Steering Wheel Racing Stripe | FerrariChat

Steering Wheel Racing Stripe

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 134282, Feb 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    #1 134282, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Seeing as how I take copious pictures of every Ferrari I see, every time I see a Ferrari, I make a note of all of the varying details not only from model to model, but the different options that each model has compared others of that same ilk.

I've seen the racing stripe on steering wheels before - usually a red leather stripe sewn into a black leather steering wheel, sometimes the opposite; I've even seen a black leather racing stripe sewn into a black leather steering wheel.

But this is the first time I've seen a racing stripe on a carbon fiber steering wheel with LEDs. Is this an option offered to anyone ordering a 458, or was this a special-order configuration? I like the way it looks, especially with the carbon fiber driving zone; but the stripe coupled with the carbon fiber zone is something I've never seen before.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    It's "Extra Campionario" - it's apparently been "order-able" for quite some time.

I had seen some examples in the various Tailor-Made and personalization books in the past. When we went to the Atelier in Mugello, they must have had 6 different examples of these in a mix of leather, CF and one in the Alutex.

We actually spec'd one for our Speciale. Pricing is TBD, the FNA folks told us it would tentatively be $2400.

You can get pretty much any color combo you want, they can also do one on the center console.

What I heard in Italy is most dealers seem either unaware of how many options you really have to configure the car, or the process is too complex - or, as sometimes happens, something is lost in translation and it arrives "wrong".

If you like Ferraris and love cars, the Atelier experience is really special. You literally get to custom design your car, and have an incredible set of resources (actual parts, actual cars, actual product engineers) available. Of course the downside is each option costs $.

BTW all the options are what I'd call "vanity" options - aside from lighter wheels, Ferrari offer almost zero performance-related upgrades or options, even apparently with the SP cars.

3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    OR you could save $2400 and just put a piece of tape on there. :D

other advantages:
    you can change colors whenever the mood strikes. Maybe yellow or white.
    you can remove it when not at the track

this is what we used to do in the "old days" LOL

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Yes. I had a red stripe in my Honda Fit. I think that my 6 year old put it on there. Maybe I should tell him that he can make some side money by telling "his" steering wheel stripes on ebay as they're PhilNotHill approved.

5. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I received an advanced copy of the complete list of options allowable on a LaFerrari, and it's seemingly endless. It seems like it could take days or even weeks to decide on the car's complete livery before ever sitting down with your dealer to make the final arrangements. And seeing as how some options cancel out others, or are not available when coupled with other options, I can easily see how dealers and/or factory workers could get confused and something is either ignored or arrives not correctly specced. There were so few choices with the Enzo; there are thousands of combinations with LaFerrari.

6. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #6 MaranelloDave, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    Cool............. Very NASCAR. I did you one better by putting big florescent arrows on each side of the body pointing to the jack points. I also ripped off my fender badges and replaced them with big Jegs decals.

8. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Well, I guess you don't like it. I'm just devastated.

9. TooTall

TooTall Karting

Sep 15, 2006
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Kurt O.
    The stripe on the top of the wheel came from rallying, at least that's the first place I recall seeing it. It gave the driver a quick visual queue as to where top dead center of the wheel was. If you've ever seen in-car footage of rallying and how fast they saw at the wheel, you could see how this could be helpful. It is also a variation on ships wheels where the top dead center part of the wheel would usually have an ornately carved knob or handle, or some elaborate rope knotting so the helmsman could easily tell when the rudder was amidships.

10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Looks great. Really. The interior of your car is stunning. I love the gauges.

BTW because of NASCAR we have duct tape that comes in different colors besides silver. I have red and black but no yellow.

Best

Life is good.
    Life is better driving a Ferrari.
    May the horse be with you.

11. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Love that tape! However I am reluctant to do this to mine as I am concerned about triggering a Check Engine Light (CEL) error... any advice?

12. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Is that really just a piece of tape? You did a hell of a job. It's indistinguishable from the factory stripe. Nice touch!

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    LOL :)

I think it looks great.

14. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks guys. It is just a piece of vinyl tape and does look "factory" in person. Total investment was $2.60 and 10 minutes of my time. If/when I get tired of it, I can just take it off. ;)

15. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Best post ever.

16. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Seen it in WRC and it has real use in ice racing (I've used it to good effect there) where you are winding in huge amounts of lock in each direction.. For those cases it makes sense..

Also makes sense for a car with a removable steering wheel to make sure you get it straight once you get in and put on the wheel...

But if your wheel isn't removable, and you need that on a road course you are doing something wrong....

And besides your eyes shouldn't be looking at anything in the car if you are paying attention to the track...

Just say'n....

17. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It's not about "needing it" to drive. In fact, it's not even about function at all. It's just for fun.

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not a chance that the 2 drops of paint are 2400usd. Surely carbon fiber steering wheel + LEDS are included in that.

19. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Carbon wheel + LEDs are standard on Speciale. In a regular 458, the "CF Driver Zone" (LEDs, CF wheel/paddles/tach surround) is about $7500 IIRC.

20. P_RSR

P_RSR Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Knowing Ferrari, 2400 for a steering wheel stripe sounds very accurate...

21. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    Are you kidding? True, it sounds like a lot for just the stripe, but no way you're going to get an entire carbon fiber steering wheel plus LEDs for that price. Heck, a steering wheel with contrasting stitching for my old 360 costs over two grand and it only has a horn button.

Twenty Four Hundred bucks seems to be in line with what you might expect to pay for a cup holder or perhaps a set of floor mats with your girlfriend's name embroidered on them.

22. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The tape is the way to go. Nice!

23. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Yeah, but I bet it voids the warranty.

:)

24. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    Plus you have to change it every year and I'll bet that takes a special Ferrari tool.

25. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    And it needs to be changed whether you drive it or not - but if he sells it and someone else wants to buy it, they won't be allowed to see the service records that show whether or not the tape was ever changed.