365 GT 2+2 burning carpet | FerrariChat

365 GT 2+2 burning carpet

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jippiejake, Apr 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    #1 jippiejake, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I need to run this by all the expert minds...

You can see in these pictures that the carpet pad is getting very hot. This is located on both the drivers and passenger sides, and are close to the transmission tunnel towards the front of the car..

Any ideas?

The car had a timing issue recently so the manifold was getting unusually hot, so that might have caused it.
    I still feel quite a bit of heat coming from the floor towards the front though..

Is there a heat shield possible missing?

Thanks for your help..

Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    My car had almost the same issue. We made sure the fire wall and the transmission tunnel had no holes and all the heat insulation was intact. It helped a lot, but in general the cockpit was still hot on certain days; but that hot to burn the carpeting. Good luck.

3. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Car manufacturers seem to have begun to think about heat insulation for comfort only in the '70s, one of the reasons classics are often uncomfortably hot in summer and the reason why during restoration modern heat and sound insulation is installed in the interior. Judging from the pictures something I would recommend here.
    Also, an under-car aluminium heat shield for the hottest exhaust parts is quite easily fabricated and highly recommended, a few of my cars have fabricated heat shielding added which looks basically stock and adds to comfort. Unfortunately that does mean a few non-stock holes are added to the car, but worth it. (and the manufacturer should have done it in the first place)

4. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    The heat shields are missing on most vintage exhaust systems I've inspected, including mine (250 GT/E). Also if the double or triple layer floor has started to rust inside, it is possible the heat insulation isn't working right. My floors looked very nice after blasting, but when we opened it up anyways, the inside was filled with chipping rust.

5. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    Running rich will cause that. A nice upgrade is to bet the headers a ceramic coating

6. jippiejake

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Thanks so much for your great advice...
    I will for sure get some better insulation on the floors, and get the headers ceramic coated..
    I will also look into getting a few heat shield fabricated to go in front of this floor area in the engine compartment.
    My mechanic did say that the timing was so off that the headers would glow red hot..

7. buurman

buurman Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    cornelis leendert
    the heat shields on the exhaust are to prevent boiling fuel in the carbs.
    not to prevent interior heat,
    had last year a lot vapor lock at 44 degrees calcius ( shadow)in France.
    ciao
    C.

8. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    There should be shields also on top of mufflers to prevent radiation heating up the floor panels. Late ignition timing will without a doubt make headers glow, but it should be pretty easy to note as the fuel consumption will also go through the roof!

9. dgrperformance

dgrperformance Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    Seeing as your floors are fiberglass in you car I think there is a much more pressing issue than the carpet getting bunt. There are heat shields riveted to the underside of the car above the mufflers that are intended to disperse some if the heat but obviously something is going on with the mixture for things to be getting so hot. We have put a product called Koolmat under the carpet and on the firewall of a few cars recently and the stuff works wonders for keeping the interior temps down.

Zac

10. jippiejake

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Thanks Zac for the Koolmat advice. Just ordered some on Amazon...
    The car does have the heat shields on the bottom of car where the headers connect to the muffler..
    I'm getting all the burning right by the accelerator pedal area..

11. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Take your car to a competent Muffler shop and have them check for an exhaust leak of very hot gasses in the area. a Smog sniffer probe may help. My car ran extremely hot after my muffler rusted out. Cool after it was replaced.

12. jippiejake

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    The Koolmat arrived today so I plan on cutting a piece of that to go into the engine compartment on the firewall where it starts to angle down towards to floor.
    Any idea what sort of glue would work for high temperature?
    I will also put some of the Koolmat inside on the floor under the carpet padding...
    I had the muffler all checked out and it seems to be tight..

13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    With all due respect, I'd like to suggest more thorough investigation (and proper repair solution ?) for the actual cause/source of this excessive heat transfer before spending too much effort on possibly just "covering" it (no pun intended) with insulation materials. It could be, as suggested earlier, timing issue, faulty exhaust system components or...?
    One good way is to check exhaust system temperatures using good quality laser thermometer at various points throughout the entire length on both sides of the system, even better if access to another similar system on a another car is available for comparison. Checking the temperatures without at least 30-60 minute serious drive might be useless.
    Recording these measurements for reference is also advised.
    Timo

14. jippiejake

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Hi Timo,
    Good advice..
    I had another 365 GT and I never remember it doing this..

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My 365GT doesn't do this. I do have coated headers, but it didn't do it even before I had that done.

16. jippiejake

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Hi Don,
    Thanks for that.
    I will get it checked out asap..

17. RedMondialTCab

RedMondialTCab F1 Rookie