First Ferrari with factory front fender badges? | FerrariChat

First Ferrari with factory front fender badges?

Discussion in '348/355' started by MrShades, Feb 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MrShades

MrShades Rookie

Sep 23, 2009
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Claus Roger Schjerverud
    When i see Ferraris new or olf almost all of them have the front fender emblems/badges

Any here know which model was the first Ferrari to come from the factory with the fender badges/emblems?

2. MrShades

MrShades Rookie

Sep 23, 2009
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Claus Roger Schjerverud
    So it looks like the 1998 F355 and the 550 where the first cars with the badges

I think that people put badges on old Ferrari`s and that does not look "right" if you ask me

ShineKen likes this.
  3. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    That thread was for the 1st car with the badges as an option. Prior to that all cars which had some type of racing providence had the SF shields (includes special road models like the 288GTO, F40, 348GTC and F50 as cars which had SF shields as standard prior to them becoming an option) :)

ShineKen likes this.
  4. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I agree and don't think the current cars (LaF excepted) should have them, either. They used to mean something, not anymore.

5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I agree the true meaning may have been lost but it still has a relevant meaning to the Ferrari history. I'm not a total stock guy but I prefer minimal modifications and I think the shields are a very tasteful mod especially if they are Yoshi shields.

6. jellypig

jellypig Karting

May 6, 2013
    East Midlands, UK
    All Models

If you scroll back to the 1950's , the pictures of the 250GT and 250 California have badges on the front. If you scroll through time, a lot in the 60's did, though not so many in the 70's and 80's - but back with avengance in the 90's and beyond.

(obviously I'm assuming that photos on the manufacturers website are correct and period and not of cars that have been altered by subsequent owners)

My 348 should, theoretically, have black on the rear, and none on the front. But it has Chrome on both. I would go for black at the rear, if I saw a bargain, but I'm happy with the chrome, I like how it presents the grille.

7. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I love the shields and, to be honest, when I see a modern Ferrari (348 onwards) without them it looks unfinished to me. Kind of naked.
    I really think the cars look a lot better with the shields and I couldn't care less about whether it's "historically accurate" or whatever.

What I don't get is the utterly bizarre debate about the TYPE of shields.
    Hundreds of hours have been consumed and thousands of words have been typed about whether they have to be original, Yoshi (the effort and expense some are prepared to go to to find and justify these shields - which at the end of the day are still fake - is extraordinary), cheap plastic, metal, stick-on, etc. etc.

If they are not supposed to be on your car anyway, why pontificate endlessly about whether they exactly replicate to the last infinite detail the factory ones?

Compared to this, the debate about whether the dot on the "i" in Ferrari is round, oval, rectangular etc. seems completely reasonable. (See the sills thread if you don't know what I'm talking about).

...All meant (partly) tongue-in-cheek before anyone decides to get offended... :)

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Steve, it's all about the relentless attention to detail, in other words, OCD. And, I'm proud of it :D

9. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Fair enough Dave. Just having a laugh. Not meant to be taken too seriously.

But surely once you have departed from absolute stock - by, for example improving your headers, exhaust, cats etc. - what's the point in being anal about things like shields?

If some bloke came up to me and was upset because on my shields the angle of the white bit on the horses hind leg wasn't quite right, I'd be calling the men in white coats...

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Steve, departing from stock is one thing. Doing so with class is another. Adding a high quality shield is much better than adding some crappy one.

I know some guys have those Gruppe M intakes or whatever they are called. I'm sure they work well but nothing looks more out of place in the 355 engine by than those awful looking blobs ;)

11. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Damn. And I really wanted those Gruppe M intakes.
    No, really. I did.
    I guess I could always refuse to open the engine lid...

But regarding shields, I suggest about 0.0000000000000001% of the population would know or care whether the shields are factory, look the same as factory, are not quite the same as factory, are stick-on, metal, fibreglass... or whether they're even meant to be there at all!

And I'm 100% sure that none of those people are 20 year old lingerie models, so I don't care.

:)

12. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Mine aren't original and at 2 concours events I don't know if they caused a deduction or not. At one I saw the judge run his hand over it sort of checking if it was indented which it clearly isn't

If Brian comes back maybe he can comment on deduction or not and for how much if yes.

13. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #14 bobzdar, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    Yeah, but for me that .00000000000001% would be about the only people's whose opinion I might care about. What joe blow on the street thinks about my car, I couldn't care less, he probably thinks it's a kit car and that's fine with me. What a Ferrarista that knows the history of the marque thinks I might care a little about. That said, even most of those like the shields on any car anyway. As to whether they're factory or yoshields or whatever, doesn't matter to me one iota. It's what they (used to) symbolize, that the car was developed or prepared by the racing department, that is (was) important.

Fwiw, a lot of those early cars or '80's cars that were for special customers that had shields had them because the racing department had something to do with the car, either in terms of developing it or modifying it. Cars like the Agnelli TR, Schumacher's personal f355 etc. were not stock, they had internal engine work done by the racing dept. among other things. Hence, they got the shields. If you were a special customer, they'd send your car to the scuderia for some hotter cams, head work and possibly some other modfications and they'd put the shields on. In the '60's, that was extremely common as a lot of the cars then were dual purpose race/street cars, hence shields on a lot of them.

14. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Me too. And I was going to put shields on them.

15. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
  16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #17 johnk..., Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    Back in the 80's when I bought my 308 I saw 308s with factory (indented) shields.

Pretty sure, but I could be mistaken.

17. MrShades

MrShades Rookie

Sep 23, 2009
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Claus Roger Schjerverud
    #18 MrShades, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    John i am pretty sure that no 308 was delivered from the factory with the shields

If i bought a 308 GTB(i am European so it is only the GTB/coupe for me)with fender shields on the front fenders the first thing i would do is to take them off because you can tell from a long distance that the shields does not belong on the car
    The car that have the shield original have a "recess" on the fenders where the shields sit so the shields will be more level/smooth with the fenders

I dont like the shields on the 348 either

The cars that came from the factory with shields/badges have fenders that is recessed/indented like the one on the picture below
    That is when the shields/badges look good to me. Having said that they would look strange without the shields/badges
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Actually this isn't true, the 348 GT Competizione had shields on as standard, direct from factory and the fenders were not recessed/indented ;)....go figure :confused:

ShineKen likes this.
  19. FCOnyx

FCOnyx Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'm no expert and could easily be wrong, but I thought as far as the 355 went, that the Fiorano editions were the first (maybe only) ones that came with OEM scudettos. No?

20. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No. They were optional starting in '98 and I've seen them with the indented fenders on GTB's and GTS's as well - Fioranos were spiders only.