Hope for the TR market! Mecum Sale | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Hope for the TR market! Mecum Sale

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jlonmark, Nov 24, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime

:) :) :)

2. RedFlyer512TR

RedFlyer512TR Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    #27 RedFlyer512TR, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I too am impressed by the purchase of a 53,5 512TR! I bought mine Aug of 2012 for $66 plus tax of 10k. It had 39,700 on the clock and now has close to 46,000. I know the car value won't fall below my purchase price regardless of how much I drive it.

Besides, TR in 512TR stands for Totally Reliable! My last trip of 2,800 miles didn't find any new gremlins at all.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #28 ferralc, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    Your purchase was last year, mine was 5 years ago, your car looks really good and in a more desirable and marketable color than mine (yellow) the 53.5 did not include taxes and did not have any problems but the owner decided to go to his next project and he had been trying for a while to sell it with no success, I think your experience proves my point, you can get a really nice car like yours nowadays without breaking the bank. I am relieved someone like you can come and share his story without insulting around, unlike others that I just decided to ignore, I have read in somebody's signature "life is too short for slow cars or cheap wine" I will add Greg King's quote
    Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    well said :) - all over the world the same :(

5. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #30 ferralc, Jan 25, 2014
    This is a more normal price of a testarossa at an auction, not as nice as the one sold at Anaheim, but well priced for an auction, as I said before the seller at Anaheim got really lucky when his car got in a bidding war filled by ego and booze.
    73k was way too much, he wanted to net 50k, and this one net around 35.7k

6. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Really? "$39k" a normal price for a TR? You sure know the TR market.

7. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Don Johnson's personal silver 89 was a no sale today at $50k today.

8. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

No, an auction price, that is different, where you buy a car as is, with no PPI involved, no history not service records (but a clean carfax as mentioned) the car can break as soon as you buy it, and if your car is not a classic (yet) like testarossas are right now, it is the last resort for sellers, when they decided to sell their cars at auctions is because they already tried to sell them on their own and they failed, otherwise why would you pay 7% commission + entry fees that you will lose regardless you sell it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #34 ferralc, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014

That is different, because it belonged to Don Johnson there is a premium and the car did not reach the reserve price set by the seller.
    And that proves my point even more, if Don Johnson's personal car didn't get bids for more of 50k how the unknown Anaheim testarossa was sold at 73k? A classic example of ego+booze in a bidding war.
    Maybe that testarossa should have been sold at 50k (like the seller intended) and the don Johnson's car been sold at 73k just because was owned by him.

10. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Well, how are those documented others than anecdotally?

11. Testarossa1

Testarossa1 Karting

Jun 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    #36 Testarossa1, Jan 25, 2014
    The numbers of testarossa's for sale in the UK as of 25th January is 4....
    A typical dealer price for an 89 rosso with circa 30/35k miles is £60-70k ($100k)
    The exposure of this icon in car magazines is huge and has been for the past 2/3 years - the values are climbing steadily month on month.....:)
    The price for the top car is not £1 million !!! Its POA
    Tr boy

12. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Are UK TR's solely RHD?

13. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Robbie,
    With all due respect could you please start looking for a b***h! I feel sorry for yourself everytime you post something here!
    Next year you're gonna be spilling tears all over your keyboard writing us how bad an idea it was to sell your b***h now that the value is skyrocketing and so on and so on...
    So please for your mental health...and ours, get out and go buy a TR! :D ;)

14. Testarossa1

Testarossa1 Karting

Jun 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Hi Sam
    Yes-all uk registered cars were RHD ( as far as I am aware ) total number of uk cars imported was approx 450 over the 7/8 years- I believe quite a few of these cars have been sold for export over the past 4/5 years too

Forza ferrari !!
    Tr boy

15. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Can you import a LHD TR relativity cheaply? Or does it have to be converted to RHD and another host of government requirements?

16. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    That is what I was thinking too. Robbie belongs with the TR owners. Like me, if my TR sells, I can no longer use "Testarossa Lover" screen name.

17. Testarossa1

Testarossa1 Karting

Jun 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Hi Christian
    Yes very straightforward to import (although I have not) and very few requirements too-no emission checks etc just small things such as headlamp conversions :)

Tr boy

18. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I wonder......

With the dollar to pound ratio, you guys can scoop up 'cheap' TR's from the US. Hopefully there is some sort of VAT that evens it out. Otherwise I foresee a slow shift in US based supply. I prefer our undervalued little flat 12 secret :)

19. MonoSpecchio

MonoSpecchio Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2006
    SoCal in the IE
    Another thread on this car mentioned that it was in very poor shape, reeked of cigarette smoke, and had a ton of corrosion in the engine bay. Condition was likely poorer than the 39K car. How much extra is Don Johnson's name worth, maybe $10k-20k? Not to me but someone.

Unless you saw the car's condition in person and attended the auction yourself, don't judge the $73k buyer saying he was boozed up or ego driven.

The spread you see between the 73K and the 39K car is a pretty typical spread between Testas in excellent and poor condition. They are both valid data points IMHO, and I don't think the $73k buyer necessarily overpaid.

20. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    The TR seems to be a lot of car for the dollar. The only thing that scares me is that even if I bought a nice one for $50k, I have been told by a couple of TR owners that you can drop another $25k in the blink of an eye if you actually are ballsy enough to drive it more than 5,000 per year. That scares the heck out of me.

21. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

Don Johnson's name doesn't mean anything to me either but for some people it does.
    Why I believe the 73k buyer overpaid is because the seller wanted to net 50k and if he decided to sell his car at an auction is because he had failed to sell it on his own and by doing so he was facing the risk of a no sale and bye bye entry fee (just like the Don Johnson's).
    I am not saying there are no flawless testarossas out there worth 70k or even way more than that, but those cars are not (usually) sold at auctions, where you buy a car "as is".
    How many of you purchased their cars without a proper PPI just taking the seller's word? Unless you knew the seller and his reputation preceded him (like many members of this forum) it is really risky.

22. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Service is about 10K every 5 years. I have had mine going on 8 years this August. 20 majors, take out my list of wants not needs and I have spent around 30K in 8 years in maint.

23. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Hopefully many people see this thread and drive down the Testarossa prices to 25 grand ...I would so relish that for the next 10 yrs....that's how long it would take to beat the hell of a decent one to being a scrap car.

24. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I'm hooked for life brother. Lol.

25. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Tears have already flowed. Lol. Appreciate the concern. Lol.

R