vanquish owners? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

vanquish owners?

Discussion in 'British' started by ross, Jan 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Went through the same thoughts years ago on looking something new. I have lately opted not to sell cars as I look for something new as I tend to have sellers remorse for most cars sold.

I think the later three 65, 997T, and GTR are all solid choices and I would even throw in an R8 as a contender. The GTR is impressive, but lacks in the styling department, but I would have one for the performance delivered.

2. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    @Countach

Never change a running system - I thought about buying a second Vanquish about one year ago. I own a 06 Vanquish and got a nice offer for a 02/03 Non-S in great condition but without any upgrades/updates.

I asked the guys in the AMOC Vanquish community and they told me to leave the car as it is. The mechanician who knew the car since it was new told me,the car was without any issues so there's no need to change anything.
    The sensor upgrade is the only thing (beside the brakes update for Non-S) I'd recommend, but only if necessary.

Manual transmission - IMHO a stick shift does change the whole character of that great GT car. I know a guy in the AMOC who has a manual Vanquish, done by AM works. Very expensive, very rare. I talked to other Vanquish owners who own a paddle shift Vanq but tested the manual - they all said it changes the character of the car too much.

There should be an US car for sale somewhere in Germany (US car, polish license plates, located in Germany). When I saw it first the price tag was 149.000€. Now it's around half the price.

Trading in a Vanquish for a 65, a Porsche or a GTR is a crime. Remember how rare the vanquish is, look at the new Astons and think about it. The Vanquish is becoming very popular in future. I'll buy a Non-S in the near future. Just for having one. I love the Non-S lines but the S is better to drive.

3. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    #128 Countachqv, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    vanquish 80: thks for the heads up. I followed your steps then! just put down deposit on a 06 S vanquish with less than 10K miles.

Pending subject to PPI on Tuesday

here is a teaser
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Vanquish80

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    Wow, that's a rare interior! Is it Rothesay Red??
    Stunning beautiful!

5. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Dont know the exact code or name. Just that it was a special Aston order.Both interior and exterior.Will have to work a bit on history when I get it.
    In the price range, I just got convinced the Vanquish is the best value around all considered.It is still hand made and has caught the Italian exotic fever with ridiculous prices. This will change but now before a few years.

6. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Saw pics before on VPRace and now on Sybolics website. The car looks great all around and I am sure you will love the car. I will be interested to hear about your driving experience(s) and overall take on the car as a supporting counter to the negative nonsense that is posted. Become familiar with the window relearn procedure if the car sits for periods and the information on AMOC.org because like all exotics Astons have their quirks.

VPRACE Car Sales - 2006 Aston Martin Vanquish

2006 Used Aston Martin Vanquish S 2dr Cpe at Symbolic Motor Car Co Serving San Diego, IID 12519449

7. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    I would not even recommend a brake upgrade on non-S Vanquish. It is only a marginal improvement for an absurdly high price. A properly functioning brake system on the non S Vanquish is more than capable. I don't understand the negative comments about the brakes on the original Vanquish. They only fade on a track, and who in their right mind is going to track a Vanquish!! The S brakes will fade too after a hammering on a trackday. I have recently fitted new rotors and pads to my Vanquish, along with a brake fluid flush, and they stop brilliantly.
    As for manual transmission, I would love my Vanquish even more in manual. Nice as the transmission is now, a manual would be more engaging. Aston however now charge over £20k for the conversion, too much, I would pay 10 or 12, but not 20!!
    On the trade in, I was referring to changing the SL55, for a GTR or 65, or 997 Turbo, not the Vanquish.

8. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Color is :
    colour: Merlot Red AST1342
    trim: Iron Ore Red/Sandstorm

got that from an AMOC member who was nice enough to give me this info.

As far as the quirks and upgrades, I agree. I had significant time behind a non S from a friend's car to say that the brakes are fine for the road even in spirited driving. the car had the transmission S sensor upgrade.

Trying to arrange the shipping. If anyone has a reputable company below $2K all inclusive let me know. Need to nail this for tuesday AM so I can get the car here by next week end?

Since my body has a non S we will be able to compare the 2 side by side.

Given the car is a bit more low key, I hope that car to be a less disturbing magnet than the countach, like going to get gas or restaurant or just going visting things..

9. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    #134 steveirl, Aug 31, 2014
    Congratulations on the Vanquish, a very striking and rare colour, I wish you many happy miles of ownership.
    Here is a pic of my car, it is Tungsten with black
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    #135 Countachqv, Aug 31, 2014
  11. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

Great minds think alike.
    I was looking at that car Or a 996GT2 Or a 360 CS. All of them will be collectable.
    Got some money burning a hole..
    But I'll probably end up with a machine gun collection I've been chasing for a year which is a steal.

12. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    if the car matches its description, that car on eBay is an absolute steal. I think it should sell quickly.

13. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  14. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
  15. Vanquish80

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    Gearbox is great if you know how to handle it. That's it.

markboj likes this.
  16. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Was there an interim Vanquish in 04 with a 460 HP engine but with big brakes ?
    I swear I've seen 04's with the triangle cut rotors.

17. Vanquish80

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    Maybe it was a Non-S with Sports Dynamic Pack (SDP). Not sure if it included a brakes update, but possibly it did.

18. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Here is what the deal seems to be: On non S and some S apparently, there was some bad solenoidused.Chain of event degraded the trani to failure point if not addressed. You may have tried one of thoses (stay away!)

If you speak of the paddle shift ones, I tried a non S with a fixed transmission and the car was just fine. The S I am getting has been tried by the Aston dealer tech and he approved of the shifting.That is when I learned that apparently, some S have the non S solenoid and may go bad.

19. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I wonder why these car sit at $80K being S versions! The black has been around before I think. Was not there when I scanned the market.too bad... the silver seems great but I was not looking for a silver or white.
    Regardless, I am paying quite more than that for mine. 25-30K miles is not that much of driving if the car has been kept up to service.

For the story, the car first billionaire owner of the one I am getting was ranked the 645 richest man in the world by Forbes the year he ordered the car. That is pretty cool! the 2nd billionaire only had it a short time...

20. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    The market is very soft for these cars and they are under appreciated by the unknowing masses, who keep making silly gearbox comments. I was reading the silver one has a branded title and with the miles (just like in ferrari land) is considered high miles, which is a double death blow. I think the roof and interior offset any detractors, since it was reported that only 3-4 prototype glass pano roofs were ever made for Aston and assuming it was properly repaired in relation to the title issue. The roof was cut, new interior installed (nicest I've seen), and the car painted after all; so what does a fender and bumper work have to do with anything at that point and the price is close to representing all the factors. I recalled the owner doing a write up on how he obtained the roof on the Aston board awhile back and the thread discussion of how there was only going to be one pano top prototype car from the factory (he got a roof and made his own 2nd).

In regards to previous ownership, I would definitely say "cool", but not surprising as these were $240k+ new (price of a 458 Itaila today, but 10years ago) and often special ordered.

21. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    ah! branded title... that is a definite hit.(no punt). But at $80K and may be negotiable a bit, not a bad deal overall for a S

I agree with the gearbox issues. This was the hardest thing for me to sort out as to what this problem topic is. Lots of confusion about it out there and I think too many owner ignoring the issue on the early car may have destroyed their trani.
    I was fortunate to have a friend who bought a vanquish from an owner who had this very issue and got it fixed, so we got the story straight from the repair guy. I also tested the fixed car and using the paddle shift with the "blip" on downshift to pass cars was just pure symphony.
    These cars even the non S are much faster than I thought. You can end up at 130 mph and more in no time and not even realizing it. It is that smooth. so when driving you got to come down to earth and watch the speedo.and that with a non S!

22. Vanquish80

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    Could anybody tell a German guy what means "branded title" and why that's a bad hit?

Vanquish is very rare in Germany so prices are high for S-cars (six digits for a real good one) and mid for a Non-S I'd say.
    I've seen S-cars for about 90k USD, but they were not in good condition (poorly maintained, that's the main problem I think).

I'm curious about that "branded title" thingy... ;-)

23. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    Looks like a rebuilt wreck to me.
    "Branded" = Salvage title here in the states.

24. Vanquish80

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    Ok, thank you. I wouldn't buy it. ;-)

25. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    nope. that car is marked for life...
    I have done A LOT of vanquish reading lately and I am quite exited to get mine soon.
    Vanquish are a great deal today. They remind me of the countach 10-5 years ago. Nobody looked at them and suddently they are 1/2 million cars.

For a long time I was looking at another italian but the values are not there with prices out of control for now. 308 Ferraris marching to $100K is madness. so I looked for value over the next 5-10 years and that is hard to find today.

That said the Vanquish especially the S is not cheap in the USA if you look for a great example but it sure is a way better value that the italian cars today,when looking at a V12 thoroughbred made by hand at about 2500 units. I bought mine at the top of the price range. This has worked well for me long term. I did the same thing with the Countach and other lesser cars. Buy the best at the highest price when the model is still a great value.

I would NEVER buy a car with a salvage title other than parting it out.