Famous Owners of Mondials Thread | FerrariChat

Famous Owners of Mondials Thread

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by paulchua, May 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nudo

nudo Rookie

Mar 2, 2013
    I have an 86 cab that I was told by the second owner that the car was originally owned by Dolly Parton. It was purchased Ferrari dealer in San Francisco and wound up at FAF Motorsports a year and a half later where he bought it. I have no way of knowing if its true but I believe him, it didn't add any value and why would you make something like that up. I wish someone like Paul Newman owned then it would be worth looking into.

I remember seeing radio personality Paul Harvey's mondial up for sale a few years back. I'm sure I he was still alive he would know "the rest of the story"

2. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #3 hank sound, May 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi - - yeah sure ........ for example, my Rachel - a 92 Mondial T Valeo Cabriolet that was purchased new by Rod Stewart and Rachel Hunter.

Eugenio is doing her major service at this moment. I'll be good to go for quite a long time.

Cheers,

Hank
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 milano likes this.
  3. masonb

masonb Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    So I just bought a black Mondial t cabriolet from an estate sale, and the car cover says Mike Fox on it. The records don't have a mention of him as the owner, but the car comes from Southern California. Does anyone know what happened to the Michael J Fox car?

4. Simon Millar

Simon Millar Rookie

Apr 6, 2014
    Poole, England
    Full Name:
    Buzz Boy

Dolly Parton? The only Mondial with two front air bags.....

5. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    3 if you count the Ferrari installed one.......................... :)

Regards,
    Jerry

6. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    #7 Alpintourer, May 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Red Mondial t Cabriolet Valeo from "Scent of a Woman"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itr0jcR0S4s

It was also the FNA Press car to introduce the Valeo clutch to America.

It was on its third "transmission" and had been thrashed about by the press when it was sent to Classic Coach for a refurb and total repaint. I was offered the car but passed. It ended up going to a new Ferrari store in CA where it was last seen as a rental car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

There was a full page ad in Dupont Registery years ago that had Rachael Hunters Mondial and Rod Stewarts Daytona listed for sale. I have it, I just cant find it.

Joe

8. Clike

Clike Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    Ogden, UT
    Full Name:
    Clark
    I remember some years back seeing Goldie Hawn's red Mondial for sale on ebay. Does that sound familiar to anyone else?

9. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Yes, I remember that offering ! :)

10. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I know of a behind the scenes celebrity that made many many many movies, that we all know and love, far more enjoyable to listen to. He drives a Mondial but im not at liberty to expose him. He's a true celebrity.

My Mondial was also owned by a celebrity... Andrew Lack, Chairman of BMG/Sony Records. He too made great sounds.

11. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #12 hank sound, May 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
    Who - - who ya talking bout' ??? I want to know and love him too. Does he have a Reality Show ??

12. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
  13. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Actually he does, it plays out every day on the FC channel

14. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    I purchased my 1988 3.2 Cabriolet in 2009. After the transaction, the seller told me that his friend had purchased it from a leasing company in Beverly Hills which had nominally owned the car, but that it was exclusively driven by John Denver. None of the documents I have say anything about John Denver, so I don't really consider my car to have the provenance.

Although, whenever the oil gets up to temperature, the stereo automatically turns on and plays, "Take Me Home, Country Roads." Some sort of glitch I haven't been able to figure out yet...

15. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    The aneroid chamber in the WUR causes a signal to play "Rocky Mountain High" when at elevations > 7000 ft.

Since you haven't hear this yet, I guess you live in northern Alberta.
    :D

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Huge thanks guys - I plan on putting a section on my page of previous 'notable' owners. I wanted to ask permission to just use the famous person (no other info) if that's okay with everybody - please let me know if you are not comfortable with this and I'll definitely respect your wishes.

Thanks again, and keep em coming!

17. GDRIII

GDRIII Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    George Roberts
    Interesting Info on this car.

1. Car was sold by Steven Kessler ( The Ferrari dealer in Manhattan at the time)
    BTW this was were I bought my Mondial t VALEO.

2. In June of 2013 it was on display along with two other significant Ferraris In
    the Ferrari Museum in Maranello.

I'm sure There is a lot of hearsay about this car.

