CS Market | Page 229 | FerrariChat

CS Market

Discussion in '360/430' started by stokpro, Mar 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Does this mean everyone who stores their car for the winter has a car thats rotting and rusting away?

Ive had dirt bikes and snowmobiles since I was a child.....bikes sat all winter...snowmobiles sat all summer....NEVER had problems....still to this day.

2. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Just telling you what I think with regards to "mileage". The conversation started with regards to super low mile, 10 year old cars.

And, we're not talking about your station wagon that got stored for the winter. We're talking about cars that people will still want 20-100 years down the road.

I was CS shopping in 2010 and looked at cars that sat and they had lot's of problem. Sooooooo

You don't have to agree with me. Do what you want.

3. PVEferrari

PVEferrari Formula Junior

If I were in the market for a CS, I'd purchase your CS (if it was on the market) over the one they have at Miller Motor Cars w/ 627 miles on it.

Good for you for exercising your CS regularly!! :)

4. PVEferrari

there you go, a proven fact.

5. maomaoferrari

maomaoferrari Karting

Jan 23, 2004
    I work mostly overseas but build my collection in the US due to cost of cars and availability of space. My cars sit for 3 to 4 months under a cover at a time while I am away. I keep up with maintenance and drive them whenever I am back. I do not worry either way about too much or too little miles, because cars to me are just toys. If one day they appreciate then great, it only means I've had my fun without any cost. I don't worry what the cars do when Im not using them.

Sent from my SM-N9002 using Tapatalk 2

6. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    What was the asking price for the CS at Miller Motor Cars? ( Sale is Pending ).........thanks.

7. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    I dont think anyone disagrees with what your saying here. Its sound advice.

Its the 7 day comments that sparked a couple responses. Is it ideal, sure.....but plenty of people store cars and machines for a couple months each year due to weather and then exercise them regularly when possible...I wouldn't consider these to be "rotting".

8. supratime

supratime Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2006
    7 is the magic number for everything in life for some reason... #ruleofnumberseven

9. Georgescott

Georgescott Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2009
    Yes because god made the world in 7 days ;)

10. PVEferrari

I think $235K

11. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H

Seems like they've picked up too , £140-150k is my guess

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. ThreeSixtyM

ThreeSixtyM Karting

Aug 3, 2009
    UK
    They're much cheaper in Europe, below €100,000 in some cases, which is just under $140,000, or just over £80,000.
    -car in question had 36,000km; 22,000 miles. Private sale, Germany.

13. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't want to take this further off-topic, so this will be my last post on this particular issue.

One thing I can say we will agree on with confidence is that you should never move to a place with a serious winter : )

I agree with some of your points, but I disagree with 7 days and a number of other general statements that don't make sense to me. The only reason I bothered to reply (certainly you are entitled to your opinion) is that I don't what people to worry and not enjoy their cars. There is nothing to rust in a semi-modern fuel system on an aluminum engine car (last ~30-40 years roughly) - as an example. The fuel will lose octane over time and eventually go bad for sure, but that takes many months.

Yes - letting it idle is not good - you are just introducing fuel and water into the car. But I would point out that people have been doing exactly this for many years without serious issues. Maybe they diluted the fuel and oil and introduced additional wear I suppose, but even that is potentially negligible if the car is actually driven.

That's cool - it works for you and you are able to do it in your environment. More power to you. My point is simply that there is no actual basis for such an aggressive recommendation and it is literally impossible for many people to exercise their toys every 7 days. We sometimes go 7 days below freezing in Pittsburgh; the rivers freeze for weeks. People store their cars and pull their boats out of the water in the winter. We don't see issues with this - I have many friends with high performance cars as data points.

Aluminum is not going to adsorb water when it is closed and coated in oil. Even without oil, and inside an engine, there is not going to be any serious oxidation. If there is, there is a serious problem. Case in point - my 308 had roughly 30k miles in 30 years on it before it was opened. Not heavy use at all. The inside of the engine, save carbon build up on the pistons, looked new.

