The Welcome Decline of "Resale Red" Vintage Ferraris | FerrariChat

The Welcome Decline of "Resale Red" Vintage Ferraris

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jjmcd, May 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjmcd

jjmcd Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
    #1 jjmcd, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
    The string about 0473SA , which was apparently originally metallic burgundy with a silver roof but is now a "resale red" that does not at all favor the car (see: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-thru-365-gtc4-sponsored-vintage-driving-machines/321473-what-car.html), along with the Chasing Classic Cars episode in which Carini discovers in the course of a restoration that a presently "resale red" Daytona Spyder was originally metallic green and the owner decides to restore it to that color, apparently much to its benefit from value perspective (see: Chasing Classic Cars: Restoring a Spyder : Velocity) and the McQueen Lusso being restored to its original brown (marrone) color (see: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-thru-365-gtc4-sponsored-vintage-driving-machines/109158-steve-mcqueens-ferraris.html), made me think that perhaps the era of people painting all vintage Ferraris rosso corsa (a/k/a "resale red") is coming to an end and there will be more blues, greens and other interesting period colors.

Any thoughts?

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    #2 Edward 96GTS, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
    mcqueens car was restored in resale red, as mcqueen preferred that color.

3. jjmcd

jjmcd Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
  4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  5. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Have a look to the cars restored for Leslie Wexner in stupid red colour and you will see that this period is unfortunately not finished...

6. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    My interest in Ferrari started over 45 years ago and each school holiday included a visit to Maranello Concessionaires. I avidly collected registration numbers in those days, being completely unaware of the significance of telaio, and recorded just one rosso car in 4 or 5 years - a 275 GTB.

In those days new Ferraris were invariably argento, azzuro, blu sera or scuro or rosso rubino and the like - with the odd gold or green example. Even early Dinos were finished in similar shades and resale red only rose to dominance when these cars were restored.

On another thread, a member wrote something to the effect that all Ferrari look good in red. I beg to differ, and would suggest that the subtle metallics usually show off Pininfarina's 1960s designs to the best.

7. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    While I did my share back in the day, it was mostly cars that were or should have been red, like 9057, a 275GTB/C, or 0376, a 375MM. Even then (in the sixties/seventies), I tried to eschew red, painting several of them Rolls Royce Regal Red, which was an elegant metallic burgundy. Elsewhere (more old photos?) I have posted a pic of 2 lines of 275GTB/4's at the factory, and it's notable that just a few were red. I'm glad that the desire for true originality has brought about this change in attitude.

8. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I think my father was an early offender of re-sale red syndrome, although it was obviously not for re-sale purposes since we still have the car. In the 5 years between May 1955 when it was made, to June 1960 when he bought it, it was French racing blue, then a dark blue (at Sebring '56), then red, then a gunmetal blue when dad bought it. He took it down to bare metal and painted it rossa corsa in 1960 since he thought that's what racing Ferraris should be. We took it back to FRB in 2008.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm removing the resale red on my 365GT. Of course, it's been red most of it's life so far (since 1981).

10. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    It's interesting the IAC/PFA does not care about this topic.

"The key purpose of the concours is to promote the preservation of the Ferrari in it's original
    state"

Try to get a top flight award at a Corvette event with car painted the non original color.

11. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    #11 daytonaman, May 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    The metallic paints became a must on the Italian GT cars during the '60s thanks to the new products by Herberts, Glasurit and PPG. Even the affordable brands, like Fiat, introduced 2/3 metallic colours on the catalogue.

However there are many sources available today, the period magazines and the archives for example, which can be helpful to the owners. I know some here in Turin.

13. cam man

cam man Karting

Nov 6, 2004
    I purchased a red 330 GTC about two years ago. I agree that red is about the worst color for this car. Currently the car is being returned to its original Celeste. I also own a red Daytona but that is the original so what can you do! The GTC is an elegant car that needs and elegant color. Red is too aggressive but very fitting on many other Ferraris.

14. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Agreed, original color should be a part of judging. Exception would be if an alternative color was historically significant for that serial number.

Jeff

15. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    A common sentiment among those who believe that Ferraris started with the 308.

And from the mid-70's on, many Ferrari models do look lovely in rosso corsa. The 288 GTO and F40, for example, just don't look quite right in any other color.

My 308 GTB, however, is argento - perhaps the very best of the many colors that it looks good in.

But to those of us who love and appreciate vintage Ferraris, there are actually very few models that look best in rosso corsa. A great idea for a 250 GTO, but not for a Lusso. . . a 330 should not be red. Metallic greens and even brown look magnificent on these classic cars.

In any case, it's folly to re-paint a vintage Ferrari in a non-original color - especially if it's only to increase the odds of selling it. Those who appreciate the true value of a vintage Ferrari will like it better in its original color, whatever color that may be.

It is to be hoped that the practice of repainting vintage Ferraris in rosso corsa just to increase resale value will come to an immediate end.

16. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I don't think any design process considers what color would look best on a car.

However, I do think during design, current colors are used and help assist in the final design details. I think these vintage colors help accentuate the beauty of the design.

When one goes and puts colors on cars that weren't really common at the time of design, one starts to lose some of the artistic aspects that were very relevant at the time.

The resale red phenom has definitely started to subside. I think it has been greatly helped by important shows having a field of red and then something different starts to catch ones eyes.

As much as I am happy to see vintage colors return, I am also thankful the Vintage Ferrari world is much more relaxed than the Vintage Porsche world.

17. Black Flagged

Black Flagged Rookie
    BANNED

May 23, 2014
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Alex Joey
    Since originality is paramount to garnering the highest resale value in collectible cars, regardless of make. I don't see how a non-original color (respray) adds to value. Does a non-matching numbers drive train increase value?...it's a rhetorical question...Alex

18. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    A crappy color combination unless very unusual or one off generally benefits in my experience with Gullwings anyway with a tasteful color change. All my record breaking RM and Gooding auction 300SL's were color changes.

19. Black Flagged

Black Flagged Rookie
    BANNED

May 23, 2014
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Alex Joey
    Hello Mark; I tried doing my own research in regards to the number of factory colors for 300SL Gullwings, but was unable to get a definitive answer. Mark in your research & experience, "How many factory colors were offered for 300SL Gullwings?" & in your experience garnered from sold examples, in order of most desirable to least desirable, what would the color spectrum look like?

If I had the financial means & could pick my most desirable exterior/interior color combo, I would select a Silver Exterior with a white interior, but then. Is their really a bad color on a 300SL Gullwing???!!!...Alex

ps, sent you a PM Mark, Thanks!

20. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #20 andymont, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
    There are die hard clichés, such the one stating that all the Ferrari (and Maserati) must be painted in red.
    This cliché goes hand in hand with the other one representing Italians only eating pizza and spaghetti and playing the mandolin ... This is essentially the result of a lack of culture.

The Ferrari cars (and Maserati), intended for common customers, have always been high-performance luxury cars. Few cars were intended for racing purpose .
    So most of the cars, like haute couture dresses, were originally painted in a way appropriate to their status.
    These extaordinary cars were born painted in nice tasteful colors, which fully exalted the elegance of their forms intended to run through the most exclusive roads of the world .

Designers like Vignale and Pininfarina have created for this purpose stunning color combos that only the lack of culture and taste of some collectors have reduced to a "resale-red".

Ciao

Andrea

21. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Unless an individual car has a distinct claim to fame (racing record, celebrity ownership etc.) repainting it in a different period color shouldn't be an issue. Ideally it should be done with original paint composition but that's another issue.