Diesel/H1 Hummer question for the experts | FerrariChat

Diesel/H1 Hummer question for the experts

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by DocE, May 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DocE

DocE Karting

Jul 27, 2009
    Edmond, OK
    Full Name:
    Name
    I have a 2001 H1 6.5L turbo diesel wagon with 54k miles. It has been running well. My wife drove it the other day to deliver something across the neighborhood and tells me it started fine and while driving at low speed towards home, it quit and wouldn't restart. It had an odd smell immediately after. Now it will crank but doesn't start. And the glow plug light no longer comes on when you turn the key on. A glow plug issue should not cause the engine to quit once it's started and warm, correct? If the glow plugs aren't working I can see why it won't start but dying while driving makes me think more of a fuel delivery issue. This is my first diesel and the Hummer boards aren't very active so I thought some of my F-car brethren might be able to offer some input/advice. Thanks in advance.

2. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I never owned one but my next door neighbor did.

I am not an expert but it sounds to me you have an electrical problem. It could be several places but most likely the single wire from the distributor. Even if the wire is attached check it for continuity, oth ends. Most likely your problem lies there.

I would also clean your battery attachments. They tend to corrode, It never hurts to clean them anyway.

best

Lee

3. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    You could try spraying a very small amount of starter fluid into the intake to see if it will try to light off. If it has a black heater plugging that in may help too. But it is possible the injection unit crapped out. I would check some of the diesel boards for GM/Chevy. Same engine, just a lot more out there. As for the glow plugs, find the relay and see if it's coming on and go from there. Those are very basic engines. I don't have a lot of experience with the older GM diesels, but the same principles apply. Fuel, air, and compression.
    When it's turning over is it faster than normal or normal?

4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    It could also be bad fuel or clogged filter....possibly fuel pressure.

5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    "And the glow plug light no longer comes on when you turn the key on. A glow plug issue should not cause the engine to quit once it's started and warm, correct?"

u have some type of electrical / ignition issue. that light should always come on even if it is for a second.

6. DocE

DocE Karting

Jul 27, 2009
    Edmond, OK
    Full Name:
    Name
    That was my thought too henryr.

7. DocE

DocE Karting

Jul 27, 2009
    Edmond, OK
    Full Name:
    Name
    UPDATE: So I took the truck in. Turns out it was the low pressure fuel pump that was bad. It blew the fuse to the PCM so in essence the PCM was dead too. No damage to the PCM - new pump and the truck is back running great. Thanks again for all the help!