

Ferrari FXX Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2007
    I just don't believe that because its tons of people like rappers, athletes and lottery winners that would plunk down 1.4 million to get one. Why are these people being turned away?

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Because they dont fit the profile Ferrari wants.

3. GreenLantern

GreenLantern Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2010
    CA, NV, TX
    Because Ferrari is careful (and very picky) about who they sell their exclusive cars to. :)

+1

4. Ferrari FXX

Ferrari FXX Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2007
    Well gentlemen if thats the case which I'm sure it is, they know something we don't and they'll be sold out.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    there is no question they will sell all of them. its a 2 year production so why in the world wld they go out and make all the allocations now? everyone like to be long optionality, and Ferrari has the ability to do it.

6. visualfxpro

visualfxpro Karting

Sep 11, 2009
    No they are not, but the demand greatly exceeds the supply. In other words, it may SEEM like it's sold out because for the 500 cars, Ferrari has, let's say 1000 buyers who have expressed serious interest in buying.

It's a bit semantic though. Although I don't believe the cars are all officially allocated yet, Ferrari is not interested in new buyers right now so essentially they are "sold out" but not literally so. This means, if you are a real high roller who has bought a lot of Ferraris and perhaps a public advocate of the brand, you do have a chance. Nobody will know you cut in line since many cars have not been allocated officially yet.

7. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Owners are viewed as promoters and representatives of the marque. It is much more than pay to play.

8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  9. visualfxpro

visualfxpro Karting

Sep 11, 2009
    Remember Enzo was just north of $800k I believe.

10. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    $652,000 MSRP in 2003, plus options.

11. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    That said, there are serious customers (own multiple models, participate in Ferrari racing series, etc.) who are being turned away. Instead of making 1 less than demand, Ferrari is making like 50 less than demand. :(

-F

12. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    sbrotfl, there is no such thing as "turning away cause we don't like ur profile" or "u can never have a LaFerrari"

It's simple merchandising, the stuff u UnitedStatesians like so much. U offer 1,4 million ? I turn you away so you will be mad and offer more.

Not even in the first year of production and already 4 of them for sale in Italy only, lul.

Edit. yeah necro'ed for the lulz

13. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    If this is true, then this is very embarrassing firstly for Ferrari because it's the same thing as they did with Enzo and secondly buyers must consider to sue Ferrari (or something like this) because they gave the order for something unique and exclusive.

This is very bad...and unfortunately is happening due to profit.

14. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It is my understanding that 100% of the LaFerraris were allocated to specific customers before production of customer cars started. I tried to get one. My dealer put in six applications, including mine, and got only 1 car which went to a customer who had many prior Ferrari specials. This was over a year ago. I don't think anything has changed since then. There's a huge demand for these cars and Ferrari hand-chooses the owners for them. They could easily have sold all 499 in the USA alone.

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Isn't this discrimination? Why can Ferrari profile buyers of the cars and choose who is worthy, yet if somebody goes into a regular retailer, and a sales person says "sorry I can't sell you this car because you don't fit the profile of the buyer we want" there would be hell to pay.

Why do people stand for this? If I had the money to buy one and was told I couldn't because I don't fit the profile, I would cause so much crap for Ferrari just out of spite. I would sue them for discrimination.

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    They made 1,300+ F40s and to me it's still exclusive and an amazing car. They could make at least 1,000 LaF and still have the same effect.

17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes its discrimination. And we all do it. When you go car shopping you discriminate against Lamborghini when you chose a Ferrari. The question is whether its discrimination based on something we as a society don't think you should be allowed to do. So if a car company said we won't sell to this or that religion, that would be different. In this case, Ferrari is just deciding whom it wants to sell these limited items to. I don't think its based on race, color etc. I'd love to have one but its just how it is. I don't think your lawsuit would go anywhere and going after Ferrari wouldn't really get you what you want- which is the car. And they know it.

18. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Everyone has the right to engage in trade on whatever voluntary terms they can work out. That's a good chunk of what it means to be a free human being.

Why would you want to compel someone in this way? Do you want government to start coercing everyone in the name of the principle behind your lawsuit? (Mandatory, indiscriminate interaction and trade, by whatever standard of justice we like.)

No one has to put up with it -- it's a choice. (See Leno, TheMayor, and who knows how many others.)

The fact is, however, that the market values Ferrari products so much that it puts up with limit runs, ridiculous paint, bad body panel fitting, so-so service, high costs, etc., etc., etc.

+++

Though it's true that the F40 remains a pinnacle car, the fact that they made well over three times more cars than they said they would means the first 399 loyal buyers got screwed out of who knows how much appreciation, prestige, exclusivity, etc.

19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Why discriminating against people without 2 million dollars then?

20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    People are not familiar with the art trade it seems. A seller can decline to do business if he/she wishes so. Noone can force anyone to sell or buy. I have a manufacturing and wholesale trading business and if I don't feel like selling to someone I just tell them that I am out of stock and that's the end of it...

21. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    +1.

22. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #72 noone1, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    Apparently there are allocations in China still. The reason most likely being that the car is $4M, and if you wanted one, you could get one in the US or EU for far less, even with the premium they demand. Anyone with $4M for a Ferrari surely travels a lot and has homes all over the world. The market for a $4M, non-classic car is probably ridiculously small, especially if you have hardly any place to drive it. I'd never want to own such a car in China, and I imagine lots of people feel the same way. There are some amazing roads, but they don't lead anywhere you'd want to go and you'd probably have to cross roads you wouldn't want to in order to find the patches that are great.

23. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Why are you so certain they are even inquiring about one?

There is no shortage of people who can afford an LF, but the amount of people actually willing to spend that much is a lot smaller than you think. It's also not the only game in town. A lot of athletes and rappers are just fine in a $500K Lamborghini -- which is arguably better looking IMO. Hell, even people who are really really into cars might not want one. If I had $2M to spend on a car, I'd probably look for a Zonda or a 918 + something else.

24. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    I do not really think so. Unless u mean that we'd have seen immediately almost half of them flipped for 2,5 million dollars like they are being sold in Europe.

IF you really want a LaFerrari and you really think that, like they did the F40, the F50 and the Enzo, they will double or triple in value (hell I see Enzos beign sold for more than 2 million dollars nowaays in the US), then fly to Europe, buy yourself this one Auto usate: Ferrari, LaFerrari, Coupè DTC AutoScout24 pagina di dettaglio

and keep it in Europe for 25 years after which u can import it in the US and sell it vintage :)