Any Adobe experts here? Help need with InDesign. | FerrariChat

Any Adobe experts here? Help need with InDesign.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by TheBigEasy, Feb 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    We're having trouble getting our printer to properly lay out pages to print booklets.

It's been suggested that we should have the pages layout done with InDesign first, then simply print the PDF's.

These are the 2 formats we need:

3-up (4.5"x4.5" booklet) on 17"x11" paper (hotdog fold)

2-up (3.75"x6.5" book) on 8.5"x14" paper (hamburger fold)

Is this possible?

2. Call Me Daddy

Call Me Daddy Karting

Jan 11, 2009
    Seal Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I work in commercial printing. I have had very little luck convincing my print driver or my copiers' RiP engine to output books correctly for me unless they are very basic fold and are very standard size. How many pages are the books? Is it possible to lay out the booklet and use an imposition program to layout the multiple sigs the way you need them?

3. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Indesign and Quark Express are pretty much the industry standards. If you don't want to spend the money, there's also open source software such as Scribus. Here's a link.

Scribus.net

4. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Hi, the booklets are typically 20-30 pages. The covers print on cover stock in order with the rest of the pages.

We have a big Konica Minolta that has been able to do this in the past... but when we moved everything to a new computer, the page layout settings won't work correctly. (We've had KM service people out and they don't know why) In the meantime we've been having to do our printing from the old computer which is very annoying.

Since I posted this, it's been suggested to me that in order to do what we want in InDesign, we need to add this Imposition Software plugin: Imposition Software -- It's only $39, so we'll try it next week.

Thanks, I'll check it out. We already have InDesign though with our CS6 suite.

5. Call Me Daddy

Call Me Daddy Karting

Jan 11, 2009
    Seal Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That is pretty reasonable. The quark imposition plug in I had to purchase around 8-10 years ago was about $1500! I do lots of booklets that are between 80-100 pages so it was a must for me.