Daytona values | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Daytona values

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Drew Altemara, Feb 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdw3

mdw3 Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think the price will be closer to $3M than $2M, at the current rate.

Michael

2. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Agreed I just got offered one @ $2.7MM

3. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    Can someone please tell me the appeal of the Daytona? Weren't there lots of these cars built? I heard that apart from straight line performance, the car doesn't handle very well.

4. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    I think that you can say that about most of the road going Ferrari's. You should drive one for yourself and make your own conclusions. At that time it was considered the finest sports cars in all categories. You can't compare cars from that era to todays cars. The Daytona checks all of the boxes for a vintage sports car.

5. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    There were more made than the cars that preceded them at just under 1300 coupés and 122 Spyders, so hardly common place. Production numbers are actually similar to that auction house darling the 300SL Gullwing.

They are a bigger and heavier car than the 275, but counter it with a roomier cockpit (which if you are 6ft 2" like me is important) and significantly more power and torque.

It is more a car for fast open roads than tight and twisty back roads but it is a superb GT car that is comfortable over long distances.

I love 275s and 250s but wouldn't trade my Daytona for either of them at any price.

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Drive one on the open road.

7. cam man

cam man Karting

Nov 6, 2004
    I have owned an F40, 288, 458, 575M, 330 GTC, 360 Challenge, 250 Boano and a Daytona! I cant explain why but the Daytona is my favorite!

The Boano is up there too!

8. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

I am sure you are not being dismissive in your comment re the MIGHTY, ICONIC, ENGINEERING TOUR DE FORCE, UNBEATABLE RACING HISTORY, POTENTIALLY THE SINGLE GREATEST PRODUCTION CAR EVER BUILT not to mention DROP DEAD GORGEOUS Mercedes Benz type 198 300SL Coupe' or GULLWING ??? IMHO...obviously !...the daytona (small caps) pales in comparison on so many levels that one cannot even mention in same breath!!

I am a huge daytona fan, but no real technological innovations nor other redeeming factor(s) can be associated with the 365gtb/4 as they can with the 300sl. Daytona is a cool car but did nothing to further sports car or automotive history. Think about what the 300sl means to the industry and all the cutting-edge (for it's time) design that came with it: recall the disappointment associated with the unveiling of the 365 gtb/4.

The daytona is just another Ferrari who's 15 minutes of fame (again!!) has arrived...the 300sl is Legendary and Eternal.

Jack

9. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #59 Vintage V12, May 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    That's it.......l o l

Jack

11. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    A friend who owns a 275 4cam, Lusso, 330 GT and Boxer tells me that his favorite car to drive is a Daytona. So your claim makes perfect sense...

Geno

12. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Geno, I agree 100% the Daytona is a fun car to drive. The hard steering rap is not an issue, as parking is not it's job - full throttle is! Try one you will like it. Jim

13. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    All I can say is I had the choice to buy a 300 SL roadster when I bought my Daytona after driving them both the sexy Italian won out, 15 years later I would not change a thing.

14. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

the sl is better loved by the market...at least the values would indicate.

I should add this applies to the coupe only.

15. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Have you seen the roadster prices lately?

16. ferraripete

$1.8-2mm?

I am a coupe guy however:) gtb/4 and gull wing!

17. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Auction house darling referred to the fact that every Gooding or RM auction over the last few years seems to have included 1 - 2 Gullwings or 300SL roadsters, and that it and the F40 are the only cars built in four figure numbers I can think of that are currently selling for over $1m.

I would love a 300SL and appreciate it was a technical tour de force, but as I'm sure you are aware market values and the car technical abilities seldom go hand in hand (in fact the opposite can sometimes happen).

18. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Don't get me wrong I still Admire the 300 SL roadster every time I see one, but when it came down to a 6 cylinder car( with what about 200 hp) and a 12 cylinder with 352 hp the exhilaration when driving was not even close. I went for the driving experience not what 'the market' said. Still get goose bumps when opening the garage too.

19. mdw3

mdw3 Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have owned both (in coupe form) and I have to say, notwithstanding the respective technical specifications, the sense of occasion is always much more powerful on a drive in the SL than in the Daytona. Most people would agree that, for members of the general public, the 300SL coupe is the most iconic road car in history.

Michael

20. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Michael I can understand that coupe to coupe, I am talking about open cars ...still 6 cylinders and 200 hp!

21. ferraripete

215-220 hp :)

22. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
  23. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    one-owner, euro spec, 53k miles with 2010 $60 usd mechanicals with little usage since....along with unusual colors black/red....what's not to love? Autosport Design here in Long Island NY selling "same car"...blk/red....ask $725k usd. Will be interesting price action.

Jack

24. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
  25. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name: