News helicopter crashes in Seattle | FerrariChat

News helicopter crashes in Seattle

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by GuyIncognito, Mar 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  2. alexD

alexD F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2006
    sunnyvale
    Full Name:
    alex d
    I work at amazon and my desk is looking right out the window in this directions..I watch helicopters take off from here and other news stations around it every day. I can't see the helo pad from where I sit, but I would see the helicopters come up from the buildings. It's only about 8 blocks away. I didn't get in this morning before they had it under control though.

3. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    Very early on in Naval Flight Training, we got an orientation course where the students were introduced to the various aircraft types. When we got to the helicopters, the instructor (a fixed wing type) noted that a helicopter is a collection of ten thousand rivets flying in loose formation; a failure of any one of which will result disaster.

Words of warning: Stay out of helicopters if you can.

4. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    What a stupid statement that is unrelated to this accident. Helicopters are safe as long as all parties (operators, mechanics, pilots) don't fall into complacency, and follow the rules.

It sounds like the pilot had loss of tail rotor effectiveness (LTE) upon take-off, which has nothing to do with a parts failure.

RIP.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Kieran- Lighten up, he was just kidding. All fighter jocks have helicopter jokes, just like helicopter pilots undoubtedly have fixed wing jokes. Let's see, how can you tell a figher jock? Big watch, small private parts, and always trying to cash a check.

6. CenterHillAg

CenterHillAg Rookie

Apr 14, 2013
    Texas
    I fly a Cub, my buddy flies Robinson's and Jet Ranger's. He's said an autorotation approach feels almost exactly like a behind-the-curve slip to landing in a Cub. I've flown with him while he's practicing autorotations many times and it feels surprisingly controllable.

7. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    I'm multi engine airplane and rotorcraft rated, grew up flying fixed wing then helos in the military. I'll take a helo over a fixed wing any day for the simple fact I can autorotate to a parking lot, if necessary. I've also flown an F15 and frankly, it bored the heck out me. I'm wearing Nomex now, flame on if you must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Question: Can you auto-rotate when a failure occurs while in a hover 50ft above the ground?

Apparently some security cameras show the copter pivoting 360 deg immediately off the pad (which is on top of a 2 story building) and continuing to rotate until impact.

9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Sad news, sounds from the reports like they might have lost power. I've spent a lot of time in rotary wing aircraft of all types. Great aviators these guys.

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I've heard that you can go to autorotation in cases of LTE, but only if you realize immediately what has happened and make the right decision, and this may not have been possible here. I remember seeing a video of a Sea King about to land on the fantail of a ship where LTE happened; the helo lost its tail boom and eventually went over the side of the ship in flames.

11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

...and how do you know that the LTE had "nothing to do with parts failure"...???

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Initial observation of surveillance camera footage showed that the chopper started rapid rotation at lift off and continued into impact. Another TV station helicopter pilot said that it appeared that they suffered TAIL ROTOR LOCK UP. isn't the tail rotor driven by a mechanical shaft and a gearbox ? Prior to lift off the pilot went aft to the tail to check something with his flash light so he knew something wasn't right.

13. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Yes. On the helicopters I used to wrench on, there was a 42 degree gearbox at the end of the tail boom and a 90 degree gearbox at the tail rotor.

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#14 Tcar, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    My point exactly... that sounds like a 'parts failure' in spades...

Don't know how he can say without doubt that there was no parts failure, at this point, anyway.

15. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    #15 88Testarossa, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014

Probably, when I was younger and I had much quicker reaction time :)

It also depends on power setting, speed, payload, gross weight, density altitude, etc. maybe not, but I'd do my best.

http://www.copters.com/pilot/hvcurve.html

I can tell you this, two real life experiences boosted my confidence but they did result in some muscle tightening, if you get my drift.

I had two real-life autorotations in a Jet Ranger (OH-58) and one hydraulics failure on a Huey (UH1) and I reacted instinctively due to the great training I'd received.

I also landed a Huey on Daytona Beach once to check for a mast bump, and almost lost two fingers while checking a tail-rotor driveshaft bearing on the Jet Ranger. Fun times.

I think the copter that crashed probably lost tail rotor authority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    Sorry, I was a little tense about the whole thing. I was doing a pre-flight when I saw the video of the helicopter burning on the ground. Shook me up a bit.

The ones I've been told (helicopter community) are: How can you tell a fixed wing pilot at a party? He's wearing a dress.

How can you tell there's a helicopter pilot at a party? He'll tell you. :p