GM announces 2015 Corvette Z06 Convertible | FerrariChat

GM announces 2015 Corvette Z06 Convertible

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by opencollector, Apr 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  2. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Big and brutal V8, manual gearbox, rwd, aggressive non-PC design. So refreshing to see vs all the "efficient" cars from Europe these days.

Best part is probably the oncoming Z06 C6 depreciation hit ;)

3. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Game over. Now they must make a lightened version!

4. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Somebody needs to get busy on a good 4 point roll bar with harness attachments.

I'll never forget convertable Corvettes blasting by on Road Atlanta with big block power.

5. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    The Z06 is generally the lightened version of the Corvette line. From there your option is the "R"

6. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Not this gen. Previous Z06 had NA power with a noticably lighter body. The new model is actually a bit heavier than stock according to most sources.

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #7 GuyIncognito, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    you mean like this? :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA
    Don't forget about the 1968 Owens-Corning 427 cars. Those are way cool.

9. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    GM is making a lot of good moves with the vette. The Z06 coupe is their version of the Scud and now they have their equivalent of the 16M. I still can't justify selling my C6Z though... There's just something about laying into that big 427.

10. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    William H, this car is calling your name.

11. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    Available automatic transmission? Convertible option? So much for the Z06 being a track car anymore. The thing weighs close to 500 pounds heavier than a C6 Z06. They should have called this car the ZR1 instead.

12. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    I agree. I am especially concerned about the added pounds. I realize they need to maximize profit and they can cash in on some of the cachet of the Z06 brand/name but I also think they are getting away from what made the C6 Z06 such a great car.

13. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I agree about the added weight. If automatic is available as long as you can still buy a manual I am okay with that..

I suspect the 620hp Vette replaces the mid hp of the previous model. I think they will come out with a 700hp maybe 720 hp as the new ZR1 whatever they call it.

I own a base 2014 Vette and I love the car. It has a lot of power and is a great drivers car.
    I own a lot of cars and it is my favorite.

Try one and you will be amazed. I am not really a Vette guy but this car changed my mind. It is epic.

Best

Lee

14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    We will soon have a C7 in the family (though not mine) and I have to admit the little Abarth is beginning to change my whole perspective on cars. I will soon have that little thing to around 260hp and for around the price of a top of the line set of wheels I will have a car that is really a blast to drive. I guess I'm growing up finally or maybe it the 31 days of juicing that has cleared my head.

15. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    I want one, in that fantastic blue just as shown above.

There, I said it...

16. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    This is what i am waiting for :D

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Saw the Z06 at the NYMS, its not quite an aventador, but far closer than you would think in terms of raw appeal. they also had acutaway chassis. Its pretty clear that the vette has a really neat frame if not CF(nor is an F-car) and there are all the good bits in it.

In fact i would say the z06 is something of a cross between a ferrari F12 and a lambo aventador, yeah it does not have a 12, but that is the only real drawback to the other two, and its under 100k. pretty spectacular.

Looks to me like the vette is moving out from bang for the buck territory into soemthing objectively really good covering a number of bases from build to perfoamnce.

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

A C6 Z06 was supposedly 3150 lbs, the new Z06 is not 500lbs heavier, although it may well be 250lbs heavier, which is a lot, but then even the new Gt3 is 200lbs heavier.

Methinks 2 years from now we will have a much lighter trackday special. How long did it take for the C6 Z06 to come out? or the Scud or the speciale.

19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    and Chevrolet will offer orange again for the new Corvette to.

20. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    What type of orange? Not a fan of the "burnt" orange flavors. I like the Monaco shade on 69's

21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Had a 70 Orange vette, also a 64 lambo 350Gt in orange. Its a color that first apeals but after a few months just gives a headache.

22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    A Z06 should not be a convertible. This is a fail IMHO.

23. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's interesting manufacturers can get away with 650+fp torque in a convertible. Sign of the times, they are a changin'. The paddle shift 8spd auto will be amazing. I think I'm going to need to pick one of these up in a few years. Not making the mistake I did with the last one buying new, but this is going to be an insane drive, and I welcome the convertible. Innovation by definition defies convention.

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

With traction control, esp and modern tires you can do 1000hp and its still driveable. The electronics make sure HP is only deployed to the extent the chassis and tires can comfortably handle it.

As to the concept of a z06 convertible, the new Z06 bears more resmblance from what we see to a Zr1 than anything. Plus its a marketing niche, expanding the vette bandwidth with options for more sales and profit. like leater seats on a truck, or a convertible porche turbo.

Question is, will the new Z06 be a hard core track animal as the Z06 of old, or is it a heavier more powerful car able to turn a few exceptional fast laps before somethign liek tires or brakes melt.

Is the z06 a Gm scuderia or a Gm aventador?