Dino steerng wheels history, steering wheel 206 S? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dino steerng wheels history, steering wheel 206 S?

Discussion in '206/246' started by Dino Club Germany, Mar 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pjbf

pjbf Karting

Jul 13, 2011
    Europe
    #26 pjbf, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here an old add from Prototipo from 1972 by than painted letters were allready in front in the back just Made in Italy. Is my believe that stacked MO MO finished around 70/71 Stacked MOMO was really the first MOMO logo as you can see on this early box, straight MOMO was the 2º logo that still today, here some pictures of hubs from both versions. Horn buttons in the begining were all made by LUCAS in UK by order of Moretti, 1º ones were stacked MOMO as seen in yelow box, chrom or satin ring started after 70. I believe that logo buttond did not start until late 69/70. all this info is all based in many yeasrs of research.

All the best

Paulo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. pjbf

pjbf Karting

Jul 13, 2011
    Europe
    #27 pjbf, Mar 22, 2014
    As the best of my knowlege the only Ferrai Dino that had black steering wheel like you see on picture was the European Ferrai 208 turbo GT4 Dino. Only made for low taxes purposes, it had a 2000 cc engine for low pricing in Europe, that one had a black steering wheel, I have one see picture, other than that i think all other Dinos add silver momos.But i have seen many things over the years, and mnany and I mean many Dinos with wrong steering wheels. I believe that a loy of people have diferent taste.

All the best

3. pjbf

pjbf Karting

Jul 13, 2011
    Europe
    Most of Dino Spiders have wooden wheels, maybe this was some special edition, so if it was not from a 206 GTB or GTS had to be from a Fiat-Dino. I have really talked with many people that are really either MOMO´s gurus, or Dinos guros, not many people have seen it, but!!!!everyone loves it thought :)

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This is fantastic information.

As a long time fan of Mr. Moretti aand actually more, a great respect for his character and accomplishments, I thank you for the knowledge you have acquired and freely shared here!!

Salute!!

I have three MOMO wheels, one 1976 and two 1977s....:D :D
    They are all the same

5. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    My thanks to Matthias & Paulo regarding my black steering wheel – of course not the answer I was hoping for. I guess I’ll be on the lookout for a ’73 steering wheel.

But, believe me, I appreciate the knowledge base exhibited here.

6. Dino Club Germany

Dino Club Germany Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    #31 Dino Club Germany, Mar 22, 2014
    Dear Paolo,
    our German Dino Register has Ferrari Dinos and Fiat Dinos as well.
    We think we have around 40 Fiat Dino 2L Spiders and the only early steering wheel from the first series I know before the wooden ones ist this one (picture from the original brochure).
    Regards Nicolai

7. Dino Club Germany

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    #32 Dino Club Germany, Mar 22, 2014
  8. pjbf

pjbf Karting

Jul 13, 2011
    Europe
    I knew that i can also tell you that black bakelite in the 206 Spider is a FIV steering wheel, same manufacteur that equipped some Maserati, and The The Mustang Shelby GT 350!!!
    FIV stands for FabricaItalianaVolanti( very well quoted nowerdays) but as I said maybe it was a special order, maybe it was for a race car, listen why would Moretti make a wheel with Dino logo not for a Dino???Doesn´t make sense, And we know that those were really smalll numbers, Moretti had these things, I have seen 4 units of MOMO Dino in my life including the one in the google picture, so I know is not a costum thing, Maybe it was a very close edition, like the MOMO DeSantis that i had the fortune of an italian friend tell me the story, cause he wrothe to Mr. DeSantis himself, thew werte made 30 units of that wheel. all Moretti history is very intriging but very passionate as well, here a text that i include in my ebay listings thta i think is interesting.

MOMO began in the 1960's; its history is an example of the creative, imaginative entrepreneurship that has allowed small Italian businesses to expand and conquer international markets. It all began with a passion for motor racing.
    One day Giampiero Moretti, university student and gentleman driver, had a friend of his who made a very special steering-wheel for Giampiero racing car. It was smaller than the normal ones used, but what was most original about it was the handgrip, a very large handgrip that gave a much better grip, making the car easier to handle and to drive. This odd steering-wheel attracted the attention of many racing drivers, among them John Surtees of Ferrari. The English driver tried it, was enthusiastic and had it mounted on his single-seat Formula One car.
    That was a happy year for Surtees and Ferrari, who won the F.1 championship in 1963, and also for Moretti's steering-wheel, which had its share in the glory. Requests for it began to pour in, and what had begun for passion grew into a business.
    In 1966 a plant in Verona was opened to produce very special steering-wheels, giving birth to MOMO (from the initials of Moretti-Monza).
    The first order was from Ferrari, which had decided to use MOMO steering-wheels on all its racing cars. With this formidable entree, MOMO could begin to scale the international market.
    Today, on the race tracks, MOMO finds a unique technological and qualitative testing ground to achieve the total safety of its products.
    Design, innovative and vanguard technology, top quality and the coolest Brand image are the keys of MOMO's success.

9. marksgtv

marksgtv Karting

May 29, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mark Morrissey
    Lets see the date on the ad Paulo.