The two links below are where I found this info. Plus the video actually shows the car on display in Ferrari's Museum.

The life of celebrity car dealer - southflorida.com

Montezemolo inaugurates the new Museo Ferrari

The New Ferrari Museum in Maranello - Museo Ferrari | AutoMotoTV - YouTube

18. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Dave,

I seriously doubt that the "Scent of a Woman" picture car, the Valeo equipped Mondial, was on its third "transmission". It may well have been in for its third tune up or whatever, but these trannies (Valeo or not) are all the same - - and they're tough as nails.

Too bad you didn't take up the offer to drive one, which is what I assume you mean by "offered". These Valeo Mondials really are, the best of both worlds !! :)

Cheers, Hank

19. GDRIII

GDRIII Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    George Roberts
    Also, If you look closely at the plaque in front of the car in the museum video it reads a "1989 Mondial t" used in the movie that was filmed in 1992. As we all know the VALEO was introduced in 1992 and continued into the 1993. There were no 1989 VALEO Mondial t's. To me this proves the Mondial t used in the movie was not a VALEO!

20. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #21 hank sound, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
    That wasn't an 89 (see the knee bolsters). I wish we could get the FBI to look into that black area of that picture, underneath the steering column. The clutch pedal, or lack of, would tell the truth.

Now, knowing the film industry as I do (40 years of film production), I can tell you all that "any one car" used in movie "A", may not be the same car that is also connected with that same movie.
    Have you a clue as to how many "CHRISTINE" Plymouths we had available for our John Carpenter movie??

The real questions are, what was used in the tracking shots? What was used in the passing/drive by shots? What was used in the follow shots. What was used in the two shots and singles, with dialogue?

Cheers, Hank

PS - I'll see if I can get ahold of the production sound mixer on "Scent". Here's hoping he's a car guy !! :):)

21. GDRIII

GDRIII Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    George Roberts
    Hank, pause the video on the plaque in front of the car shown in museum. Can't you see "1989 Mondial t" and the info about the movie on it?

The New Ferrari Museum in Maranello - Museo Ferrari | AutoMotoTV - YouTube

I know Ferrari makes Mistakes but I don't think they would show the wrong model year on the plaque for a car on display in there Museum.

22. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #23 hank sound, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
    I think you may have missed my point, George. The museum, the plaque, and the car presented, indicates that it was used in the movie. We accept that - - but, It's not necessarily "the same car" that we saw in any given cut of that scene. That scene could have well been comprised of a number of cars, each one being anywhere from 1989 to 1993 in birthright. Any car used for any angle or shot, would have been a (qualified) part of the production process of that movie. Note - it would not be a misrepresentation, to put that "feature" on a plaque - in front of any one of those supporting cars. See what I'm saying ?? :):)

Cheers, Hank

23. GDRIII

GDRIII Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    George Roberts
    Sure, I realize multiple cars are used in some films for many different reasons. In Bad Boys II, two different Ferraris were used to make this film, the two models have very little external differences. The car you see most often is the more powerful 575M Maranello, however, Michael Bay's 550 Maranello was used for really daring stunt work. This info was made very public. I never found any public info about multiple cars being used in a scent of a woman a much more publicized film. Is the car you see the bolsters in "a being driven shot" or in a "still shot"?

The Museum plaque reads 1989 Mondial t Al Pacino "drives this car" in the film rather tan "this car appeared in the film" or "was used in the the film" is the reason why I said that it "proves to me" that is was not a VALEO.

That said, I'm not 100% sure of any thing. I'm not even 100% sure that a few of the last 89 t's could not have had the bolsters. But, on this my friend the proof to me is "beyond a reasonable doubt"

BTW If anyone here knows Al please ask him if he can remember if the car in which he said "the clutch" actually had one. :):)

George

24. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi George,

Don't get me wrong here ........... I agree with you that the hero car, wasn't a Valeo. As a matter of fact, with the film's release date of Dec 23, 1992, filming was probably completed in late 1991/early 92 - - don't think there were any Valeos floating around NY at that point in time. :) :)

A later model with the dash bolster may have been on hand. But like I said, I am in agreement with you.

Cheers, Hank

BTW, I've got a call out to Universal's Transportation Dept., to see if I can get some "official" information. :)