Off-Topic: Searching for a Jaguar E-Type Roadster (1961-1972 stick): | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Off-Topic: Searching for a Jaguar E-Type Roadster (1961-1972 stick):

Discussion in 'British' started by christopher, Feb 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher

Thanks Pete,

I've given them a shot, and although fantastic cars, I little to "rich" for my blood. ALL of thier cars were well over $100K. If I could find something $60K-$85K, I could pull the trigger...

Thanks for the assist Pete.

Chris.

2. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    If you are a serious buyer, contact Gregory Nel at British Automotive in Scottsdale, AZ.

British Automotive Repair

Gregory cared for and arranged the sale of my two E-Types (1966 OTS and 1962 FHC). My '66 was restored by Classic Showcase and the '62 by Bill Richert in Phoenix. Richert's one man, two year, restoration was far better work.

3. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Thank you RSK!

I'm on it!

Thanks, Chris.

4. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    These guys have a '69 red roadster with a stick. I saw it the other day. They say it's in great shape. San Franciscomotorsports.com

5. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Thanks Dave,

I'll check it out!

Chris.

6. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Gentlemen,

I must admit, some of my most successful car purchases (albeit NOT many, trust me on that), have been from referrals! Thank you much Gentlemen!

Regards, Chris.

7. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Still searching...The carsI've fould thus far have way too much rust..sadly...Thank you to all !

8. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Again Guys, just wanted to thank you for the forwards and private messages!

I've been looking at just about everyone referred. The big problem is finding an example absent rust. A little rust (surface only) is ok, but the ones I've seen are rotten and covered with putty...

Oddly enough the ones rotten are the ones going for huge money….WOW! I don’t mind “stepping up” where it makes sense, but wow…

Thank you again,

Chris.

9. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Still looking.

On a side note; Wow, there are a lot of foreign scammers out there! I’ve been contacted four times from people with thick accents offering to sell me their car for cheap, asking that I send money ahead for shipping costs. Funny enough all of which are unable to give me a telephone number, or are willing to have a telephone conversation...lol...armatures...lol..

10. DWG

DWG Karting

Sep 26, 2013
    Porter Ranch,CA
    Full Name:
    Greg Groom
    Chris,

I have never seen an English car without rust, even here in Southern California. Anyone who says their car is rust-free is either lying or going by what the previous owner told them. The rust areas on E-Types are consistent across the model. There was an old saying, something like... the Italians invented rust, the English perfected it. I do love their cars though, and beer.

Greg

11. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    To say all Jag XKEs have rust and ALL XKE owners that say their XKE has no rust is a liar is just plain ridiculous. I have seen plenty of rust free XKEs. Just have to look in the right places.

Chris, The problem, as you've found out, is finding one the owner wants to sell. Yes, there are plenty of junk ones, rusty ones, bent ones. That doesn't mean they ALL have rust.....

12. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Thank you for your feedback Greg. I did actually have an e-type roadster (lost in divorce…OUCH….damn that hurt), that didn’t have an ounce on rust on it..trust me, I looked ALL OVER that car! …lol…I don’t mind a “smidge” of surface rust, but it should only be on the surface and not eaten through anybody panned as I’ve seen of late..The quest goes on….sigh…
    Thanks again for you feedback Greg!

Chris.

13. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Thank you Jaguar 15 for your feedback. I’m inclined to agree from you as I did have one in the 90’s that totally rust free…as mentioned in my response to Greg, I ended up losing it in a brutal unforeseen divorce…OUCH again….So I know that they’re out there. As you commented, I just need to find an owner that wants to sell his/hers for a fair price and a quick transaction. Alas the quest continues…
    Thanks you again for your feedback, Chris.

14. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    I'm keeping my eyes open for you Chris for one that is reasonable. European Collectibles has had a white and red V12 for around a year. Looked at it way back. Over priced for what it was in my opinion. That is why is was still there

One idea, since you are in Ontario, is to hit Cars and Coffee tomorrow in Irvine. There usually are a few XKEs there. Once in awhile, one is for sale. Get there early...PITA to park sometimes with good weather. Talk to owners, they may have a friend that wants to sell.

15. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    You’re a Gentleman Sir,

The cars and coffee event is a great idea! I wish I could attend ..It’s the Wife’s birthday and I told her that we could go somewhere over the weekend…I’m certain that cars and coffee won’t be her idea of a place that she wants to go..lol…

I appreciate your assistance with this! I’ve put a few $$ away and am pretty much ready to pull the trigger, but am concerned that the prices I’m seeing are just a “passing scramble” for these cars as it was in the 90’s…when I bought my car the market went nuts afterward! My 69-roadster appraised at $70K (Yep, in the 90’s!) and I ended up selling it for $16.5K only a few years later…..

I looked at one that I was pretty excited about last month locally, the guy selling it was a price of a guy, but his car was really rusty (not seen in the pictures), to the point that the rocker panels had rust blisters that you could poke a screw driver through (I didn’t btw, I liked the guy, just not his car), it was a pretty car, but that was it…it was selling for $65K…I would have probably tried to work something out with him had the car not have been rusty, in an rear end accident (repaired, but not well), and had installed his our version of an A/C system…

The bad part about trying to find these cars is that a lot of them are all over the country. You could literally spend all that you’ve saved for flying around the country side, only to be disappointed…

That stated, I’ll keep up with my quest.

Thanks again for your willingness to assist I very much appreciate it!

Regards, Chris.

16. Black Flagged

Black Flagged Rookie
    BANNED

May 23, 2014
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Alex Joey
    I have purchased various cars from doing a search using ( All of craigslist). I would also recommend joining various Jaguar websites. Can never be too informed prior to making a purchase. As always, patience is a virtue, there are fine examples to be had, as well as lots of "Pigs with Lipstick". A magnet covered in plastic wrap to check for bondo, is your friend...Alex

17. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Thank you Alex, good words of wisdom! Thank you for your feedback!

Regards, Chris.

18. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Anymore referrals guys?

19. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    join local jag club, go to jag shows and try to buy 95 pt car that was restored many yrs ago. be sure a quality shop did restoration.

20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

It may be hard to find one in really nice shape at a reasonable price. I sold my car in Nov 2013. It was in fantastic condition, as originally I bought a concours restored car in 1999 and drove it for about 5-6K in 14 years. Did some updates from Classic Jaguar in TX to make it more usable. I see crazy asking prices for cars which look to need complete resorations.

Just keep turning over as many stones as possible, you will find one. Back then it took me almost a year to find one I wnated and when I saw the car I eventually bought I paid 50% more than my original budget, but the car was worth it. As you know, these cars are notorious for all kinds of rust and a solid monocoque is paramount to a good xke - everything is dependent on it.

Join the jag sites and keep asking if anyone knows of a car for sale. They are out there. If I ever got back into an xke, for me it would have to be a series 1 coupe, had the series 1 OTS with SS wires which was fun, but a coupe with dunlop wheels just looks fantastic. Saw one last year in dark blue, owner was not interested in selling.

GLW search.

21. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    A friend of mine has a Series 1.5 OTS (roadster) in dark blue that was restored and is still in "really nice driver" condition IIRC. I haven't seen it for a while but it lives in his garage under a car cover and is rarely driven so it can't have changed much.

He lives in Huntington Beach.

22. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Hello Guys, again I know that this might be kind of an odd place for this query, but as I had stated earlier I also realize that most on this forum have connections outside the Ferrari world and might know of a nice XK-E roadster for sale? Hopefully of which the owner’s not asking blue sky…Any referrals would be appreciated.
    I still have my little 308, but the “wifey” says I’ve been a good boy and I can have another toy.
    I’d be happy to speak to any wishing to sell their car…714)330-8545.
    Thank you all, Chris.

23. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    What do you consider "blue sky"?

24. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    "Blue Sky" meaning unrealistic amount for the for the condition of the vehicle, I know it's a little open ended, but I've seen some real rough cars in which people wanted huge crazy money for. I'm just looking for a driver condition and will pay a fair amount for it.

Does that help?

Thanks for your question.

Chris.

25. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim