400i rear shock replacements | Page 2 | FerrariChat

400i rear shock replacements

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by orfeva, Mar 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's not correct.
    It is possible to adapt the Mercedes pressure accumulator spheres #140 328 05 15 to the 400/412 self leveling suspension, but the shock absorbers are quite different.

M

2. GrigioAlloy

GrigioAlloy Karting

Sep 28, 2009
    Netherlans
    Full Name:
    Peter
    My 412 from 1986 has given up also.
    Shocks feel locked and while driving it feels like i have solid suspension.
    Car is level though.

Does anyone have experience in Europe with a rebuild and the cost involved.
    Location is not a problem as I am happy to drive to Italy or Switzerland with the parts if that works.

I just do not want to spent € 5.000 on a rebuild.
    I asked Intrax for a quote and no doubt it will improve handling but price is about €5k.
    (which means the hydraulic will be completely removed). Thanks.

3. 300man

300man Karting

Mar 19, 2010
    Mine are at AREPA, in Sion, Switzerland for a rebuild. They are for an early 400iGT. I understand the self-levellers are different on the 412 as they have their own hydraulic supply from the car, but it's worth giving Adrien a call or an email, as he's got the tooling and bits for Koni rebuilds. Speaks most European languages fluently ( Apart from English ) There is a link to his home page on my previous post on page one of this thread. I don't get a discount from him for referrals, but he's worked for me on previous projects , one set of 400i rear shocks two years ago, and some work on my 1964 Mercedes 300SE coupe, so I trust him.
    Good Luck!

4. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Quite possibly the only the accumulator spheres need replacing, shocks could be ok.

M

5. GrigioAlloy

GrigioAlloy Karting

Sep 28, 2009
    Netherlans
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I have contacted him and he did reply. Trying to diagnose my problem as I think the problem can not be that both shocks (both sides) give up at the same time.

I most likely will dismantle the shocks and bring the components over myself (not that far away) so I get a better feeling for what I can expect. His innitial response gave me confidence he can do this.

Are there any tricks or tests you can do to establish what actually needs repairing?

Thanks for sharing the contact. It will not be fast but will try and gets pictures of this project so other owners will understand what it takes. But be patient please.

6. kaiser

kaiser Karting

Dec 17, 2011
    johannesburg
    Being from the US, you should know the saying:

"Don't fix it if it ain't broken",

which I think is very good, right up there with:

"There's not substitute for cubic inches"

and the last good one:

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without."

7. mikepama90

mikepama90 Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Its easy to rebuild those koni shocks, my shop rebuilds them all the time.

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
  9. 400silver

400silver Rookie

Oct 9, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Michael Keunecke
    Hello GT Jones, do you or anybody else have the information witch accumulator (from Mercedes, or any other car) could be used for the 400i ('1984)? I suppose the base pressure is key for the right selection, but also it would be preferable if oil hose can be fitted without big changes.
    TKX for Help
    Michael

10. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Mercedes-Benz part # 1233200215. Keep in mind a mounting bracket will need to be fabricated and some of the fittings adapted.

11. 400silver

400silver Rookie

Oct 9, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Michael Keunecke
    Thankx a lot, I also got a diffrent number which is # 140 328 05 15, also a Mercedes Benz part, but looking a little bit diffrent. Hard to say if fiitungs of hoses are diffrent….

12. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Some of the Citroën guys are repairing accumulators (sphere in French). Not all the spheres can be serviced (fully depleted = beyond repair), don't know if they are still in business, but maybe you could give it a try: [email protected] . €50 per refill ...

13. 400silver

400silver Rookie

Oct 9, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Michael Keunecke
    TKx for the hint, but I thin k a repair is not possible, because the Membrane is leaking, so a Refill with N2 is not possible.

14. haudimal

haudimal Rookie

Dec 10, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ralph Bauer
    In the technical data of this Mercedes part a pressure of 23 bar is indicated,but 160 bar is written on the original accumulators.

So I think there might be a problem?

15. Art400i

Art400i Rookie

Nov 16, 2013
    Hi Mike, do you still rebuild the Koni self leveling shocks? Mine seem to be at the end of their time. Thanks for a reply.
    Same question for all the others who might read that post: Where can I have the self levellers repaired? Do you know some adresses? Many thanks! Tom

16. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Rovexenius is in touch with a fellow f400club member in new caledonia (see https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/400i-brake-booster-not-functioning-after-complete-overhaul-from-f400-club-member.592359/). He told me the guy managed to find an enthusiast in Australia (or new zealand) that solved is break problem. He is also capable of servicing the load leveler.

You could also replace the levellers and use coil-overs instead (https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/replace-self-leveling-suspension-with-something-modern-need-steps.527434/).

If my levelers are shot I will consider salvaging a pair of nivomat (self leveling dampers) from a volvo/BMW and use these in lieu of the Koni levelers. Major issue here is to find an absorber with the proper length and then replace the spring of the main koni damper so that the combined spring rate of the nivomat + main Koni damper + Updated sping is equivalent to the original setup .There are no documentation for these nivomats (as these are OEM parts), so the most "reasonable" approach is to grab a few of these in the junk yard and pick the ones that matches our ride heigh.

The somewhat simpler Monroe Load Levellers could probably do the trick: unlike nivomat, these are not acting as a damper (only leveller).

Already initiated too many projects on my car so will keep this for later!

17. Cdcasarella

Cdcasarella Rookie

Apr 29, 2016
    pound ridge ,ny
    Full Name:
    charles casarella
    Yes, I had my 412 KONI self leveling shocks rebuilt thru Ferrparts in Sacramento, speak to Doug Axt.

18. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I had two rebuilt by: http://www.fjbshocks.com/.in AZ.
    I bought two NOS shocks when I had one of mine leaking at seal. I replace the leaking one and the equivalent one on opposite side with the NOS shocks and all is good. I had the two I removed rebuilt by FJB but they in in my spares cabinet to use when needed, so I can not comment on quality. If I remember it took some prodding to get them completed. Cost for two was $560 in 2013.
    Ken

raemin likes this.