80 400i 5-spd in Connecticut | Page 2 | FerrariChat

80 400i 5-spd in Connecticut

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by philS, Jan 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Those that know me know that I have been on this board for about 18 months,lol so no rushing there. I do not own one like you do BUT I would have to disagree "that they come out of the woodwork all the time',(I know b/c I really do LOOK 7 nites a week) some from time to time and VERY FEW in a manual so when I see one I do get excited BUT not to the point I hope to make a grave mistake.

The fact that the seller while having a very good reputation refused to accept a deposit made me think I need to move on this car; I can always walk away after spending the PPI dollars, but I do appreciate all the advice from the 400 owners. Doc

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Speaking of which, what, if anything, can you impart, on 31723?

3. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Ok, maybe not all the time but often enough not to be too bothered if it doesn't work out. I am quite smitten with this car too! The colors are superb.

4. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    That's what got me to take a second look........Doc

5. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I note tonight the bid is at $22K; no wonder he did not want a deposit, he did not tell me it was going on ebay...after I thought about it I now see why no deposit. His site says $29K but on ebay there is no "BIN" price.

I would hate to just buy it for $29K and I think all of you would agree that would be stupid without the PPI; wonder why he is in such a hurry and knowing I would do a deposit should have shown some seriousness on my part. I even told him that Bill wanted a deposit up front to secure a slot for a PPI next week......oh well, if I lose it it's just back to looking again, Doc

6. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ..careful, it looks really nice and a crazy guy like me might buy it from under you...I sure miss my 456m gt and as the french saying "jamais deux sans trois" (maybe relating to bedroom antics LOL), could be a nice addition, you snooze, you lose!

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

bill did the ppi on my 512 bbi 11 years ago. he and peter have become friends of mine...both great guys and serious Ferrari knowledge resides in them both!

8. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    do what you got to do; I am waiting for Bill to look at the car this week and till then there is nothing else I can do on my end; your having owned this model and likely handy can jump in and not worry what you bought, I on the other hand cannot and so I need to know it is pretty mechanically sound on the front end. It's been about 18 months on this board and if I miss this one I will just have to wait for another bus to come along....this car does have as you french would say "a certain je ne sais quai" about her......Doc

9. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    DogDoc like I told you if it belong to you it will be there. If not, there is a better one for you somewhere.

10. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Thnx for the comments! Doc

11. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Good luck on this doc. I hope you get it.

In your OP you said "...acceptable to your standards." Looking at the pictures, the cosmetics seem very good to me. Mechanical standards can not be established by pictures. But having seen that the car appears to have been taken care of cosmetically, bodes well for it's mechanical condition.

Nothing like warped heads and rotors, and slightly bent valves, maybe a nontraceable electrical problem to change a Ferrari experience from bliss to AAaaarrgghhhh !!!

I can tell you that when I bought my 356GT4 2+2 I sent it to a reputable shop to have made ready for service. Nothing was wrong. Just the normal things to make it safe and reliable.

That was a $6K service. So getting one that may not need that $$$ right now is worth a premium IMO.

Again, GLWTP.

Nice color too. The color of my first Ferrari. Mine was a '72 Daytona in Russo Rubino. :)

The colors during some of these years may have changed a little bit, while the name may not always have. One of those little things.

12. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    have to wait to see what happens, Doc

13. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    #38 dogdoc97, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    The car is up to $28,100 tonite and Peter was asking $29K, at this pace with 8 days to go I think he could get a buyer well over $30K.....any thoughts? I could bid it to $29K and see if he takes it, or send him an email tonite if he reads it and buy it at $29K with NO PPI which is not what I want to do.........I doubt he will let me get that PPi now.......hell at this pace he might not take $29K, that would be up to him..........

PS There is a new 400 on ebay; anyone recognize the car, although it's been repainted...and a tired red interior and in Auto mode even though the ad says manual....I am very disappointed, never saw this scenario coming , Doc

14. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day DogDoc,

Remember that there are a number of Ebay auction winners that never come through with the $$$ for the particular item. As a consequence I believe that seasoned sellers know this and would be more inclined to work with someone who is less anonymous that an Ebay buyer. Given that you offered a deposit and have scheduled a PPI, you are obviously serious and most sellers would respect this.

