[How To] Replacing front silent block under the console | FerrariChat

[How To] Replacing front silent block under the console

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MvT, Mar 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I still needed to do one silent block so that I re-adjust my shift linkage. Started last week on this since I want it to be ready for a drive to Italy with some other Ferrari owners in May. We will visit the Mille Miglia (1000Miglia).

I recorded this with my phone and I can tell you this is an epic journey to replace the silent block. Do not mind my English and my favorite word is "ehmm" :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Q1nlDMUBc]Ferrari Mondial Front Silentblock Replacement - Part 1[/ame]

2. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    Thank you Tijn! That was very informative. I'm faced with sorting out the problem with my non responsive check control unit, so your exercise came at just the right time.

3. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Interesting journey. The PO of my Ballerina Rosso managed to srew up the tan leather console and lower dashbordpiece to clean it with a darker color. So 2 pieces in the car are looking they spend their intire life in a cigar bar.

A real pain to get them out I see. Since it's such a walk in the park to dismantle, I may want to pull the "while I'm in there..." -card.

(Both) thumps up on the cinematic view you and Bell are giving us in diving into our cars. Wrenching on cars with 1 hand glued on your camera, for me it would be an accident waiting to happen. I can't focus on wrenching, filming and narrating all together.

4. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hey MvT, I've watched, saved and archived your video ready for the day I boldly go where I have not gone before.
    It's great to see things real time so to speak and also actually see how careful one must be when doing work like this.
    Looking forward to the next installment...
    By the way, you red interior looks terrific!
    All the best, Bell

5. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    way to go Tijn, thanks for the extensive report.

Best
    Jurgen

6. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi MvT,

Great video!!!

I must say that when i removed my central LED control panel next to the shifter i just pulled it out gently and evenly horizontal at the same time and it came out. 2 wide flat screwdrivers, one at each end. You do not need to dismantle anything and dont need to take the big wire connectors off either. Mine came up with the connectors attached and then i unclipped them, very easy. I did this to see why my panel randomly flashes when i turn on the night lights. I figured its a bad earth.

Good luck with the silent block. I almost did mine when i couldnt shift anymore and it ended up being air in the system that needed bleeding.

Well done, between you and Bell Bloke we have Spielberg and Francis Ford Copolla competion for the Oscars:)

Cheers.

Peter

7. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #7 MvT, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    I'm not that fast as my Ferrari! I have some episodes in between still :) Cheers Bell, and to think that I really disliked the red color when I saw it for sale on the photos. It was just jumping out. When arrived I completely turned over.

The next episode.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maoRdsA5Dz0]Ferrari Mondial Front Silent block Replacement - Part 2[/ame]

8. Mondial 1985

Mondial 1985 Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    Thanks for the post. Although I removed my console before seeing your video, this will be a tremenous help. Once again, as evidenced here, Ferrari (Mondial) people are the best.

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Guys some delays this week. I will continue in the weekend again.

10. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Ok time to take it out and put a new one in!

Dictionary :)
    Squeeze tool: bench
    Smaller tool: small socket
    Bigger tool: bigger socket

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX5cHdzmvm4[/ame]

11. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Cheers for the nice comment guys!

12. Mondial 1985

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    Squeeze Tool = Vise

13. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Thx for clearing that up Mark! :)

This Mondial has had secrect inhabitants! I guess they could not afford it anymore to live in a Ferrari. The bed was left cold!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuW_vQjinbs]Silent block change 4 - YouTube[/ame]

14. Mondial 1985

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    Actually, the other day, I removed my L/H rear wheel well cover and discovered that the Pos (+) battery cable (where it disconnects for engine removal) was very poorly connected and wrapped in black electrical tape. Well, I fixed that but as I was performing a "while you're in there", I discovered some critter had built a home on top of the oil cooler. Like when I had my first Lotus, I removed the air box to replace the air filter and found a critter habitat complete with (what looked like) dog chow. Musta been storing it for the winter.

15. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi MvT I'm seriously behind on your tutorials, I will be catching up tomorrow hopefully.
    Regards Bell

ps. How did you get the youtube window in your posts?

16. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #16 MvT, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    The trick is to do it without the "s" in https and use .com with the watch?v= switch

Regular link, which you are using:
    http:// youtu .be/ Ph3EOIKdLgI

Now the same link in a different format (without the spaces), Fchat will do the rest.

Embedded You Tube:
    http:// www. you tube .com /watch?v=Ph3EOIKdLgI

17. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hey MvT, watched all your tutorials now and archived them.
    Your Dads car is lovely, what a wonderful little air cooled engine.
    It must be great fun working on your cars together, son and dad. ;-)
    Em and I have a real laugh doing ours together.
    Anyway keep up the good work, all the best, Bell.

18. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Thanks Bell! Panhard was ahead of its time in those days and only Andre Citroen saw this and bought the brand :) This is one of the reasons Citroen has always something different then other brands and had/has the looks of a Panhard.

Just for the record.. I am not fond on French cars :) but can you argue that Italian is better? haha