Ford GT crash on Sunset Blvd | FerrariChat

Ford GT crash on Sunset Blvd

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Flash G, Feb 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Happened this afternoon. (This Sunday.)

GT went out of control and went into opposite lane of traffic and hit a pickup truck. Passenger in the GT was killed.

Anyone know any more details?

2. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Apparently, Salma Hayek's brother was the driver. Passenger was killed.

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  5. Andrewo

Andrewo Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2011
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Sunset Boulevard is really slippery. I was turning left on to Sunset a few months ago and a car was coming so I gave it a little gas to get out of the path of traffic and the back end of the car came completely loose. That was with traction control on and Pirelli P Zeros too. It would be very easy to lose control of a GT on that road.

6. fullmonty

fullmonty Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2007
    LALAland
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Been driving that stretch of road since the mid-70's. Yes, it can be slippery but good judgement is better than a heavy pedal, especially on the street.

7. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I've been driving that stretch forever. In 2007, I was hit by a drunk on a curve between Beverly Hills and Bel Air that took my Exige out of service for 6 months. I've also ruined three different rims on two of my Rovers on the stretch of Sunset through UCLA. Some of the WORST potholes in town are on Sunset between UCLA and the 405.

8. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I'm on that road at least 6-10 times a year,not perfect maybe but smooth and nice like brand new stretch of Autobahn when compared to our Chicago streets,especially now.....

9. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I drive that road at least 5 times a week. I've driven that road all hours of the day. There is usually a lot of traffic! Especially in the afternoon. Late at night, early morning when nobody is around you can have some fun. But the road is in poor condition and at times slippery due to sprinkler runoff

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  11. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
  12. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Sad to see. Looks like it happened right before the big S curve over there. Sometimes there would be water running accross the street. Man that was a crazy strip of road starting from the Bel Air East gate Whittier Rd.

13. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Indeed! The guy with the big house on the hill runs his sprinklers way too much- hence the stream on Sunset. It looks like this crash was just east of beverly glen, before the water

14. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Just drove by there heading to the Legacy in Westwood. That water is flowing across the road... as usual. It's ALWAYS there right after the sweeping "S" curve going westbound.

15. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I drive this stretch regularly (early mornings and late nights) and completely concur. The right-hand lanes in both directions are a complete mess of potholes and slippery areas where concrete drains extend into the lane. I've destroyed good tires on potholes and have been rear-ended after a light rain due to the slipperiness in one of the concrete sections. Basically, if you drive in the right lane, you'e asking for trouble. Unfortunately, if you drive in the left lane, then you put yourself at risk of getting taken out by aggressive drivers headed in the opposite direction.

16. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Is that what that's from!? I've been on Sunset 100+ times... not once was that part of the road dry. Safety never crossed my mind. It's always, "Crap, this is going to spin up all over my car."

17. Quilty

Quilty Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I almost think that they leave the road surface in such a terrible condition so as to discourage Against All Odds activities. Also, the visibility is terrible.

18. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Christian, I think it's more along of the lines of it would be nearly impossible to resurface the street as there really aren't too many detours.

19. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    correct. it is a major p.i.t.a. during rush hour on that stretch because of people taking beverly glen over to the valley. the roads over there are f-ing terrible