SF Bay Area 5-spd $22K (or is it a scam?) | FerrariChat

SF Bay Area 5-spd $22K (or is it a scam?)

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 180 Out, Jul 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    June 28 Craigslist for the SF Bay Area:

Ferrari - $22000 (walnut creek)
    1981 Ferrari 400i GT-4 Euro
    odometer: 56000
    title status : clean

Ferrari, Euro Model, 1981 400i GT-4, 5 spd. transmission; sky blue, clean interior & body; ~72,000 miles; fx. R. window in place, replacement pane included; USA/Calif. passed except catalytics; Pristine V-12 engine; owned, driven, garaged; 176 in world. Serious buyers only. Please leave your name and phone number. No photos available.

Ferrari

2. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    If anybody wants to buy this car, I've got a pair of cats with flanges -- free to a good home -- that you could bolt on this cat-less car to pass smog check. But this is one of things about this car that suggests scam. I am verrry doubtful that a 400i could pass Smog Check II without cats.

3. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    The ad doesn't seem very scammy to me, but some photos would help.

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    "No photos available" and the car is described as a "400i GT-4" along with some other obvious wrong info and some are you are wondering if this smells fishy? I must be too pessimistic since that ad stinks to me.
    If I'm wrong and someone here buys it I'll eat my words.

5. kaiser

kaiser Karting

Dec 17, 2011
    johannesburg
    Not all people know their Ferraris! I doubt this is a scam, but ho knows.
    Eating your words is not promising much.

Eating a hat is! ;-)

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah but I like my hat :D

7. palmer_md

palmer_md Karting

Feb 26, 2014
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The taste or the fit?

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes :)

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A lot of cars have had their cats removed. If that makes it a scam half the Ferraris in California are a scam too.

Sorry, not setting off any alarm bells for me.

10. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    I don't think it's a scam either, but the Bay Area Craigslist automotive listings are full of them. The dubious factors are that the price is very low for a clean 5-spd, the use of the term "GT-4" is unexpected from someone who owns one of these cars, and the representation that the car could be "Calif. passed," with the exception of catalytic converters, is a non sequitur. While some California counties do not require biennial Smog Check II roller/sniffer tests to renew registration, Contra Costa County (the location of Walnut Creek) is not one of them. Also, I believe that all sales require a sniffer test, regardless of the county. None of these factors is enough by itself to put a real fear of a scam into me -- usually what you would see would be something like a 360 Modena for $22,000 -- but when all three are included in the same add the Spidey sense should be tingling. I'd say the car is definitely worth a phone call.

11. tomgua

tomgua Rookie

Jan 9, 2006
    Danville
    Full Name:
    Tom Guadagni
    No scam, I saw it last week. The owner has shown it to several people, but he is firm on 22k. He bought it from cardinale motors of monterey in 1993 ( calif sticker) and parked it in 96 because of the smog issue. It's original blue with original TRXs. Runs and drives but needs a lot of tlc. Title and BAR papers misplaced.

12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    ...and you didn't take a single picture?!? :)

13. tomgua

tomgua Rookie

Jan 9, 2006
    Danville
    Full Name:
    Tom Guadagni
    I guess I was keeping in tune with the ad "no photos available". It would look good in pictures, because you wouldn't see the crazed paint or where someone used the hood as a step ladder. If the paperwork gets straightened out, I suppose someone will step up at that price. The hagarty price guide shows only 14999 for fair condition plus 25% for the 5 spd.

14. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Getting it registered in California with no title or BAR paperwork may be next to impossible. If it doesn't have the late version BAR smog sticker on it with the BAR code and all of the smog parts listed on the sticker installed on the car, then it could be a very expensive proposition.

When grey market cars were imported into the USA they needed to pass DOT and EPA tests, and if they were to be registered in California, they needed to pass a separate more stringent test for California emissions.

If all of the documentation is missing and it there is no proof that it passed the California test, then it could require having a California emissions lab retest and modify the car, which can cost in the tens of thousands of dollars.

15. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Doesn't the State of California have a record of the VIN and is able to replace lost documents???? If someone loses their driver's license are they required to retake the driver's test?

16. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Perhaps a good car for an out of state buyer.

17. tomgua

tomgua Rookie

Jan 9, 2006
    Danville
    Full Name:
    Tom Guadagni
  18. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Don't know if people posting in this section of FChat would be too keen about destroying one of these cars when it is in reasonable condition.

19. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    Anyone know if it could be titled in Nevada? I don't know the ins and outs of titling in Nevada so, who does?
    Does anyone have a direct line to the owner? I could be interested if,.....

20. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I think once it's 25 + years old the feds don't care, it becomes a state issue. Do you have IM tests where you live?

21. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Yep. Texas has no emissions tests for cars over 25 years