You gotta love Ferrari part prices | FerrariChat

You gotta love Ferrari part prices

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by raf456, Mar 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raf456

raf456 Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert Freiburghouse
    I just replaced my Mondial T Delco alternator with a new one at a cost of $300. Last week I replaced the little pump on the bottom of the washer fluid reservoir for a cost of $300!

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The prices are crazy on those pumps especially when a new tank/pump assembly can be bought for $275 new (3 available) and $380 used (not an error in pricing).

New Old Stock RARE Ferrari Mondial T Testarossa TR Windshield Washer Tank | eBay

Ferrari Mondial Testarossa Windshield Washer Bottle Reservoir 61647900 | eBay

3. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    let the interweb be your freind.there are some really good deals out there if you do a little searching.

4. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    You got off easy. This oil hose set me back over $1000 with tax and shipping.

140312 [140312 OIL LINE] $919.80 each

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Where did you get your alternator from? Is it an upgraded unit? I just got a upgraded 140AMP with Delco (new) for $180 shipped

6. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    For the Mondial t group, there are some good cross references in the 348/355 threads. Likewise, the 328 group has some help for the 3.2 guys......

A lot of parts came from different car manufacturers. Ferrari did not have systems outside of the driveline made to spec. For example, power mirror switch out of an old BMW.....

Regards,
    Jerry

7. raf456

raf456 Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert Freiburghouse
    I was completely ignorant about the issues that early Mondial Ts and 348s have with their Delco alternators. Now it seems that conversion kits the enable the Nippondesco alternator to be installed on these early cars is no longer available. It looks like I have to put on the same unit that came as original equipment on the car. I am bummed out about that!

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Raf456:

Some Mondials use the Delco Alternator and others use the Nippon Denso alternator.

The Delco is crap as you said, hence Ferrari upgraded it to the Nippon Denso. A lot of the problems with the Mondial can be traced to the garbage alternator, as I've seen power spikes happen to fry various fuses here and there.

My Delco is rated at 105 amps and has a crappy thing base plate, no cooling fins, no thermal contact to the alternators case, and the cooling surface has 4 tiny holes to cool it - like I said - crap.

Don't go out and buy a Ferrari alternator - that will cost you $1,000 + - the same exact alternator can be had for about $125 - Delco part number is 10479969 - These are 100% compatible with all connections except the pulley which is a 30 second job to change with a impact wrench.

The internals are from the CS 130 family FYI

You can buy it from USA Built High Output Alternators, Upgrades, Conversions, Starters, Parts, Kits and More! which will outfit it with a high power rectifier and regulator and ship it to you for under $200. Keep in mind that I also suggest you replace your battery at the same time, as others have said (I don't know if true or not, but better to be safe) the bad Alternator can mess up the battery and vice versa if there has been ongoing issues.

I also ordered a Yellow Top Extreme battery to replace at the same time. The kind that is designed to run on cars with NO alternators! haha

9. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    If you really want to get boiled up, then add up the prices of 2 new rotors, 2 new distributor caps, 2 new ignition coils, and a new set of plug wires. Or, alternatively, you could take your significant other to Paris for a 5 day getaway!

10. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    You can also have your existing unit rebuilt at a local shop and brought up to current performance standards. I paid ~$200 and got a lifetime warranty to boot.
    Now putting out 14V when the car is running.
    Cheers,
    Greg

11. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #11 Wade, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    Sadly, the most expensive item on that page/list is the oil cap (in some cases, it's the same as the fuel cap); lists for $1,003.94 each.

Ferrari Mondial t Parts : Table 26 - LUBRICATION SYSTEM

12. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    At least the fuel cap is "pretty"; it's polished and nice to touch and look at. The $1000 oil hose is buried under the engine somewhere, and thus a more painful expenditure.

13. raf456

raf456 Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert Freiburghouse
    My mechanic installed an upgraded Delco that outputs 160 amps and fits the same mounts as the original 105 amp Delco unit. Different pulley etc. but hopefully a more reliable unit than the original. Total cost $732 including labor. The Nippon Desco unit outputs 140 amps but needs a conversion kit to mount it and kits are no longer available.

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #14 Wade, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Actually, the $$$$ cap is the black one. Pretty comes in a lot cheaper at $165 to $450 depending on the source.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    Or you could switch over to what I'm running on my 3.2--a Mallory Unilite electronic distributor, timing is 34 degrees advance @ approx 3000 rpm. I replaced all plug wires and distro last summer for less than $100 in parts.

16. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #16 hank sound, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    Hi - - I had a kink in that same oil hose, but was lucky enough to find a used one in perfect condition for about $500. I first checked around here in the Los Angeles area, regarding having one custom made. Naah - - the $500 tab was better than suffering all the research agro, while trying to save a buck. Sometimes we pay a bit more, to enjoy the benefits of convenience.

Cheers, Hank

17. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Hi Hank,

I thought about just keeping the old one since the leak was really minor. Then I thought about buying a used 22 year old hose, but I figured that would be near the end of its lifespan. I ended up biting the bullet on a new one, and Ferrari picked up the labor as part of the major service so I saved some $$ lira.

Ask me how I know the shiny fuel cap costs $900? Because I spaced-out at the gas station and left mine at the pump. A guy on Ebay sells a knock-off for about $95, claims it's genuine Ferrari, but it's not. I lucked-out because another Ferrari customer special ordered one but never picked it up; I got a deep discount.

Prices are outrageous, but hey, I love my car :)

18. feiss

feiss Karting

Jan 23, 2014
    Bologna Italy
    Full Name:
    Carlo Faccioli
    Sorry but why the site RICAMBI AMERICA in Italy don't possible OPEN?

19. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    note that gas cap on my 82 Mondial 8 is interchangeable with that on my Bertone X 1/9s and can be had for a Fraction of the price
    Fiat x19 x1 9 Bertone 124 128 131 YUGO Strada Black Gas Cap Non Vented New | eBay

Parts prices by brand for same or comparable parts can be crazy. MB E500 and Chrysler Crossfire use the same MB sourced oil filter holder. MB is 1/2 the price of the Chrysler one. X 1/9 and my Mondial 8 use the same side marker lights and radiator cap down to the dimples and manufacturer codes