As for pressure to buy without doing your due diligence... it is a tough call... All I can say is that in my experiences in similar situations where I simply jumped in, I got knackered the majority of the time, but thankfully not too bad. Perhaps a reasonable balance would be to see if the Shop will do a quick site visit to see, hear, and perhaps drive the car and give you an immediate report? This would not be as good as a full PPI, but would at least given you some feedback as to the basic feel of the car and if it has some immediate needs...

Cheers,

Sam

15. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Quick reality check..a guy outbid me and I have decided not to go further. The bidder has bid 24 times on triumph, maseratis, ferrari and BMW in the last 24 hrs... and he has a 6 feedback resulting in 0%... the guy is obviously a clown and should be not be allowed to bid...I wouldn't despair on the situation as I am the only real bidder at this point. Contact the seller give him the info (include my bidding history - and that I won't do a second chance offer) and tell him that you are a serious buyer and want to lock the car down at $29K with a $500 refundable deposit, I tell him that if it isn't as presented, you walk and get the money back. BTW, none of his other bidders are "real", virtually not bidding history and low feedback... maybe the guy that bid $24K, but that's it.

16. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    There was another eBay car recently that was bid up hugely at the beginning then the bidding died. Maybe this will be another, i.e., the bidding will die for the next six days. I would still go through with the PPI. If the bidding on this car continues into the 30s, that's too much to pay without a PPI. Nearly all the best cars that go in private sales go for the mid to high 30s. So if you're going to be in that price range there will be other cars just as good or better, for you to choose from.

17. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks to all ,Sam, 180 and others; yeah as much as I would love to have this car I am not going to get ahead of the checklist,i.e a PPI! We all know that when we let emotions get in the way it usually ends in a mistake. Every car I ever bought followed the same path, talk, review records, etc PPI and then negotiate, and honestly I have never been burned to the point I was sorry I bought the car so I will let things ride out.

PS I did send Peter an email thru ebay tonight and asked him if he was going to help me get the PPI done as I was watching the auction; at least he knows I am still out there! Doc

18. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

if you plan to negotiate on this car...you will lose it. peter is a very good guy and knows a good car when he sees it. if he has represented this is a good car and a good value, if you snooze you will looze :)

good luck and I hope if you are serious, you will get to business and take that cool 5 sp home to the a t l.

19. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    On this one i would not negotiate but pay full asking; if it's as nice as it appears to be someone else will pay and for a $1000 or so it's not worth messing around; I just need the opportunity to get the PPi done....Doc

PS as of 9:30AM this morning he has NOt replied to my ebay message.........

20. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...ebay is not the best means of communication, the seller probably has received tons of emails (many from tire kickers), best is to ask for a number to call and coordinate directly.

21. Santos

Santos Rookie

Oct 27, 2012
    New York, NY
    #46 Santos, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    It has been sold, leider.

I saw it yesterday. No time to think - so I missed the boat!

The mechanicals seemed tight. Motor was clean and sounded perfect. No oil underneath. Clutch was nicely weighted. Brakes were all good. Headlights worked.

The problem was the A/C was out, the blower motor(s?) were out, no defrost, no hot air no cold air, no radio...

The leather looked pretty good, not much life left in the driver's armrest and seat. Dash top vent pod seemed like it wasn't fitting well.

Also it was resprayed, no idea if it was the original color.

22. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    Congratulations Santos...very, very well bought at the asking price !

Doc, I'm sorry you missed out on a car that you seemed very serious about, but your plan was solid and you did the right thing.

23. Santos

Santos Rookie

Oct 27, 2012
    New York, NY
    Sorry I was unclear. I had been first to see it but I did not make the right choice. I waited. I was told when I made the decision to purchase that it had been sold last night.

I do not know who purchased it.

24. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    oh, I'm sorry I misunderstood...

25. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    "The problem was the A/C was out, the blower motor(s?) were out, no defrost, no hot air no cold air, no radio..."

An electrical gremlin. Hope it's just a fuse or relay. Anyway, good luck with what appears to be a fine example. Oh, you did buy it ....?