Cf rear bumper | FerrariChat

Cf rear bumper

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by m.roberts, Nov 28, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. m.roberts

m.roberts Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2009
    USA
    Is it possible to add that CF rear bumper piece to a 458 that came without it?

Thx!

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes. But its not worth it. You have to buy the new CF piece and the entire rear bumper cover, have them removed and replaced, and then painted.

You're better off selling your car and finding one that already has it. The CF piece is $4800 and I think the rear cover is close to 6 grand if I remember correctly. So, for everything you're pushing 15 to 17K.

But, if you have money to burn, it can be done.

The F430 had the exact same problem. I don't know anyone who did it unless they had an accident and rebuilt it with the CF piece and new cover.

3. m.roberts

m.roberts Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2009
    USA
    10-4. Figures.... :(

Thx

4. tonybrasco

tonybrasco Karting

Aug 7, 2011
    N.Y.C.
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    good question i was wondering the same, and good answer too lol

5. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    Is that CF piece somehow inset into a bumper that is molded differently vs. the non-CF version or is it just some type of applique?

I think the CF rear bumper definitely looks better but it's not worth $15k and the hassle to change it.

6. HK boy

HK boy Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2012
    Del Mar, California
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yes I am surprise a new bumper cover is required to fit that CF piece, the bumper cover looks identical in shape. That CF piece just looks like an add on applique.

7. Meb10

Meb10 Karting

Sep 25, 2011
    It does need a new rear bumper but I was quoted I think £5400 inc taxes and fitting in the uk around 6 months ago. That's around $9000 ex taxes as a straight conversion - too tasty for me considering it's a £2000 option when ordering a new car.

8. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    I surprised that one of the aftermarket guys don't have that piece in CF. I ordered it and really like how it looks in the sunlight.

9. INGO u-a

INGO u-a Karting

Jan 1, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ingo
    I'm also surprised that there is no aftermarket supplier that has manufactured a thin carbon fiber plate that can be glued on?
    Anyone who has found something like that?

10. BurakUsta

BurakUsta Formula Junior

May 27, 2014
    Istanbul/Turkey
    Full Name:
    Burak Usta
    I am thinking about cutting the existing trim on the rear bumper and making it like the 458 challenge style rear grill.

11. Cavallino 458

Cavallino 458 Karting

Jun 24, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Vic Rob
    I saw a rear bumper at my dealership recently which had to be removed due to a slight rear end. It had the CF insert. Unfortunately, the CF bumper option requires a 2 piece set up and is clearly different to the non CF (one piece) original bumper.

12. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #12 RBK, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Reference to a CF "bumper" is confusing. Is this about the CF piece between the tail lights, shown in black on the car pictured? Best
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Benternet

Benternet Formula Junior

May 4, 2014
    TN
    Full Name:
    Ben
    yes

14. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    #14 RCorsa, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. arcangel

arcangel Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2013
    Completely agreed with you ! It does not seem to be an exceptionally difficult piece to make . They make aftermarket door sills , mirrors , engine covers and panels .....How difficult could this be ? !

16. arcangel

arcangel Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2013
    Completely agreed with you ! It does not seem to be an exceptionally difficult piece to make . They make aftermarket door sills , mirrors , engine covers and panels .....How difficult could this be ? !

17. INGO u-a

INGO u-a Karting

Jan 1, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ingo
    I have been in contact with a carbon fiber manufacturer. They'll check out how much it would cost.

18. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    We would be willing to developing/creating a CF rear cover and or full bumper in carbon for the 458.

We are currently looking to source a 458 rear bumper. Options would be a full CF bumper cover in carbon that could be refinished leaving exposed carbon the customers preference. We have created carbon covers for other components where the carbon layer is .025 thick .

We are also always willing to work closely with any customer on developing new items.

David

19. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    A customer of ours just turned our attention to this thread.

At present we are in tooling for a very thin carbon part that can be applied over the factory bumper of the 458 giving the look of the factory part for a fraction of the cost. This requires a very accurate tool and some careful molding techniques to achieve a part that fits like it is from the factory.

The part we are producing will be removable from the factory bumper and will not damage the paint below. Compared to the OEM route of replacing and re-painting the whole rear bumper we feel that this route will be able to offer customers a carbon option for the back of their 458 that does not compromise the original paintwork.

Best of all we are targeting a kit price of under $1K USD backed by the same great quality, installation instructions, and customer service that Carbonio has built its business on.

Interested owners can PM us to be given updates to availability and we expect first deliveries in later 3rd quarter 2014.

20. Feepay

Feepay Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Bucks County , PA
    Full Name:
    Ron Felipe
    PM sent, thx.