replacement parts expierences/problems | FerrariChat

replacement parts expierences/problems

Discussion in '206/246' started by GermanDino, Mar 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    as more and more new old stock parts are sold out and replacement parts are dominating the parts market these days, I would like to open this thread to share expierences.
    From my point of view a lot replacement parts cause a lot of problems.
    Especially gearbox and engine parts seems to be problematic....

Please come up with anything you expierenced (good or bad), so we can get a better overview what to buy....

Can any body recommend a good E-series replacement water pump? The one from DinoParts seems to have leaking problems (inner seal), recently three pumps showed the same problem....

2. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Very good idea Matthias.
    My firts question is: Where are manufactured all the parts sold by Superformance and DinoParts? Europe? Asia? Other countries?

3. rosso corsa motorsport

rosso corsa motorsport Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    some parts are made in south africa

4. rosso corsa motorsport

Nov 30, 2008
    the only correct Engine bearing is vanderwell and federal mogul, dinoparts have micky mouse bearing, he is an ******* to buy from cuz all his parts are just bad replicas
    exept for the headgasket that is superior from others

5. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I have no idea, but most of it is cheapest quality at premium prices.....

6. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I do agree...!

7. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Is the Superformance replacement water pump any good?

8. rosso corsa motorsport

Nov 30, 2008
    JE piston for Dinos are cheap mass produced crap

9. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Nice to hear that...! So if a Dino owner has a restoration project and many parts are missing, there is only crap available...?

10. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    CPS pistons from Italy are a top notch piston. Used on mine and many other GR4 Stratos. Vandervell bearings should be available. Carillo rods are available if needed though the stock rods are very good.

11. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    not everything is crap, but it`s getting worse and worse these days....
    so it would be great to hear as much as possible expierences here on FChat...

12. snowsports1

snowsports1 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    hi Matthias, I have a genuine water pump with a good casting nicely reconditioned with new internals and ready to go. PM me if you are interested.

13. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Lots of crap misrepresented and sold on the web....latest order from german vendor resulted in following catch:

Check valve brake servo: The valve was not appearing as shown on vendors web site photo. The shipped valve was appearing as a standard check valve for industrial plumbing installation. 15 cm long and >4 cm in diameter....imagine that part sitting in your engine room.

Flat head screws for service shells: The screws did not appear as the flat head screws shown on the web site. The shipped screws were standard slotted pan head stainless steel screws at a very premium price.

Cover for carburetor group: The cover did not appear as the cover shown on the web site. The shipped cover was without a flanged edge as shown on the picture on the web site and was basically just a flat piece of floppy steel sheet.

Bearing for steering rack: The bearing is not the correct size nor type for any original Dino 246 steering rack.

and the list goes on....

In all fairness I have also received very nice parts from this vendor, but it is a bit of a gamble. I wish that all our vendors would improve on parts description and origin, that would save us for a lot of hassle and money.

Regards

Peter

14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Peter I told him the rack bearing was incorrect 2 years ago and nothing seems to be done about it. Outrageous idiot

15. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    I have bought a lot of parts for my two dinos. I have always had a very good and fair experience with Ron at Superformance. He is very honest and knows precisely what he is talking about. They are always my "go to" guys. First class in my experience.

16. Nickrry

Nickrry Karting

Jan 4, 2009
    I am on my third 'dino' nose badge - they just fall to pieces. Everything made of rubber just falls apart after about a year.
    perhaps it would be more useful to list who has the good stuff

17. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    and for trim/body parts;
    GT bottom rear quarter glass trim are something very different from original, you need to buy in pairs if replacing them however I don't recommend.
    The A pillar trim for early cars in SS is ok but needs fitting.
    The roof gutter trim is ok for later GT but is costly.
    Rear quarter glass is ok.

Some bizarre swapping of parts and remanufacturing going on in some cases, the repro coolant header tank for example. I don't know why anyone would be happy with that on their Dino.

18. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I buy the rubber stuff from Cicognani, in general quite good quality...
    Dino 246 GTS (1972-74)

replica 'dino' nose badges are rediculous quality, it`s possible to find good ones in Maranello in the shops around the factory... I found a good one in Modena...

19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #19 synchro, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have bought tens of thousands of dollars from 3 major suppliers; Superformance, Dinoparts and GT Car Parts. Most of the time I have been very happy and I want to add that I am thankful for these cottage industries that support our cars but every once in a while things are not exactly right for my car. I also realize that there are huge variances in Dinos across the production range.

Superformance suspension U-Bolt £69.95 each (USD $115)
    Bought 8 of these (USD $922.56), shown adjacent to my original. The length was shorter and the "U" was too narrow compared to the original. In addition, it would not fit the standard suspension bushing.
    I returned these but Superformance insisted it must be at my expense, International shipping/insurance both ways was on my charge.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    thanks for posting Scott!!!

21. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    E series camshafts are an issue. I've had to replace 3 sets in my cars and the quality of the items available through DinoParts and Superformance varies considerably and we've had to return some of them. I believe both companies use a supplier based in the US. Maranello Classic Parts have had a new batch produced to the original factory spec's in Italy and they are far superior.

Glass - DinoParts replacement glass is not great quality in my experience, especially their windscreens.

Trim - a lot of repro items are hit and miss in terms of quality. DinoParts footwell air vents are very good for example whilst their horn push is not.

Nobody can supply the correct plastic heel pads for the carpet mat sets either. Luppi are the closest I've seen but the grain is incorrect. I have given O'Rourke CoachTrimmers, here in the UK, a perfect set of original E series heel pads which they are currently producing a mould from so those will be available shortly.

22. yakxx21

yakxx21 Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    I bought a simple part costing €18 and as I wanted it urgently paid for DHL...almost two weeks later it turned up...courier and vat costing more than the part... total cost about €38.

they had posted it normal post rate €6 ....pocketed the balance €12 + .....

I complained but was ignored...

wont be going back there...pity as im renovatiing my Dino down to the last nut and bolt..and would have spend many thousands there had they not ripped me off....

rather stupid mentality

23. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias

24. districtnumbereleven

Mar 24, 2014
    What issues did you have with JE Pistons?

25. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #25 TonyL, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    Whilst it is easy to criticise we have to realise that in most instances these parts are reproduced mostly to SH samples, so to copy a part exactly without original specifications and engineering drawings is hard, extremely time consuming and moreover very expensive to those attempting it. Agreed there is no excuse for some of the issues stated as those should have been identified much earlier before being sold.

Both suppliers mentioned so far, from my experience, truly try to provide good well produced parts, one in particular has a good record for correcting issues, the other less so IMHO.

We also have to consider that without all these companies taking the time and effort to expand their range, most of us would be stuck in reproducing the parts ourselves.....not easy. This would make restoring these beautiful cars much harder. Take the fellow dino owner who is looking for a 2nd gear. Nothing has turned up in 3 months of looking, many dead end car chases all over the world, extortion from some who say they have one and those that pretend to have one!! Result... one dino stuck in the garage as un-driveable because of one cog. The cost to now get one engineered is horrendous but now necessary.

I have ordered many parts from all sources over the past 12 years of restoring my car and can honestly say just because it has "Ferrari" stamped on it does not mean it is all good. Sometimes quite the reverse.

In my opinion we owe it to the suppliers to tell them when its wrong, if nothing is done about it then we have cause to gripe.

I have not heard anything inferior about J E Pistons either.