Why aren't Daytona's 1 mm or more? | FerrariChat

Why aren't Daytona's 1 mm or more?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Aug 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    From hearing some people speak and doing a bit of reading, it appears 275s are now 3mm cars, and if Daytona's are next in line, replacements for the 275, why are they not at one million? I remember in 2004 talking about the 250GTE and why they were 32-50K cars. "Well, they are 2 plus 2, and those cars never do well". Same with the 330GT. I remember the 288 at below 200K. "Well, they look too much like a 308". The PF Coupe we bid being too timid coming in second at around 160 at Amelia, same with the 308 Fiberglass. Stupid stupid stupid. My girlfriend has mentioned a few times about selling her Daytona. She has told me about the time someone showed up with 500K in a suitcase to buy one of the Daytonas before the last market crash. They dropped back to 125. So there are the lucky or smart ones that can sell at the top. There is the saying that pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. There are those who own the car for pure psychic income. But I still don't know why they are not at one million the way this market seems to be running. Please educate me on this matter. I know some say they made too many. I know it was a huge departure from the beautiful lines of the 275. I know the racing history is not really there to the same extent of the 275. But they are beautiful in their own right, and wonderful to drive at any speed. I've read the complaint about maneuvering the car from stop or parking. I like to fight with the skinny wheel at very low speed when parking. It makes me feel as a man should feel, same with the smells of gasoline and leather. Why aren't these 800-1.2 at this time?

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    IMO the market is being driven by new collectors with different criteria. They seem to value Ferrari with the classic 60's Pininfarina styling, this explains the strength of GTC's and Lusso's. The Daytona represents a departure from that and it is not well received by those writing the big checks these days. I agree, the Daytona is the last of the Enzo era twelve cylinder Berlinetta's.

3. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I think the very best ones probably are close to the $800k -$900k mark if not more, but I suspect most owners of the best ones are hanging onto theirs?

There also a lot for sale at the moment classic driver currently lists 25 on it's site that should keep prices in check.

As an aside as an owner with no plans to sell I hope they go down in value then people will stop asking me if I'm going to sell it.

4. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Juan be patient...just a matter of time..

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    too many made and rarely do you see one with a proper nut and bolt resoration.
    many are just tired with fresh paint the engine and on the exterior.

6. RJR89

RJR89 Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    IMO its just not that great looking. Sorta ho-hum. Just my opinion.

7. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Just my opion but I have never considered that the Daytona has the individual hand made charisma of the earlier 1960's cars.......Its not just the numbers produced but the feeling of mass production....... Could it be argued that any new model Ferrari built after the 1968 Fiat takeover suffers this way ?

8. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    +1 Kind of big lookin' from many angles....

9. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    My friend that also has a Lusso, a 275 GTB/4 and a BB enjoys driving his Daytona the best. I think it's the torque and power that he likes and off course the sound that those 6 Webers make.

Geno

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  11. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    I personally love the way it looks and went to buy one but when I drove it it was just too heavy. IMHO, and I know people say once it's moving it's fine, but I don't really want a car that drives like a truck at low speeds

12. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #12 Wheels1, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. RJR89

RJR89 Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    Spider is a completely different look. I love that style.

14. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
  15. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Any thoughts on what it may sell for? I inspected the Garrison car 17073 the last Daytona Snyder built when it sold at Gooding/ Monterey in 2008? For at that time a lot $2.2 mil or 2.3 . It had 78 miles on the odometer! Also in an unusual color..with rust bubbles on front bumpers, rust and flaking paint under the hood and a miss matched tire and replacement top. Other than that appeared all original.

16. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
  17. jjmcd

jjmcd Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
    Have you ever seen one in person? They're TINY - smaller than a new Honda Civic.

18. jjmcd

jjmcd Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
    You can address that by adding power steering from a GTC or Queen Mother or one of the (completely reversible) EZ-Electric power steering kits.

19. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    It seems a Daytona Berlinetta can top $1m now 1973 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 | Rick Cole Auctions

Also there was quite a wide range of Daytona prices in Monterey anyone get a look at the plexiglass one at RM assume it needed some work as estimate and sale price were low.

20. StephenB

StephenB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2007
    S Florida
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bruno
    What are you guys taking about??? The Daytona is an Iconic Ferrari and one of the best and most beautiful designs ... at any angle.

As for driving like a truck...man up and go to the gym...it drives like a vintage Ferrari should drive.

-K1- likes this.
  21. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Nah. It is big the the back. Kind of like ferrari's version of a jacked up 69 camaro.

22. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    I took my Daytona for a 3 hour drive on Sunday and enjoyed every minute. The top was down and the noise of the 6 webers sucking air and the symphony coming out of the exhaust was like going to the concert hall of V12 engines. The cars steering is a little heavy until you get to 20 miles an hour then it is a pleasure. The car is absolutely gorgeous from any angle. Those who have not driven one and are commenting based on what you have read in a magazine should experience one first hand. I have a number of vintage cars of different makes, and it is my go to car on a beautiful day.

23. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    +1 it is indeed "a Man's Ferrari" I see a lot of posts blowing smoke from all the magazines they've read,when you hear from real OWNERS it is different story, I am not tired of mine after 15 years ownership...Chuck

24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am not anti Daytona but it is little surprise that owners have a positive perspective or they wouldn't be owners.

I strongly suspect the vast majority of people who do not like the car would not go to the expense of purchasing one.

25. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    also, tough to find a properly restored one.