Newbie 360 Questions | FerrariChat

Newbie 360 Questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by traimpz348, Aug 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    So I bought a 2002 360 F1 from a dealership, but my salesman's wife had a baby. So I was hoping maybe I could just ask my noob questions here, before my car is delivered, without bothering him (if you don't mind).

1) What is the deal with the immobilizer, I heard you have a like 30 seconds to start the car after you unlock it?

2) Any suggestions for getting the best shifts with the F1? I heard reverse kills the clutch?

3) What is the expected life of a clutch? This car has 11,500 miles and already has a new one. Is that a sign of hard driving, or improper driving, or is it normal?

4) From what I understand, the paddles replace your foot and the stick, but otherwise it's still a manual. I am assuming, if you're on a hill, you roll backwards until the clutch grabs?

5) Should you avoid downshifting into 1st gear?

6) Do you need to be in Neutral to put the car in reverse?

7) With the F430, these seems to be several modes, Sport, Race, etc. With the 360, it's just sport mode correct? Is that the suggested mode for driving? I loved my 348, so I can handle a stiffer ride.

8) With my 348, I would skip 2nd until the car was up to temp. I'm assuming you don't need to do this in the 360. Should you let the car run to warm before driving it? I know it needs to be up to temp before you tach it out.

Sorry for all the dumb questions, any insights would be really helpful. I'm sure I'll figure it out, but it would be nice to hear from owners and any suggestions they might have.

2. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    1.) Don't make the mistake of trying to start the car while the immobilizer is engaged, you'll look like an idiot as it tries to crank. Watch the red LED indicator on the left panel. If it is lit, you need to press the remote button to disarm it and then you can start the car.

2.) Best shifts are subjective - avoid any long drags on the clutch (like when starting from a standstill). Reversing up a hill is really bad for the clutch.

3.) Clutch life is subjective. My car had a new clutch at 18,000 miles.

4.) You will roll backwards slightly - there is no "hill start assist." Just be quick enough on the gas and you'll get moving forwards with very little roll back.

5.) I don't downshift into first gear. I pull both paddles and go into neutral when coming to a stop. Then I hit the right paddle to select first gear and wait on the brake until it's go time.

6.) You can be in first gear and move the reverse lever and get the reverse gear - you don't have to be in N. You just have to be stopped.

7) 360: Sport switch engages sport mode, when not engaged, it is "normal" mode. I personally like driving in Sport, and have it engaged all the time right now.

8) I let my car warm up for 5-10 minutes before driving it. Makes a big difference on the shift quality and sound of the engine.

Good luck!

3. 993turbo

993turbo Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2006
    Puerto Banus
    Full Name:
    Remi E
    1: My 360 does not crank when the immobilizer is active. As above, just watch the diode, and disarm.

8: I would not let the car stay and idle before driving. Start the car, and drive of. Stay under 3-4000rpm until it warms up.

:D

4. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    8. You clearly can tell when the car starts. Mine will idle on the high side, having a higher pitch in the exhaust. Once the oil warms up and gets through the system, you hear the rpm's and exhaust note drop, getting a little deeper. It does take about 2-3 minutes. But that's only if you haven't been driving the car. If it's warm already, get in and go.

5. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj

Interesting, I swear my car cranks as it tries to start up when the immobilizer is active. I might be wrong though - I will try and check at some point.

Also, with the idling, I'd agree with you if this were a BMW M car. In fact, for my M5, the owners manual says to do exactly what you're suggesting - start and drive off immediately, but drive it conservatively until it is warm. But, my Ferrari behaves very differently, and I can tell big differences in the drive when I let it warm up a few minutes rather than getting in and setting off immediately if it's cold.

6. f360nh

f360nh Karting

Apr 12, 2014
    NH
    Full Name:
    John Q.
    Do you guys hear any fluid movement through the internals when the car gets turned off and it all becomes quiet? I almost hear some oil or coolant being moved around through the engine for a few seconds after the shut off.

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I never noticed but it is entirely possible. This is a dry sump so the oil will run back down when the system is off. There may be other causes as well.

My car definitely cranks with the immobilzer active. It won't start but the starter spins and will eventually run the battery down.

8. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Can you stall the car?

Also, I have nightmares of this.. ha (I know it's a 430):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a52Zt5_9rrY

What did he do? I thought traction control would have prevented this (unless it was off?)

9. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #9 Kevin Rev'n, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    I am thinking he was in "Race" mode. I am guessing because I haven't tried to do that before (assuming he floored it in a turn) but in my 360 there is no way that could have happened that fast with all the nannies on. Of course to get that much "looseness" we would have sport set to on (shows as sport on dash) and ASR turned off or cancelled (shows as ASR with a line through it in display window).

Ironically I drive in this mode most often. The car feels more natural and I have a light foot anyway in turns. With all the nannies turned off I can create a wheel chirp exiting a driveway or pulling away over some paint but with them on the same application of throttle will make the car stutter and sound all wrong. My guess is that the system is overly protective and as you start to really get a feel for your car (took me about 3K miles) you will appreciate less computer adjustment to your inputs.

10. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    my car cranks with the immobilizer turned off, really embarassing on first day of ownership at McDonalds trying to start it and freaking out cause it wont start...then the Duh moment and started right up.

I have stalled my F1 360, was coming to stop light in second on a slight hill, was doing maybe 5MPH and was already in Neutral when the light went green, went into First and stalled the car. Thought you could not do that but it happened to me, that was a long time ago no issues since.

Clutch life really goes wild on these cars, some cars get 10k miles some get 30k miles (like mine).

11. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    What happens if you down shift to 2nd, and then come to a stop... never down shifting to 1st or putting into neutral?

12. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    My car will automatically drop from second gear to first gear, either just before I come to a stop or immediately upon coming to a stop. I can feel it because I'll get a little "jiggle" from the engine compartment as the gearbox drops that last gear down to first on its own. It's not intrusive, it's a nice feature IMO to let me know the car is in first. At that point, the revs are too low so you're not gonna hear the shift.

13. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    My manual 360's starter will not turn with the immobilizer activated. But it's not only a manual, it's also a European car. Perhaps one or both of these effect how the immobilizer works. It's also a year 2000, and that might be different too.

14. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    1. MY 04 F1(U.S.) will crank if immobilized.

2. When slowing to a stop, will shift to first, usually just after the car has stopped. If creeping, say up to a red light, it will stay in second. I think "Mr. Clutch" has been very well thought through on these cars.

Cheers, Andy