'79 308 vs '86 328? | FerrariChat

'79 308 vs '86 328?

Discussion in '308/328' started by TrojanFan, Aug 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Still looking into jumping into the 3x8 pool. Like some opinions on a '79 308 GTS vs '86 328 GTS. Both in the 65,000+/- mile range. Both priced in the mid $30's. Both need a major. On a visual, overall condition close but a nod to the 328 which has been resprayed several years back. Both fairly complete with a few mission tools and the 328 is missing the cover for the targa top. 328 has straight pipes on at the moment but has the cats in a box which may or may not be good (possible Fabspeed re-core as on my 355?). Could probably do the major myself if I can find the time. Assuming if they go to a shop I'm looking at about $5,500+ for either.

Looking for a play around toy. Options from those with experience with either appreciated.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have worked on both since new.

We have a 328.

We have never even considered a carb 308.

Any other questions?

3. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    Carb 308 : Cannot beat look and sound

4. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
    +1 for the carb 308. 328s are nice, but carb 3008 is truly special

5. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    +2

It's a personal preference, but I've driven both and to me the 308 carb was more appealing than the 328.

6. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #6 EMILIO, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    328 have some advantages honestly
    They are faster and almost bullet proof...but being a bit faster is a mute point since with 10k $ you can buy cars twice as fast. And reliability is already pretty good on early 308s
    So to me wirh classic cars... it is all about look , sound and driving feel...and here 308 carbs wins.
    Ideally the best is a glass car. If you Cannot have a glass, euro dry sump is very cool, lightand special. Bur all carbed are nice imo.

7. tifosi308

tifosi308 Karting

Jul 1, 2005
    Midwest
    +3 for the Webers

Sounds like a baby Ferrari V12.

8. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    +1

9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    328 is better everywhere except the intake sound. Turbo intercooler has a better intake sound than the carbed cars.
    I like the early 308 too, but you just buy more problems.
    Reason says 328, but everyone has his own taste so take what you want.

Ciao

10. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Iwn both version, and love them both for different reasons. Buttum line however, whenever I drive one, the smile on my face is there instantly and its the same smile whichever car I drive:):):):)

In the end the're both old cars with old technology, high maintenance and poor confort levels.

Comparing them will certainly identify numerous differences but in the end you still end up driving an old Ferrari! And for me that's the sole reason of ownership.

11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Best post here.

12. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    Carbs are very popular at the moment, but the 328 is the better car by far. I think it really comes down to how much the nostalgia and sweeter intake sound of the carb car is really worth to you, because the 328 is better in every other respect.

That said, I chose a 308 QV GTB over a 328 GTB, but only because because of my preference for the earlier styling (interior and exterior). So yes, logic tends to fly out the window with these cars. Go with your gut and buy the one that YOU like the best. Who cares what we think.

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The performance of a stock US model 1979 308 is unimpressive compared to any 328. 78 and 79 weren't banner years for the 308 here any more than 80-82 was.

( I know it is not what you are asking about here but just for the record, I would actually lean towards a 79 euro than a US 328. Those cars really sound amazing)

14. haisoodewa

haisoodewa Karting

Aug 14, 2011
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Zach M
    Been lucky enough to get some seat time in an '87 a few times this last month- another big difference no one mentioned in this thread is throttle response. I won't say it's bad in the 328, but it's nothing like the carb'd cars. For older cars it's the sound, throttle feel, and looks that are most important to me (maybe even in that order?). The 328 is a bit faster, but not so much that it's more fun. Of course, you mileage WILL vary, so drive both if you can & see which you prefer. No one on this board could ever fault you for choosing one over the other.

I bought my carb'd car last fall (~64k miles as well), and this summer it's the one I hop in whenever we have a sunny day. In fact, I'm kind of down on my 911 now because of the comparatively floppy CIS throttle response. And that's been my all-time favorite car for years.

15. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    Hi Peter,

I was exactly in your shoes when I was looking. I went with the carb'd 308 and have never looked back. Many have already posted good reasons already but I will add that, on top of the sound of the carbs etc., the plastic interior of the 328 compared to the toggles and switches of the 308 simply cannot compare. Sit in both cars, get a feel of the cabin you'll be spending your fun time in and you'll see for yourself. No offence to the 328 crowd. They are super cars and definitely less finicky than carb'd cars. But I wanted a vintage Ferrari feel. Black plastic and orange gauges vs. chrome bits and classic white on black gauges? No contest - 308 all the way.

16. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  17. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #17 jsa330, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    Was I looking to get back in a 3x8, carbed steel GTB and no other. The sounds and vintage ambiance are the best this side of the 12s at $100K less.

18. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    NO. Get the 328 and convert it to CARB, problem solve.

19. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    IMHO, The 308 looks much better but I would want an injected car. Lost

20. Rich S

Rich S Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    Monterey, California
    Full Name:
    Rich Saylor
    What the 328 has over the 308: all except QV 308's had valve issues (sodium-filled valves), 328's had more power than non-QV cars, how much more depended on which exact model, especially "euro" versions. Carbs are pretty but can be fussy. 328's have galvanized steel body panels; 308's do not. Due to limited production fiberglass 308's are very collectable but lighter bodywork- if it really was-(?) no help due to less power. Odd metric wheels are a PIA due to very limited availability of tires, even so they cost per tire what a set of 4 new 16" tires cost.

What both cars have: loads of fun factor. Both are enjoyable, particularly the targa-top version. With the Berlinetta you ALWAYS have a closed car, with the GTS, your choice. Personally I see little point in a closed-top sports car. Sedan, family car, sure, but a sports car? Not everyone agrees, of course, but there was a good reason that GTS's outsold GTB's something like 3:1 or so, or a bit more. That makes GTB's rarer, but is rarity and collectability what you want, or a fun car?

The difference in appearance is a value judgement. Black vs. body-color bumpers, orange vs. black dials, mechanical vs. electronic switches, etc. are issues but to me not big ones. I would rather have the simpler, more mechanical (and so more fixable!) AC/heat light switches of the 308 rather than the electronic stuff on my 328 GTS, but it's not a very big issue. I also would rather have the center handbrake, not the stupid folding thing on the floor (where I can barely reach it!) but again, not a major point. It's claimed- or so I've read- that the folding one on the floor works better but somehow other manufacturers have made a center console lever work, why not Ferrari????

Overall, since the newest are now 25 years old or more, condition, to some extent mileage, history of the car being well-looked after with service records, and of course color(s) and so on are important issues that affect the car's value and price. Remember that a major service can cost from $5K+ to $7K+ or more, then there are other maintenance issues- cooling system, AC, suspension, braking, electrics and electronics (if any), coachwork, rubber seals (expensive!), glass, interior- carpeting (wool), seats, etc. (leather) and so on. A good redo of the interior can easily cost $5K or more. So, if you buy a car with a lot of "deferred maintenance"- meaning stuff that should have been done but wasn't- plus paint issues, interior getting a bit worn or cracked leather and so on, it would be very easy to drop another $20,000 into a car you just bought that looked good, ran good. A reliable PPI by someone who knows the model you're interested in is very, very important, unless money means nothing to you.

So if the market trend is for a particular car to be about $60 K retail in excellent condition, you might want to shop for something for perhaps $40 K, leaving the extra for what you'll need to make it an up to date (maintenance wise), reliable car to drive. So there you are. Beyond personal preference, it's about the money, isn't it?

Good luck hunting, but choose wisely! And this... "marry in haste, repent at leisure!

Cheers, Rich

21. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Will this car be in California?

If so, a 79 Carbed car is NOT smog exempt, and may be very difficult to smog. You may want to take that into consideration.

22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What Dom said. Also, a 328 with straight pipes and "cats in a box" could be a real P.I.T.A. to register here.

Whichever way you go, I'd try to find a car that's already registered in CA. There are early carb'ed 308s here that have passed smog, so it's doable, but apparently you need to spend a lot of quality time with your Ferrari tech and the car has to be complete and finely tuned.

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    308's from Jan 84 to the end of the 308 run in 85, had better rust protection treatment than any of the previous cars.

24. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Just for information, I have the ability to register the car in NV as well which I have done with my 355. NV still requires a smog but less stringent than CA.

25. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Whatever you do, buy the best one you can afford.

Both are great, and each offer a different experience as was previously mentioned.

Look at 3-4 examples each, and by look, I mean in person, not on the Internet ;)