Time to rip this Dino seller for misrepresentation | FerrariChat

Time to rip this Dino seller for misrepresentation

Discussion in '206/246' started by HMB-Dino, Feb 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Check out this E-series Dino GTS on eBay and see why Ferrari Classiche seems to be meaningless...

Ferrari Other 246 Dino GTS | eBay

A few hints;
    - no seat headrests
    - Euro lighting, but US gauges (Dino Register claims it to be US model)
    - what's `Giallo Dino' yellow?
    - claims `fender flares and Daytona seats'...I see no fender flares

So what's up with this Dino seller?

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Looks like a hodgepodge restoration to me. Changing USA turn signals to Euro would be a deal breaker for me if I was looking for a top rated car. Dino register has it as a USA car with wire wheels for some of it's life. Seems like they would have put headrests on the seat before they tried to market the car.

3. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    He doesn't know anything about Dinos. :D

4. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    How is the running gear?

If that is OK, is the price low enough to put some headrests on it and just live with the parking lights?

(you could just call the color whatever name you like)

5. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Shouldn't the badge also read "GTS" instead of "GT"?

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #6 synchro, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    RM Auctions May 2007, lot #211
    Sold for €137.500
    Chassis no. 05694
    http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=162993

I find those ebay ads aggravating where sellers claim full deniability "I'm selling this for a friend/client and know nothing about it...."
    BTW, I have seen that Classiche Certification will still produce their nicely bound book if the incorrect Engine is installed in the car.
    Looks like they added some to the description:

On Feb-01-14 at 11:55:29 PST, seller added the following information:
    We have had a few questions come up regarding the stated history of this car, here are a few notes to clear any confusion.

We are offering this beautiful car on behalf of our client, unfortunately we have been at the mercy of others for correct information prior to the car's restoration. The information we have been given regarding this car is a result of researching prior ownership through the Dino Registry, & published data from both the RM Auction & Factory certification from 2006-2007. ....

7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Nope

8. Chairs and Flares

Nov 15, 2011
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Surely, nobody is surprised by inaccurate claims from a used car seller. One can only hope that buyers will perform adequate due diligence. A proper PPI will invalidate the sellers silly claims. (Not that you need an expert to notice missing fender flairs.) Let's hope that forums like this help buyers make good decisions.

9. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    This "Dino" is in northern California and now I'm pretty sure I saw it at last August Rolex Monterey Motorsports event (aka Monterey Historics) at Laguna Seca. It was under a tent of an outfit participating in the event. I wanted to ask a few questions about it and the owner/seller was summoned. He was pushing the Classiche thing and I didn't have the heart to say that was BS to his face. There were so many things incorrect with this car, but it was a very `pretty' car.

As a side note, bidding is now up to $222k

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    According to the records, this Dino was delivered to:

Tom G.
    Sacramento, Ca on 9/10/73

It was delivered through Art Zier Pontiac

It was originally Ferrari Light Red w/ a Black interior

11. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Well, that is too expensive.

12. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #12 tx246, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    I am not ripping the seller, as he is most likely just consigned the car and only did fundamental research. I am not ripping the owner who consigned it, because he may not even know what he has.

I do think this is a clear indication of the problem with Classiche. When the car was sold at RM, it had US Spec side lights. It had some weird silver crackle paint that the chassis tag was mounted on. It had an engine that had been painted. I didn't see any interior pics. Yet the car came with the Classiche papers.

Now that the car has been modified, the Classiche papers still are used as support for an original spec car. The interior has more things wrong with it than right, and I don't t know when that was done, but the car had headrests at the RM Auction. The trunk is wrong. The tools are wrong. The engine compartment has several wrong aspects.

Now having said that, those of us who aren't obsessed with detail, who are a small percent of people who would buy a Dino anyway, this looks like a nice car for someone wanting to have fun with. We obsess about details, but then when someone restores a car the right way, only a very few minority get driven. They sit as show pieces. This is a car that could be driven and have lots of fun with.

13. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    No- they all say "GT".

14. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    What color is "Ferrari Light Red"?

15. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    What we would typically rossa corsa, normal red

16. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    <<As a side note, bidding is now up to $222k>>
    <<Well, that is too expensive.>

Relax. $222K and hasn't hit the reserve price yet. More fun to come.

17. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    It is a literal translation of the Italian name for the bright red used on the Dino - Rosso Chiaro.

18. ken4dino

ken4dino Rookie

Jan 21, 2014
    Tokio
    Full Name:
    Ken A
    You mentioned here that the tools are wrong. I just am curious; what car is the tool kit in the picture of this ad for?

BR,

19. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Looks like it is maybe a 308 toolkit, kinda hard to say without it showing it open. It is definitely not a 246 toolkit.

20. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#20 dinogts, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Any idea what dealer performed the Classiche Certification inspection?

Other than complaining about the expense of the Classiche Certification process, without reading the complete certification, we really have no idea how good or bad the certification itself was. In fact, the English language portion of the title page for the certification reads:

"('Ferrari') hereby certifies that, subject to the qualifications as outlined in the enclosed technical file, if any, the following car (the 'Car') is authentic."

So, if the apparent color change is noted, the side marker light change is noted, along with whatever else that has been changed is noted, then whoever buys this car will know that they didn't buy a fiberglass re-bodied Pontiac Fiero, at least I think they would.

Speaking of Pontiac Fieros, I wonder . . . . (see separate posting - http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/206-246/440116-what-about-my-re-bodied-pontiac-fiero-could-i-get-classiched-subject.html ).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login