Any Bentley Continental Owners? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Any Bentley Continental Owners?

Discussion in 'British' started by Dohangs, Mar 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    You can say that again. I always stayed away from dirt bikes but I thought since I'm older and more mature, I thought why not. Well big mistake. Got a CR250F and while its a blast, I have done a bunch of crazy things.

Speaking of, a friend rolled a Honda Odyssey 4 wheeler this past week end and rolled it shattering his arm 5 places. Guess what he forgot to put on?

Ouch!

2. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack

I'm already paranoid with the IRS so probably not the wisest thing to register a 200K car as a business vehicle. I need less red flags when they review my returns. ;)

3. craigbothwell

craigbothwell Rookie

Jan 1, 2011
    Yikes !!! 60 to 90K and the cars are "running fine." I would certainly hope so. My volvo has 200K and is now just broken in.

4. Brocki

Brocki Rookie

Jun 20, 2012
    Have a 05 GT and had to replace the power steering, the rear brake light and now the tyre pressure sensor, gas temperatur sensor and parking sensor have to be replaced after the car went into limp mode while being in the garage for a flat tyre all after only 20.000 miles.
    Horrendous costs, very bad service from various official dealer maintenance shops and little knowledge on site. The sensors alone are £ 2,000.00 not to mention the rest.
    I would never buy one again.

5. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Wow. Never heard of a cgt going into limp home because of a faulty tyre sensor.....maybe it's just on federal cars...what symbol came up on the DIP?

6. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    I had to replace all my tire sensors, but that did not cause any other failures on the car. It only meant I got an annoying message that my tire pressures. No big deal really. I am now over 40k miles after 5 years driving it and drove it just yesterday and it is still an amazing car. Running costs have been lower than with my Ferrari that I drove 1/10 as much.

7. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Are you sure you paid £2000? Those sensors are around £140 each ( genuine), seems exessive...

8. sammyinla

sammyinla Rookie

Feb 8, 2014
    I have an 06 Continental GT and I have the EXACT same problem. I have no idea how to fix this. Every time I have checked, the brake lights all seem to work but I get the dash warning light (check brake lights) about 50% of the time and sometimes it goes away completely after I drive for a while and sometimes the reminder light on the dash stays there. Any ideas anyone?

9. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Pull the bulb out of the warning light.

10. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    This is a well known problem with the early style 3rd brake light, which is susceptible to moisture intrusion. The answer is to replace it with the new style that addresses the issue. Any Bentley dealer or knowledgeable independent will be fully aware of this and able to replace the 3rd brake light in a few hours. There IS a technique to do so WITHOUT removing the rear windscreen. No biggie, actually.

Alex

11. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Even better, aftermarket but functionally identical sensors are widely available for $140 for a set of *4*. I know this for a fact as I just bought a set for the winter wheels for my CGT (which I love). I bought mine from OEM Wheels, LLC, IIRC.

Alex

12. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Does anybody have any experience with the flying spur in snow? Does it really behave as well as they claim? Does the 4 wheel drive work?

13. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    If it snows in Socal, I'll let you know :)

14. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Yes, it really works. Bentley sells a winter wheel and tire package for the GT and Spur, which you'll want. With 4 snow tires, it's a tank. I use my CGT to commute in and out of NYC from Dutchess County. With 4 snows it's as capable as anything on the road.

Alex

15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thanks alex.
    i guess its the same 4 wheel drive system as audi and porsche, so it must work reasonably well. do you have a separate set of rims for the winter tires?

16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    My wife had one for 2 years as daily/family car (Chicago).
    Had Winter tires (always put them on all my cars,should be criminal not to have them in snowy climate) and that car was unstoppable no matter how bad the weather was.

17. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Yes, I have a second set of 19" rims specifically sold by Bentley for winter tires (they are narrower - 19x7.5). That said, you could easily buy Phaeton rims from TireRack for this purpose if you wished - same wheels.

18. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Great car in the snow/slush/ice! Use the Blizzak LM60 on both the GT and GTC, with the car handing like an Audi/Subie in deep snow only *far* better. As others have suggested, use another set of rims for winter tires as you can get Bentley rims for under $1k/set in the 19" size if you keep checking eBay. Reliability is very good other than few normal niggles, which are all well-known. Guys on the 6Speed forum have an abundance of info. And yes, far lower operating costs than a Ferrari and it gets driven quite a bit as the GTC is my daily driver 24/7/365.

19. DLPmercutio1942

Sep 2, 2015
    Purchased Bentley GT new 2006. Always maintained by Bentley dealership. Repeated tire failures. Occasionally immediately after service which did not find problems. Always blamed on need for alignment. Get all new tires and start over. Then new tires fail again in the same manner. Have gone through 3-4 sets in this way. Now -- air suspension failure. Blamed on long history of lack of maintenance. BY THE SAME DEALERSHIP which has always maintained.

Great engine /drivetrain. Tires suspension -- not so much.

20. Gene G

Gene G Karting

Jul 13, 2015
    Saint Johns Fl.
    Full Name:
    Gene
    #45 Gene G, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a 08 Bentley Conentinal GT Speed and haven't had any problems with it. It is beautiful. It is Bronze with a coniac and burnt oak interior. Fit and finish of it is to a Mercedes as a Mercedes is to a Chevrolet.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

George Vosburgh likes this.
  21. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    beautiful color!

22. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Gorgeous! Have you had any seat time or owned a base GT? I'm in the market for an 09/10 and debating between Speed and Base.

23. Iadvise

Iadvise Karting

Mar 5, 2013
    The Speed is spectacular. The throatiness of the car coupled with the space and luxury is hard to find better.

I am considering a 2015 flying spur V8 as a daily driver...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #49 Jo Sta7, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My '12 Conti GT. Sorry for the rotated view I can't seem to upload my pics such that they post normal. Is there a trick I'm missing?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Looks good from any angle!