Steve McQueen's 275 under restore at Ferrari? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Steve McQueen's 275 under restore at Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by PG1964, Jun 12, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes it was McQueen who had the car repainted deep red.

Marcel Massini

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Chassis were made by Vaccari & Bosi. The last chassis made by GILCO may have been the early 250 GT and Pontoon 250 Testa Rossa?

3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    what is the color coming out of classiche?

4. odgemeister

odgemeister Karting

Feb 5, 2012
    This car will be sold by RM Auctions in Monterey.

There is no estimate but McQueen cars often go for silly prices. A 911 of his sold for 12 times its estimate a few years ago.

It's had an odd history but is $10-16 million a possibility if auction fever kicks in?

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    tough decision for the owner, repaint it to original color, copper, or to mcqueens preferred color, dark red.

6. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    #181 Vincent Vangool, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    I think in this case, at least value-wise, the McQueen color would trump the original color.

Like they say, there's an exception to every rule.

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I'd have thought that whoever pays the McQueen premium for this car will keep it in the colour it was when he owned it. Besides, Classiche (or their appointed pant shop) painted the car in this colour.

8. odgemeister

odgemeister Karting

Feb 5, 2012
    #183 odgemeister, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    Yes, the car is done. In the colour McQueen had and has been on display for the last few months at the Ferrari Museum in Maranello.

Link to image of completed car, with NART wheels. Interesting Classiche signed it off like this, goes to show the power of McQueen! http://topspeed.gazzetta.it/files/2013/06/IMG_3128hdr1-500x375.jpg

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Why if he ordered it new did the colour have to change? Surely he would have specified the colour he wanted and it would always have been that colour??
    Pete

10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    It could be something as simple as he thought the car would look good in the original colour he had chosen but when he saw it in the metal he realised he didn't really like it in that colour after all and so had it repainted.

11. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I was trying to figure out the McQueen NART spyder story
    and so far I see there are three NART spyders connected to him so I wanted to rank them in order of historical importance/value:

09437 The first one made. alloy bodied, one of two alloy bodied ones. The Thomas Crown Affair car , also raced by McLuggage and Pinky Rollo at Sebring when it was yellow

10453 (NART Spyder) supplied new through Hollywood Sports Cars to Steve McQueen.

He smashed that one up real quick and then bought a conversion. Here's where I get confused, was Straman already making conversions back then?

Was the conversion done on #10621 GTB/4?

So here's my two cents worth--my own ranking of worth the most historically--I say the first one because it was aluminum, has a racing history, and a movie appearance. The second most important (only to movie buffs) is that it was titled to Steve McQueen. the third most important by my way of thinking would be the conversion because although it was owned by McQueen it is still a conversion. Or has time made all cars touched by Steve McQueen equally valuable?

12. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    OK I think I got the chronology straight now but am open to comments. McQueen made a movie with a real NART spyder, the ex-Sebring racer.
    McQueen orders a real NART for himself after the movie.
    He smashes that.
    So he orders a 275GTB coupe in gold (sorry Nocciola) and has it repainted dark red.

That coupe was later converted by a later owner to a imitation NART spyder by Straman (who is not missing as in "lost" but out on the ocean in his yacht at last rumor).

It was bought by an Australian some years ago and it was he who sent it to Italy to be restored into a coupe. One question: what did that cost? I'm guessing $200K including the paint.

The story isn't as good as it was earlier when everyone thought it was Mcqueen replacing his smashed NART with the Straman one, but then once you peel the tinsil off Hollywood, the stories aren't quite as good.

Still if the documented owned-by-McQueen coupe sells for 8 million as a result of its association with McQueen, all's well that ends well.

13. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    After so many reconstructions, is really 8 millions a proper value for a very few original 275? (except for the first owner) I'm thinking that this is another speculation only.....

14. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    At the end of the day, the car has been auctioned at 10.175.000$. In the same session another 275, same model, same year, has been auctioned at 3.750.000$.
    In my opinion the difference is just the legend of a cool name wrote on the papers, but it worths apparently.

15. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    You didn t mentioned the restauration by Classiche for this car and for sur Actor cars have an effect
    when you want to sold it.

Someone knows the destination for the car?

16. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It looks like it might soon join the same UK garage as the ex McQueen Lusso.

Marcel Massini

17. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    4891GT was also almost 1M up on any Lusso. Apparently just because of the McQueen link.

18. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Not to diminish anything, but the 250GTL and the 275 GTB/4 are still series cars.
    I wonder always when they achieve 10 times more than the standard value because they belonged to McQueen or to another actor. At the end of the day he just drove them, they aren't extra series or racing cars.

For the same reason a Monet's painting belonged to the Rothschild family could value 10 times more than another one, but this doesn't happen on the market.

19. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    The painting is what the person is buying and the more important factor. As for Ferrari's or other cars it seems to be the other way. Who drove it and not the car itself......strange.

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Not really.

Take 250LM's for example, which would you rather own? #5893 or the newly restored #6045.

#6045 is in far better condition but #5893 won Le Mans!!!! No contest, the best LM out there is #5893.

So it is the history of a car that defines its value. A painting does not have history other than who painted it.
    Pete

21. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Pete, yes your correct in the respect that a car does have history and that does count most definitely to the value of the car.
    However I am saying that the car firstly should be the prime focus, not some other factor such as the driver of that car. Arguably they do both need each other to have a successful venture (car & driver). Of prime interest to me is the car, be it #5893 or a Morgan 3 wheeler.

22. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Additionally don't get me wrong, I think Steve McQueen is a fantastic actor, one of my all time favorites. But he doesn't need a car to make him a better actor. Reverse goes with the car.

23. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    He was also a great driver on both two wheels and four with impeccable taste that was reflected in the cars he owned. If you are going to have a celebrities car than who could be better ?

24. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Impresive, as always....
    these cars needs sun, No fog! :)