Leno driving a Ferrari | FerrariChat

Leno driving a Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 360Tom, Jun 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
  2. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Very cool but dang switch out the tires lol. Would suck to wreck it as a result of a 60 yearold tire

3. DNJS328

DNJS328 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 25, 2011
    Arlington, TX
    Full Name:
    Don P.
    Great video. Thanks for posting. I agree about the tires and funny how many times it is brought up. Keep the originals for show but get a second set of wheels and tires for driving.

4. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Awesome - thanks for posting!

5. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Wow that's very neat, thanks for sharing! On a side note, why does Jay have to keep touching and leaning on it?

6. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I was thinking that to myself the whole time... Fingerprints? Lol

7. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
  8. bcc

bcc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 31, 2006
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    Brent
    Great video! I'm surprised they drive it on those tires?!?!

Fantastic car and great piece of history.

9. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Yes saw this too. Fabulous car.

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Because he can pay cash for the thing if he wants to.

11. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I don't know about that, the guy from Petersen did not answer the question on value. While lacking in race pedigree, it more than makes up for it in history, originality, ownership, one off etc. My guess at the right auction this car would pull as much money as a 250 SWB or Testarossa...well north of $30M, in my opinion.

MB

12. SeanPeterLynch

SeanPeterLynch Karting

Jun 17, 2014
    Maybe his hate for ferrari is fading

13. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jay Leno has no "hate" for Ferrari. He is a true car guy and a very kind man in person. I had the pleasure of sitting at a table for lunch with Jay a several years ago at Quail.

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    He could pay cash for it..no problem. Jay is a very, very rich man. I just wonder what his annual costs are for his collection and buildings. Including the full time techs he has maintaining it. Never mind the fact that every car he has is insured and licensed.

15. ZAMIRZ

ZAMIRZ Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Amir
    ^An interesting anecdote: He has claimed that he spends none of his Tonight Show earnings on anything related to his car collection.

16. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    Just guessing, but I'd say that in spite of his ubiquitous blue work shirt, Jay doesn't spend a lot of time waxing and polishing fingerprints off of his huge car collection.

If you don't have an appreciation and/or an understanding of something, you can inadvertently look like a jerk. Even though I've heard Jay is a really nice guy, I doubt if he has a lot of wax-on-wax-off time under his belt. I'm sure if I went to a golf tournament I would forget to whisper. Or if I found myself in the Tonight Show green room, I wouldn't know what to do with the complimentary cocaine and bowl of M&Ms with all the brown ones removed.

17. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I'm pretty certain that you will find that Jay Leno knows his way round a toolbox and knows his way round cars and engines pretty well actually!

If they didn't think the car was too precious to have it driving out on the public streets with 50 year old tyres on it and the risk stone chips and other cars running into it then I'm pretty certain they were not too bothered about him touching it!

It's a bloody car at the end of the day! - It's not as though he was handling ancient delicate documents with his bare hands!

As for the blue denim shirt:

I suspect you will find that this isn't some sort of act to try to appear to be just like an ordinary bloke!

I'd say it's because it simplifies his wardrobe greatly and, based on on long these shirts can last, they represent good value for money!

Jay Leno wasn't born into money, he didn't come from a rich family, he earned his wealth and so he probably appreciates value for money to this very day! - Not everyone who is rich feels a need to flaunt it with fancy clothes!

18. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    No doubt, Jay is very wealthy and could buy the car, assuming 30M+, he'd have to sell some investments, doubt he has the cash just laying around and would think real hard about spending 20% of his net wealth. My opinion, Jay would not go to the bank for a Ferrari, any Ferrari, but would spend the $$ on a Bugatti Royal if one were to come up.

MB

19. fast&faster

fast&faster Karting
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern Ca
    Full Name:
    Stephen Mark
    Send the "Complimentary Cocaine", my way. I Definitely KNOW..."What to do with it"!!!

20. fast&faster

fast&faster Karting
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern Ca
    Full Name:
    Stephen Mark
    You must have Flunked Math in school!!!

Jay Leno's net worth is 350 Million!, which means a 30 million dollar car is less than 10% of Jay's net worth, NOT 5%!!!

Jay Leno Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

21. fast&faster

fast&faster Karting
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern Ca
    Full Name:
    Stephen Mark
    DAMN!!!...I criticize your math & Screw Up my Own!!!...should read "Less than 10% not 20%".

22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'll bet it's more. Jay's wealth I think is way under valued. He may well be one of the most wealthy people in Hollywood.

23. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That's fantastic, but the 60 year old tires are insane. With a car worth about $30 million, you'd think Peterson could have another set of wheels and tires for it.

Cheers,

George

24. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I love the video. Thanks for sharing.

The shirt is, I think, a comfortable shirt he like to wear when he is just hanging out in the garage.

He has an obvious interest and love for many things automotive, I hope this might help to put an end to the Jay vs. Ferrari thing. Otherwise this could become the often mis-told story like the "new car" gift story.

I love the way he turned around, playing for the camera, and asked if he might get a ride in it. ... I think he knew. ;)