The "steam" coming out of the engine is not water, it is hot air coming from the engine and mixing with the cooler air outside the engine. That is what creates the "steam" outside the engine. The PCV system should also handle this and other vapors like those from oil blow-by. If you have actual water being released from inside the engine, you have serious issues like coolant in the oil/fuel.

Sure - but it takes a long time. You see 308's with old rubber belts that have been sitting for 10 years and still run. I wouldn't recommend it, but months is not going to damage a belt. Of course, if you live in very humid or dry environments, that is a concern. I keep my garage between 35-50% humidity year round; and between 50-85F. Also - heavily corrosive environments are definitely a concern too - like right on the ocean.

10 year old car with 1000 miles. Yah I agree - there might be issues. When I was looking for my scud, I was looking for one that had been driven a decent amount; I did not want low miles. I bought my M3 new and have about 50k miles over 6 years on it.

Again, I don't want to take this far off topic - there is definitely a need to run these things, but storing your car in bad weather, or when you need to travel, is not going to kill it in my experience. If that is all you do (1000 miles in 10 years; big gaps in between uses and never serious use); then I agree, you are setting yourself up for some issues.

Have a good one!

14. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I still see you trying to disagree and then agreeing.

If what you say is true, how come I had such trouble buying a CS 4 years ago? Many examples I looked at were low miles and they all had service issues and those issue were due to "lack of use".

I'm not trying to alarm anyone. Anything mechanical can be fixed. The car is not going to turn to dust. My only point was "spending lots more money for a low mile example" doesn't really make sense to ME. Of course this will continue forever and I don't care. I think it's great CS's are trading at these numbers. But I wouldn't buy a low mile older car unless I was going to disassemble it and hang it one the wall.

We will have to agree to disagree on some of your points. Climate controlled garages are another one of my "pet peeves" (I hate using that term). If your car is in an air conditioned environment and then you open the garage door, condensation will form all over everything inside the car that is cool. Electronics, wiring, etc.

My company runs process equipment to make the products I sell. It all runs using automotive belts. These belts run for thousands of hours without changing unless........... A piece of machinery sits for a while and we decide to crank it up out of the blue. Belts get stuck in shape and or get brittle etc. I just have way too much first hand experience with these issues to accept what you propose.

Let's just agree to disagree. Do what you want. My original point was referring to a super low mile, 10 year old CS. That's not a car that's "rarely used". That's a car that's "never used".

15. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't see why you think one must agree or disagree entirely with no middle ground. Have a good one man.

16. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Must be cloudy in Gunnison 365 days a year! lol.. (inside joke)

17. PVEferrari

I thought #5713 was your last post on this particular issue. ;)

Am glad to live in sunny So. Calif, no harsh winter ever...

18. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Psssst - but 91 octane.

I win. : )

19. PVEferrari

I'll take sunny, warm weather, & 91 octane over east coast climate any day... :)

20. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
  21. Challenger CS

Challenger CS Rookie

Jul 17, 2012
    Singapore
    Well its simple, you either have a CS or you dont. With regards to a low mileage CS or a high mileage CS, a mechanic would know what would need to be serviced if you have a low mikeage CS and that mechanic, if good, woukd also know what to service for a high mikeage CS. Low mileage..maybe F1 sensor failure. High mileage CS..needs a f€£ing overhaul. It is not a ferrari if it doesnt have issues. Let me all ask you, an F40 also has issues, so why complain..just be happy you got a CS others would love to have..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

22. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    That's my car's twin ! Somebody here should get it if all checks out.

23. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    For the guy (or gal) that wants into a CS without paying a premium, here's your chance. Black over black leather example with ~45k miles, $115k. PM me for more info.

For reference, the last low priced CS (the Blu Le Mans car), even though it had a "story" sold in just a couple days. The last high mileage CS (~56k miles) sold in one week.

24. Georgescott

Georgescott Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2009
    10 years from now mileage won't matter at all.

25. supratime

supratime Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2006
    Grap a CS while u can ppl.. Whether u like it or not... prices are going northbound.. You don't wanna chase it.. But makes it tough when no one is selling lol... maybe sellers will eventually unload at 500k+