80 400i 5-spd in Connecticut | FerrariChat

80 400i 5-spd in Connecticut

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by philS, Jan 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. philS

philS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Phil
  2. Santos

Santos Rookie

Oct 27, 2012
    New York, NY
    Wow, beautiful! Thanks for the link.

3. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    For anyone looking for a 400i and passing on them because they aren't 5 spd equipped, this looks like a good one. Still, it does need some work on the interior.

4. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for posting this one; like the color, trying to get a PPi with all the weather coming there. Spoke to Bill Pollard at Autosport down the street and Peter at Forza; both have great reputations! Doc

5. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Of course Peter is Forza and he has a very good reputation. Bill Pollard is one of the top Ferrari mechanics around for the older cars and his shop just happens to be in the same industrial park as Forza. Right on Rt 7 in Gaylordsville, about 1/2 hour north of Danbury and on the way to Lime Rock.

If this car checks out, it looks pretty good to me. I like the darker red, I'm not sure if it is the same as Rosso Nearco, but it looks close. The very first 400i 5 speed that I looked at was Ben Kao's Rosso Nearco with a black interior with a Tubi exhaust. Nice car, his asking price at the time was too high.

Funny, my database has the vin ending in "3" and not "5" from when it was last for sale in 2000. I could have made a typo back then, it wouldn't be the first time!

6. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    I suspect that if the PPI turns out positive that won't be around much longer.
    Appears to be very good buying wherever you are in Ferrariland!

7. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Spoke to Bill at length, very giving of his time. Peter was also very cordial but he did not want to take a deposit in case someone came in and just wanted to "buy" and the car was tied up which I get. He did of course tell me I was doing the right thing with the PPI but did not want to lock himself out of a potential deal...I think anyone coming to look at a car this weekend must really want it,and the odds are slim especially on an old Ferrari but maybe there is another nut out there just like me! Doc

8. Santos

Santos Rookie

Oct 27, 2012
    New York, NY
    There are always plenty of nuts around!

9. tajaro

tajaro Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Gulfport Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik V
    It's a Ferrari and not a single pic of the engine? Duh... OK- lots of pages behind there...

10. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Good luck with the PPI dogdoc97, I hope this one fit your need. Look better than the blue one.

11. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    We all know it needs a redo on the interior and Peter pointed out a crack on the dash wood or whatever it is...so anyone want to guess what to offer off the asking price of $29K NOT including the PPI; i.e. what might the cost of a new interior alone cost, Italian leather, leather but not Italian, etc, $5K? Doc

12. MonoSpecchio

MonoSpecchio Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2006
    SoCal in the IE
    I think the interior would look plenty good enough for a driver with about $300 worth of Leatherique products, including their crack filler. Good luck with the purchase...stunning color!

13. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, lots of engine pictures from all angles except underneath in the 5 pages of pictures with 148 photos. The little page arrows weren't that obvious to see but Peter has posted more photos than nearly any other car dealer would have.

The leather interior is tough to judge without seeing it in person. There is a lot of leather spread across four seats, the headliner, the dash, the door panels etc. There are no "leather seating surfaces" here where the only leather is on the front faces of the seats, this is the real deal, all leather everywhere folks! Looking at it briefly, most of the leather looks fine and the main areas of concern are the front seats. Other areas to check are the dash up under the windshield where shrinkage from the sun is common and also the leading edge of the binnacle over the speedo/tach where it can get nicked up by people wearing big class rings as the clearance with the top of the steering wheel is tight. Don't forget that this car is 34 years old now.

14. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    looks like a great car..if i wasn't so long old sports cars in need of work i'd buy it!! i don't think you can buy anything Ferrari for 29 grand? Dino tool sets are 10 grand…go figure. If you are handy and can do some work yourself…this looks like a fine car!

15. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I doubt I can do any of it myself but I do know someone to help me; and the independent Ferrari tech in town is about 7 miles from me; and several guys I know that use him say his rates and approaches to problems are more practical and lower than the dealer...let's see what the PPi tells us and then negotiate from there, Doc

16. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Peter will get very close to the asking price on this. I asked him about trading my 400iA on Thursday but we didn't get to a deal. If you want a 400i 5-speed I'd just go for it before someone beats you to it. I'm sure Bill would know of any major issues and would have told you.

17. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I bought my 308 from Peter in December '07 and Bill did the PPI. Both good guys to work with and they're not a tag team to sell cars. Bill will give Peter's cars the objective treatment and if needed recommend against buying - he did this on a 330 2+2 I was thinking of buying from Peter.

18. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    fyi, car is now listed on ebay. I couldn't copy the link for some reason.

19. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I really would like this car based on the pictures and history. I am thinking Peter must know it's a quick seller otherwise why would he not let me send him a deposit.

If it's gone its gone; I am at the mercy of the weather and he and Bill Pollard getting the car to the shop for a PPI. Doc

20. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    My $0.04 are (1) don't be stampeded into buying one of these cars. Yes, it is possible that you'll end up regetting the one that got away. But it's far more common that these cars sit unsold for long periods of time. (2) I believe $10,000-$15,000 is the realistic price range to reupholster. ( I believe Brettsky -- a 400i pro and an Fchat member -- has mentioned $15,000 as the cost of a full interior reupholster.) As with all restoration projects, you can't improve one area without making its surroundings look all the more worn and needy. Applying this to a 400i interior, to replace the worn seating surfaces of the front seats, or even to reupholster both seats in their entirety, would create a stark mismatch with the door panels, the rear seats, etc. Re-doing every tan leather piece is the only way to avoid this. Well there's also the option to dye the entire interior the same color, but that is a half-way measure. Cheap, but not "right." So I would budget $10,000 to $15,000 as the price to do it right.

21. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I will just have to see if I become the owner what it is going to take to make it acceptable to my standards.......... Doc

22. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    The color appears to be the same as my car's original color. It was repainted a very close match but not the original color. There are a few places left unpainted and it took me a long time to find them all. When it was painted they wiped off the paint code sticker in the trunk. I did some research first year I had the car and I think it was originally rosso rubino or rosso metalizato.
    Ken

23. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I like it so much I was thinking of that color for another car of mine, Doc

24. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    After looking more closely at the photos of the interior my standards would be met with the previously mentioned Leatherique treatment. I have also read positive things about Byron's Hyde Food. But Leatherique has a very good following in the old car hobby. The first treatment with the basic two-part Leatherique combo really made a big difference on my '83.

25. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I agree. Take your time. I hate the rushing with PPIs and eBay baloney. These cars come out of the woodwork all the time. Having said that, it is a nice car! Best of luck!