Ferrari 250 GTO body from 3D scan | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 250 GTO body from 3D scan

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by 3DE, Mar 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3DE

3DE Rookie

Mar 22, 2013
    Dorset in England
    Full Name:
    Stuart Brown
    ...And the your work is amazing and I need to log onto this forum more!

2. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    Very cool stuff. Hope to see more.

3. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Beautiful Work!

4. Putros

Putros Rookie

Feb 24, 2014
    Could there be files available for 3d scanner?? to purchase, naturally.

5. 3DE

3DE Rookie

Mar 22, 2013
    Dorset in England
    Full Name:
    Stuart Brown
    Hi,

If re 250 GTO. Sorry, but CAD is not available.

6. 3DE

3DE Rookie

Mar 22, 2013
    Dorset in England
    Full Name:
    Stuart Brown
    #31 3DE, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Close to a conclusion on the 250 GTO body after......
    ...Travelling over three continents.
    ...Sorting out parts to test data.
    ...Dealing with all the data and designing a buck.
    ...Working out as many options as I could that could be changed on buck according to preference. This includes wheelbase, bonnet, arches, rear spoiler etc, etc.

Rough renders below. Will sort out better visuals when I have a chance. They really are basic at the moment.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. 3DE

3DE Rookie

Mar 22, 2013
    Dorset in England
    Full Name:
    Stuart Brown
    #32 3DE, Mar 26, 2014
    Parts/assemblies that needed to fit but were not the body itself had to be bought and borrowed, scanned and then converted into simple CAD models.

Much book action also.

On another thread the viability of using scale models was discussed. Had lunch yesterday with a volume model maker - non Ferrari related -and he was of the same a opinion. It would be difficult to get working. For example, say you have a 1:12th scale model that is 5% out. Entirely possible. A Marchal lamp is about 170mm wide. So you could be +/- 9mm out on one small item. Also, how would you get the rear of the lamp and fixings in this scenario?

8. JOHNCJ8989

JOHNCJ8989 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    John
    Very very cool!

9. 3DE

3DE Rookie

Mar 22, 2013
    Dorset in England
    Full Name:
    Stuart Brown
    #34 3DE, Mar 28, 2014
  10. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Nice are these New bodys for sale ?

11. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Amazing progress!!

12. Gid

Gid Rookie

Apr 29, 2014
    I am so impressed with what you are doing, have you made any further progress?, what are you planning to do, build a complete car?, is this for yourself or a client?

All the best

13. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Very cool. Subscribed.

14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    This is a warning to everyone posting in this thread. I've had to delete a number of posts from different users for violating the rules on advertising. If you want to offer something for sale to our users, subscribe and list it in the classified section.

15. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Well that killed a mother interesting thread….

16. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Not to derail, but... Just had to go to the dentist for a broken tooth, expecting 2 or 3 visits, temporary crown, etc. However, he had a 3D printer, and after scanning me he put a block of porcelain in the printer, I listened to it go, "zip, zip, zip for a few minutes, and in less than an hour I had a new crown. The times, they are a-changin'. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

17. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #42 GordonC, Apr 11, 2015
    Not sure if 3DE is still participating on the forum, but if he is, I'd like to hear his thoughts on basing his scans and model on one particular example out of 39 handbuilt examples, all with slight variations from each other.

The point that made me think of this was the location of the front corner indicator lights - his scans and model have them high on the side beside the headlight buckets, yet most of the GTOs seem to have the front indicator lights lower down on the side, below the headlight bucket height, with the production teardrop side marker lights immediately behind the headlight buckets. The side gills on the front fender are another obvious point of variations, with 2 or 3 slots used on the production cars. It's pretty easy to find photos of GTOs to see all the variations of these details, here's one group shot from the 45th anniversary gathering in California in 2007:

18. ferrariformulauno

ferrariformulauno Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2008
    33km from Maranello
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Cool Stuff Indeed.

Andre

19. mlgtoeng

mlgtoeng Rookie

Jul 1, 2010
    i would be glad to talk to Cesare and 3DE. Please PM me

20. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

are you with Roberto's shop?

21. ephemeral

ephemeral Rookie

Jun 3, 2016
    Interesting applications eh?

I hear people go both ways about this, oh you shouldn't copy art and oh you should make sure it's preserved. In my mind it's brilliant. Why selfishly hide the beauty of these art pieces from the newer generations. They deserve to be inspired as well. Keep the originals in a safe place and race these. win, win?

22. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    This is a funny old section!

In this thread we have someone being offered help and suggestions on how to make a fake 250 GTO (call it a recreation/replica/tribute or whatever, at the end it's still going to be a fake GTO designed to try to fool people into thinking that it's something it's not), and in other threads, the very same type of cars are being criticised for the exact same thing!

23. dkennemo

dkennemo Rookie

May 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dwayne Kennemore
    So when it comes to laser scanning for 3D printing, it has to be more challenging than just pointing and clicking doesn't it? Is there some "post processing" to take out the blemishes in the scanned version before you try to print it?

Does anyone have experience with some of the new systems that print metal? If you can faithfully scan with high tolerance and print metal, it seems like you could print off rare engine parts or even *body panels*...

24. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    3D scanning gives a "point cloud". You then have to manipulate that point cloud within a Cad/Cam package to create a smooth solid surface. It is very, very time consuming.

While you can now 3d print metal parts it is still relatively in its' infancy. For engine parts and anything under stress you would be better off taking the CAD data and machining a part on a CNC mill or lathe. Recreating body panels is still easier done by hand IMO. Once I have a correct buck or form to shape aluminum from I can shape a panel much faster, more accurately and far cheaper than any type of 3d printing. It's even easier if Ii have the real car to take a paper pattern off of.

25. dkennemo

dkennemo Rookie

May 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dwayne Kennemore
    A paper pattern?? How does that work?

I know a lot more about computers than I do bodywork - so a buck is that wooden lattice looking thing, right? Is the idea that you lay the metal over it and just hammer the metal into conformity (presumably the hammer contacts the metal right over the wood)?