10. pjbf

pjbf Karting

Jul 13, 2011
    Europe
    #35 pjbf, Mar 22, 2014
    Mark, I thoght i saw it in alfaBB on your post!!!But is not your post and it´s not the same add!!! but that add is aparently from an Alfa Magazine in UK in 78, it might be correct since the MOMO prototipo as we know it now started in mid 1979 i have seen both versions on 79 wheels this one showed in the add and the new prototipo logo!!!no date is seen in the add thought!!!I got it confuse with this one from German AutoMotorSport in this one is from 72!! like the others!!

11. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    interesting, thank you very much...

12. Dino Club Germany

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    #37 Dino Club Germany, Mar 23, 2014
  13. pjbf

pjbf Karting

Jul 13, 2011
    Europe
    Very good document so some gaps fill in, thank you

Thank you Nicolai

all the best

14. docbell

docbell Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2012
    Erie, PA
    I have a '72 GTS, European model, VIN 03908 with a black MOMO steering wheel too.

15. pjbf

pjbf Karting

Jul 13, 2011
    Europe
    And you are not the only one!!!Now was that OEM???I had more than one client here in Europe asking me for the same, the black MOMO for a Dino!!!Maybe some Dino experts can fill in some info!!Was it an European option!???Which year, can you post a picture please??

Kind regards

Paulo

16. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Wonderful thread, this.

Andres

17. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I have a black MOMO "abarth" steering wheel which was fitted to one of my cars back in the 1970s when the original broke.
    Looking at the MOMO brochure, they could have fitted any of the wheels available or one from another wrecked Ferrari, it did have the original horn button fitted so it looked nice.
    I've never seen/heard of a confirmed original black steering wheel on a 246 - so I'd question it...
    Andrew

18. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Now THIS is interesting - "M 20340" is the patent or design number. This was written on the rear of all original Dino wheels supplied to Ferrari according to Matthias.
    I did a search and only turned up that it was in use from '74 to '76 but that doesn't seem correct, Paulo - do you know where to find the patent?
    I'm curious why MOMO would only put this on Ferrari supplied steering wheels?

19. Dino Club Germany

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    #44 Dino Club Germany, Mar 24, 2014
    Annother from my point of view never totally clarified differences ist the third spoke on the prototipo steering wheels: some Dino 246 have it uncovered with leather, some not. Most of the do but I know some very original 246 with uncovered lower spoke...
    Nicolai

20. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    What is an original 1972 Dino 246GT Steering Wheel worth?

21. Dino Club Germany

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    #46 Dino Club Germany, Mar 24, 2014
  22. docbell

docbell Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2012
    Erie, PA
    #47 docbell, Mar 24, 2014
    Here are a few file photos I had of the black MOMO steering wheel on my '72 GTS European car. I can send a few close ups later today if you would like.

23. pjbf

pjbf Karting

Jul 13, 2011
    Europe
    #48 pjbf, Mar 24, 2014
    Well I have seen both cases actually I have seen 3 diferent models for Ferrari Dino, and I mean, 2 of them have momo in the front 360mm thin grip, 1º says Made in Italy M 2340 in the back, 2º has the same in front but just Made in Italy in back, and the last one i do still have it, I believe to be from earlyer cars, it just say MO MO stacked in the back (next post). Now there is a big diference on all these wheels presented here, the prototipos are not the same rim!!!Not only another arm covered, they have a diferent rim, diferent curvatures, the curvature on the pokes is diferent from the Dino wheels, the Dino wheels are all 360mm, have a similar curvature in all 3 arms, the prototipo small dished has 2 more pronunced curvature in both side arms, and a less pronounced curvature in cente spoke(the one with no tumb pad). Another big diference is the thickness of the wheel, Dino wheels are really thiner than the prototipo, another is diference is diameter, Dinos momo are 360mm prototipo is either 350mm or 370mm, and another diference is Dino momo is really light and gentle, very litgh and diferent from strong and a lot heavier prototipo. So in all I think that maybe some how along the years a lot of Dinos lost they´r wheels by some reazon, so they are really fragile. and the best substitute would be the prototipo, by those years there was not a dished wheel in MOMO just the proto, all the others were flat, by being construted to have a small dished wheel the Dino just suported the proto, and not te Monza or LeMans, but hey that is just my teory, I know a Dino (original car) here in Europe that as a Racemark on it :O!!!Now about the numbers in the back of the wheels, I dont think they ment models, but I can not be sure they ment patent, what I do know is that I have seen that M 20340 in several models from MOMO (see pictures) Prototipos, Jacky Stewart, Gritti(early 308´s, and BB´s)and more,in all the past of Giampero Moretti work is really blury in those years, and is very dificult to find information about it. Maybe some other member has some more info to contribute to this small mistery. i will allways say what I have collected over the years, and have sold more than 250 wheels worldwide I have seen a lot of MOMO´s all kinds.Being the Dino one of the rarest one to find.

Kindest regards

Paulo

(sorry for typos)

24. pjbf

pjbf Karting

Jul 13, 2011
    Europe
    #49 pjbf, Mar 24, 2014