250 GTO at no reserve at Quail - BONHAMS | Page 7 | FerrariChat

250 GTO at no reserve at Quail - BONHAMS

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Onebugatti, Jun 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

what will 250 GTO #3851 auction for at Bonhams' August 15?

1. <= $20mm

2. $25mm

3. $30mm

4. $35mm

5. $40mm

6. $45mm

7. $50mm

8. $55mm

9. $60mm

10. $65mm

11. $70mm

12. $75mm

13. => $80mm

14. no idea

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    It could happen. But I hope it doesn't. And I think chances are good that it is rather less likely to happen than more likely. A noveau riche billionaire will not be attracted to the GTO. He will rather want a solid gold Veyron. I think it is more collectors who have a large collection and are really interested in history and vintage cars and are missing this one missing link that are likely to buy this car. There are enough serious collectors out there with enough money to buy it to complete their collection. I honestly hope it goes to a home like that.

I don't want your outcome to happen. ;)

2. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    Considering the GTO legend, when Damon Hill drove one at the Goodwood Revival around 2000 he came back into the drivers' changing room and gasped "I can't believe how you guys and my father raced those things - it's got no power, no grip and NO BRAKES!".

Phil Hill heard this and was outraged not by the criticism, which he knew to be true by modern standards (which are not really applicable), but what really lit him up was "...he called them 'Those Things', darn it, 'Those Things'! Can you believe that?"

Well, Australian driver Frank Gardner was also present, and he told Phil "Aah c'mon Philip - you can't expect a young blade to be attracted to a fifty year-old woman".

We all laughed - including Phil - and Damon too...

DCN

3. odgemeister

odgemeister Karting

Feb 5, 2012
    GTO owners are very wealthy and many would have the spare capital to buy a second model. As this will be the first public sale for 25 years, it can set a public price for the car.

There are lots of rumours of the $52m and $48m prices, but this sale will have, on the face of it, a transparent price. The result could set the benchmark price.

If, come the auction, it looks like there will be an underwhelming result (significantly less than the rumoured prices above), would it be prudent as a current owner to buy a second at an inflated price to set a benchmark which protects the GTO they already own?

They may also own an LM or a TR. With a GTO having a new high price, this could raise the value of these models too. Just an idea!

4. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Please! GTO owners are not obsessed with maximizing their value of the car. Quite frankly I don't think they care. They own to the car for enjoyment of the car and of the exclusive club they belong to. They buy to own a piece of history and not to add a few million to their bank account (the British DJ who likes white cars may be an exception).

I want the new buyer to be like Violati the old owner. Buy it, keep it, race it, enjoy it. ;)

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Some GTO owners paid a pittance (compared to today's prices) for their car. Time has made them millionaires. Why would they want to dilute their windfall by buying another at retail?

6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Art Dealers and gallerists are prone to this behavior, very rarely collectors.

So maybe a car dealer with some blue chip cars in his stock could conceivably do something like this. But I don't think so...

7. dmj

dmj Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2012
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Full Name:
    Dino Milic-Jakovlic
    Nice story.

Was it the occasion when an inboard camera has been installed in the car behind Damon and he kept on blocking the view to the rev counter with his hand at straights so that Nick Mason can't see how far over the agreed limit he pushed the old girl?

Auction is scheduled exactly for my birthday so I might mention it to my GF, friends and relatives... But somehow I believe that I'l get stuck with old combination of books, modelcars and wine bottles again...

8. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    That's a bit uncharitable, if only a bit. Damon wasn't blocking the view of the rev counter. He was zeroing its telltale...

DCN

9. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Was he doing that when he ended up parking the GTO in the kitty litter at Lavant?

10. 330GTMK2

330GTMK2 Rookie

Jan 16, 2013
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Edward Brown
    +1

E

11. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    No - indeed, he was not.

DCN

12. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
  13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Bonhams has already announced the ten cars available Thursday 14th August 2014 at Quail:

00338 (Dino 206 GT).
    12655 (365 GTC).
    3851 GT (250 GTO).
    033 (312 T3 F1).
    0759 GT (250 GT Cab S1).
    0312 MM (250 MM PF Berlinetta).
    0008 (246 Dino Tasman).
    35529 (512 BB LM).
    12765 (365 GTB/4 Comp Daytona Conversion).
    3615 GT (250 GT SWB Speciale Aerodinamica PF).

Marcel Massini

14. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Thanks very much!

15. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    We know this car will make a record price. We know the history of of the many recorded shunts,..We wonder how much of this GTO is ,in effect,original. But,the marketing/publicity of the sale will be wonderful news for the auction house,even if they decide not to accept the final bid. They hold all the cards.

16. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    If it's a no reserve sale I'd of thought that mean whatever the hammer falls at, it's sold.

17. RMSTR6

RMSTR6 Rookie

Oct 5, 2006
    #168 RMSTR6, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Curious go follow this as well...

PDG

19. flumpy

flumpy Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    I think 125 million dollars.

20. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
  21. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    In a way it would make sense for 10 current owners to form a secret syndicate, put $10 million each into the fund and take it all the way to the top at the aution.

They would instantly recover their investment via the increased value of their own example as a result once the new benchmark has been established and own 1/10th of this car for free.

22. Brian Elliston

Brian Elliston F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Brian Elliston
    Will the auction tonight be streaming live? I would love to watch it but didn't see anything about live streaming on the Bonham's web site.

23. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Looks like it.

Bonhams : Quail Lodge Auction - live

24. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    $65M seems to be the most popular vote in our poll. Let's see...