Moving to Tampa | FerrariChat

Moving to Tampa

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Roadking80134, Apr 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roadking80134

Roadking80134 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2013
    Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick S
    Good morning all! Looks like I'm moving to Tampa with my 360 Spider. I'd appreciate any info on how to protect both the body and underside of the car from salt/humidity. Also, thoughts on locations to live for a 53 yr old single guy with a fun car, and a boat.

Thanks!
    Rick

2. 1919A4

1919A4 Karting

Apr 21, 2011
    Saint Petersburg FL
    Hi Rick!

Don't worry too much about the salt. Lived here 25 years and none of my cars have been adversely affected by salt. Humidity is another issue. Unless you can keep your car in a controlled environment its just another thing to just deal with,,much like our roaches.

Where to live.....find a gated community you like. Most are safer (avoid living near professional football players) and places for your boat are everywhere.

Wecome!

Tom

3. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    #3 sindo308qv, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What about one of these? CarCapsule - The Original Car Bubble
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. West360

West360 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Welcome to Tampa Bay! You'll love it here!

5. BluNart

BluNart Karting

Jul 2, 2013
    New England, USA
    Full Name:
    Blu
    I considered a car bubble and was curious of operating costs compared to an air conditioner or or dehumidifier. Anyone have experience?

6. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Copied from the website of Carcoon:
    Q: How much does the Carcoon Airflow System cost to run?
    A: The Carcoon uses two 12-volt 0.23amp brushless ventilators to provide its active airflow, these are extremely efficient and reliable ventilators similar to the cooling fans used in modern PC computers, in normal operation they don’t work under much load and draw under half and amp, its estimated the running costs to be less than that of a bedside alarm clock, around 19 cents per day to run. The Bike Bubble uses only one ventilator, so the running costs are halved

7. BluNart

BluNart Karting

Jul 2, 2013
    New England, USA
    Full Name:
    Blu
    Thanks

8. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Had a place in Palm harbor, close to water, and to Tampa but more suburban feel

9. Roadking80134

Dec 5, 2013
    Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick S
    I've heard PH is great, and a decent place for singles as well. What do you think is the commute time during non-rush hour, to Tampa Airport?
    Thanks much!

10. Roadking80134

Dec 5, 2013
    Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick S
    Thanks! I'm coming out to check out various areas as a potential relo location, on the 21st-23rd. Anyone up for a beer?

Rick

11. Roadking80134

Dec 5, 2013
    Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick S
    Looks like the Carcoon provides good protection from dust, etc. Doesn't look like there's anything to dry the air as part of the positive ventilation system. Or am I missing something?

12. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    I've lived here for 22 out of the last 24 years. It's a great area - especially boating is outstanding. Feel free to PM me if I can help - real estate, commute, night life ect.

13. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    I hate it here because of the heat/humidity in the summer, which seems to last for 9 months.............

But otherwise, it depends on what you are looking for, city? suburbs? country? There all available just a short distance "within 30 minute from Tampa airport".

I have a home in Clearwater and a condo on the beach, but we are going to sell both and try living in downtown St. Petersburg, everything is within walking distance and lots of good food and drink.

14. marlow3

marlow3 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Marlow Miller
    Rick,
    Welcome to Tampa, it's a great place for Ferraris! If you have time on Saturday, stop by the showroom for lunch. It's a great way to meet some of the great owners in the area.

15. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    Sorry we missed the beer idea?

16. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #16 docf, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    My collector cars are stored in dehumidified garage here in TB area which includes the Ferrari and I have never experienced any salt related problems. Also have a beach home in the PH area where I store my restored 356 in a dehumidified garage again with no problems. Welcome to the area. Incidentally there is a new air conditioned storage facility, the name of which escapes me now located downtown area. The name has something to do with Vault. If interested Tampa FOC can give you the name of the party who owns this facility. About the only Ferrari related problem in the area is increased probability of the "stickies" and protect the interior during the summers heat and humidity. Rainy season approx. mid June to mid Oct. After that some of the most Beautiful weather in the country. We moved from Co. approx. 3 yrs ago and at least you will be able to drive the Ferrari year round and unlike Co. a windshield will last for the most part more than a month!
    Docf

17. FerrariSvcGuy

FerrariSvcGuy Rookie

Mar 26, 2014
    Palm Harbor, FL
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yes, the storage facility in Tampa is called "The Vault." PM me and I'll give you the owner's contact information.

18. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

If you get down to Sarasota look me up .