Any affordable modern cars similar to the Dino driving experience? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Any affordable modern cars similar to the Dino driving experience?

Discussion in '206/246' started by Pantdino, Jul 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#26 dinogts, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Lots of suggestions have been posted here, but the Alfa 4C is having a complicated birthing in the U.S. -- no one seems to know exactly who will be selling them, AND we don't have a good handle on price.

Under the circumstances, I'd vote for a 1995-1997/98 993 as being a pretty nice alternative to a Dino - more modern, more reliable, decent handling, and, well you can also get them in blue, like the one my wife chose (in Zenith Blue) to buy and use on trips when our 246gt is in for service, or when we go on trips where COLD AC is mandatory. Several other Dino owners here have made a similar choice, as did the owner of the red Turbo shown, although his choice was a "little" more expensive than my choice.

BTW - the cutaway is of a 1997 Zenith Blue 993, exactly like my car. The color shifts a lot depending upon the light.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I vote the Lotus Elise. It's designer, Julian Thomson, said:

"It's true that both this latest Jaguar concept and the Elise are partly influenced by my Ferrari Dino, a car I've owned for the last 24 years."

Julian Thomson - where are you now? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

If you've stood next to one, you will see it revels in all the glorious impracticality of the Dino, updated to current technology.

3. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Even when I squint as hard as I can, and use my fingers to squish my eyeballs, there is no way I can make that Jag (or a Lotus Elise) look like a Dino 246.

4. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    On the 4c forum website a poster there has said the dealer in Vegas is getting their first cars on August 3rd. There is a full list of US dealers posted here I believe in the other Italian cars section. AFAIK the first 500 Launch Edition cars will be $70k (many options fitted as standard) with the standard edition starting at $58k before options. There is also a spider version in development due at some point next year.

The birth of the 4C has been complicated everywhere as far as I can tell with shambolic information from Italy. If you persevere and get past this to the point of actually taking a car out for a test drive I'm sure plenty of people will love it.

5. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

The original post was about an affordable substitute - the BRZ may be a good one, as would a good used Porsche 993 or Cayman S - although both are a little more expensive than the BRZ, both are much less than the 4C.

The serious issue in the U.S. is this - Alfa bailed out from the U.S. over 20 years ago, and FIAT long before that. So, it is very unclear as to how they will accomplish what they claim they hope to do in the U.S., especially if one looks at the B@#$ S*&^ dealership list for the U.S. In large sections of the U.S., the dealerships are located in very odd areas - often far outside of major metropolitan areas.

And, FIAT is essentially a one trick pony right now, and the Alfa 8C was a standalone "burp," so to speak, in the U.S. - (intriguing and impressive, but still a burp), with nothing else in the pipeline that came to back it up (until maybe now, years later - but not now being sold through the same dealers that sold the 8C).

Further, if it is true that Alfa can only muster 500 cars (for 86 supposed dealers???) at this time for the U.S., then I am pretty sure that they will sell for well over the maximum estimated MSRP of $70,000. For which, depending upon the definitions of affordable and modern, the 4C might not fit the bill.

Finally, the Jalopnik site, referenced as the source for the Alfa dealer list in the "Other Italian cars" section of FCHAT that you mentioned, states that the list is "weird," which appears to be true, to say the least.

For example, one Jalopnik poster noted that:

"Two dealers for all of New England. Zero anywhere near Boston (largest city). This makes... zero sense.

Within 20-25 miles of Boston there are FIVE Porsche dealers. However to buy an Alfa Romeo, someone in the Boston metro would have to drive 175 - 210 miles.

Well, I wish them luck!"

That does not bode particularly well for the 4C's introduction, customer care, and service. But, it certainly harkens back to the last years of FIAT's presence in the U.S., which is no consolation whatsoever.

6. TonyJerseyUK

TonyJerseyUK Karting

Mar 21, 2013
    #31 TonyJerseyUK, Jul 22, 2014
    Well, if you're going for the Elise (and cost isn't critical) then you simply HAVE to go for this!
    Not wildly dissimilar on Dino build numbers either, ie 2,500 total prod of which circa 150 (hopefully 154!) :) were RHD (of which this one is the last RHD). Oh, and they don't make them anymore either!

Standard 0-60mph in 3.7 but this one electronically breathed on to dip below 3secs. Perfect for where I live in Jersey, where there's a 40mph max speed limit but talk of bringing it down to 30mph...... :(

Cheers,

Tony

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    One of the most iconic aspects of the Dino driving experience is the exhaust note.
    Does anyone believe the Porsche sounds anywhere close to that of a Dino?

8. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    Good choice for a DD but I would have taken look at a 996 GT3. I think they are not very expensive, fully depreciated and may even be slightly appreciating. They are the "bare bones" GT car (no electronic nannies) that deliver a lot of performance. Some might argue they are not DD but I drive mine several times a week and enjoy it every time.

Btw, I had a similar M3 with Dinan SC, injectors, exhaust and mapping, great car. Good luck with your new toy. I have no doubt you will enjoy it. Keep the GT3 in mind when you "need" another fun car.

9. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Just an update-- I've taken the FR-S on my favorite canyon road twice now and it does in fact deliver something like the Dino experience. "Moderate" power so you actually have to work the gears for good acceleration and the car starts to slide a bit at speeds that would not have you in jail or the ICU if you are seen or misjudge something. It comes with "low rolling resistance" 215 tires, so if you wanted to increase grip it would be as easy as fitting decent rubber.

I looked at Porsche 993 and early 996 as well as Boxsters, but it seemed to me you'd have to be going REALLY fast (track event speeds) to break those puppies loose and things could get ugly on a canyon road with no runoff areas.

Anyway, I think it fits the bill.

10. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The cars are exactly the same except the Subaru costs $3-5K more because it comes with or can be ordered with leather interior, dual climate controls, and something else I can't recall but no sports car needs.

I read the Scion has slightly different spring and damper rates to yield more neutral handling whereas the Subie is tuned to understeer a bit.

11. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I think the Scion package is tuned to oversteer, as per the history the car's marketing sites. The Subie understeers when compared to the Scion, but it's not a prohibitive level of understeer.

I'd want the Litchfield package, which would transform either OEM into a more fun car, IMO.

12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Don't believe everything you hear especially some of the dribble that comes from automotive journalists. It seems as though nowadays just about anyone can call themselves a journalist and the amount of mis-information that is out there is frightening.

The reality is that by law no car sold is 'tuned to oversteer'. All cars must understeer as it is much safer in the hands of the average motorist. Of course different cars have different amounts of inherent understeer but when a stock road car exhibits oversteer it is INDUCED (either knowingly or not) by the driver through dynamic weight transfer or power application.

Regarding the Scion FRS it is a wonderful car with a beautiful natural balance not often seen in modern road cars. It is this strength that many owners get in trouble over. In the relentless desire to improve owners often look to improve performance by introducing sticky tires and trick suspension to the FRS only to find the driving experience to be greatly diminished in the end. As it is the FRS has such a great balance from factory that to mess with it results in a car with too much grip and not enough power to balance it out. I have known more than one FRS owner who told me that 'they should have left it stock' with the only solution is to either invest heavily into the engine or to put the suspension and wheels back to stock.

13. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I owned a 1972 Dino from new and always lamented selling it. One day while driving past Ferrari of Denver I saw a New Red Lotus Elise parked in their lot and could not get over how much the resemblance to the Dino. I encouraged my wife to go shopping, and bought the car on the spot. The car I will say had many Dino characteristics with the exception of the Dino"s ease of ingress and egress. Handling, fun and sounds were familiar with new exhaust installed.
    Docf

14. ilconservatore

ilconservatore F1 Veteran

May 18, 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio
    What about the Hyundai Genesis coupe? 275hp 2.0L turbo and 6 speed trans sounds nice. What little I've read about the car seems positive.

15. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'm out of town so I can't confirm it, but I believe one of the mags did a comparison test and the Hyundai had power but a generally mediocre driving experience.

16. NoFerrari

NoFerrari Karting

Nov 24, 2004
    Oakland,Ca/LA
    Full Name:
    Benny
    #41 NoFerrari, Aug 10, 2014
    PantDino I saw your thread on FT86club.com when a guy was trolling your M3. I just bought my FRS on Friday. I came from an 07 Mini Cooper S & absolutely love the FRS [​IMG]