Here's a strange craigslist post. Claims to have a 1959 Ferrari GT long chassis | FerrariChat

Here's a strange craigslist post. Claims to have a 1959 Ferrari GT long chassis

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by roadracer311, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/3345866278.html

I don't know anything about it, but thought that folks here would know what to make of it, or know the right home for it. Again, I don't know the person who posted. Could be a scam, could be legit.

The entire text of the ad is below. No price in his ad.

"ORIGINAL 1959 Ferrari GT long chassis. Extremely RARE. For more info call Tom (415) 312-5271. "

2. 4SURE

4SURE Rookie

Sep 23, 2010
    SF CA
    Full Name:
    Christensen
    #2 4SURE, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is more information:

"Available today is an extremely rare 1959 Ferrari chassis. The race now begins for interested parties to check it out and carefully do their research. We can help as we have a small serial number database and multiple books of serial numbers to verify against, including "Ferrari Serial Numbers Part I and II" by Hilary A. Raab, Jr. If you don't already know, odd-numbers are normally reserved for the Ferrari street cars. Even numbers are found on the Ferrari race cars. For additional details, we suggest you talk directly to the seller, Tom at (415) 312-5271. Photos are available or viewing can be done at Fog City Storage, 1333 Yosemite Ave, San Francisco, CA 94124. The price is $10,000 or highest/best offer plus a tip to us. We wish you the best of luck!"

http://www.cafespa.com/full_story.php?news=000032&title=Rare-1959-Ferrari-Chassis-For-Sale&comment=on&f=25&t=25

Note: CAFE SpA is not selling this. Only found it on Craigslist. Talked to the owner on the phone. He sent photos and info. Good luck dealing with this character!

Christensen
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Sounds like Harry Pappas remains.

4. 4SURE

4SURE Rookie

Sep 23, 2010
    SF CA
    Full Name:
    Christensen
    #4 4SURE, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Tom. Congrats on the Chasing Classic Cars segment!

The seller was originally excited for the help to advertise it online. We got the photos and wrote the text last night. Story was posted on the www.cafespa.com website. He was getting "flooded with calls" and didn’t have time this afternoon to give me a quick update on how it was going.

Some additional details:

1. The chassis is cut in half.
    2. He has not seen and can’t find the serial numbers. (doesn’t mean they don’t exist.)
    3. Was stored in a large container with other parts and two rusty Porsches.
    4. The storage location went out of business and closed its doors not too long ago.

It’s in Bayview/Hunters Point (an industrial area). A post on Yelp says “Anyone with items stored on the property needs to remove their items immediately.”

5. He (supposedly) has a friend with another chassis! Who also has old Ferrari engines.
    6. The seller knows little about vintage Ferraris and worked as a construction worker.
    7. Can’t find any paperwork or bill of sale.
    8. Wants to get rid of it quickly as he could use the cash.

Christensen

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    harry was cool and unique. is he still with us, or?
    ed

6. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    hard for me to buy it if the guy doesn't call me back, for 2 days

sent texts also

I assume I am qualified

Tom
    949 378 8405

7. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Harry did noone any favors.

He is/was nuts.

8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ harry always treated me well, but, yes, he was out there.
    Is he still kickin? He had many health issues.
    Ed

9. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Didn't Tom Meade have a couple of chassis and other parts stolen a couple of years ago? Does this one fit the description by chance?

Regards,

Art S.

10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ very doubtful the same chassis. This chassis has been on the market for a number of yrs. In plain sight.
    Ed

11. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Ah, my mistake, I thought it had been 'recently discovered'.

Regards,

Art S.

12. AEH

AEH Rookie

Dec 6, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew Happ
    Interesting,

I worked at a Ducati dealership in San Francisco about ten years ago. One day I met a fellow who was buying some parts for his vintage Ducati. Struck up a conversation, he said he owned a Cal Spider and was also working on a replica of a 250 Testa Rossa. He said he had a few old Porsches and a 300SL Mercedes as well. I only met him once and don't recall much else other than that. A connection maybe?

-AEH

13. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    What 1959 Ferrari can this be the chassis for?

14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    @aeh
    Sounds like you met Harry. He wanted to sell me a testarosa replica. He even had the body in his garage.
    Ed

15. HARRY PAPPAS

HARRY PAPPAS Rookie

Feb 17, 2013
    A writ for my friend, Tom Shaughnessy . Tom, hope all is well with you and your family!!! Yes, I was familiar with this chassis some ten years past. FOR ALL YOU OUT THERE...1963 250GTE chassis cut in half. Knowledge of the ad , came to me last night., while browsing the internet. Most people dream of the wonderful decades i have experienced in the world of Ferrari's. And yes i still have my inventory of harley's and ferrari's. Thank you Tom for the wonder smile you gave to me this evening after reading your writ

16. harrysfrend

harrysfrend Rookie

Jan 23, 2014
    I wish to inform you of harry' pappas's passing last week. He was in a coma after being involved in an accident on his harley here in san francisco. He lived for a day but comatosed.. suffering grave head trauma. They put harry on life support after he died so that his organs can go to those who need them. He was an organ donor.. our friend harry.. truly cool and unique.. RIP.

17. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Thanks for taking the time to locate this thread and let us know. Condolences on the loss of your friend.

RIP

18. harrysfrend

harrysfrend Rookie

Jan 23, 2014
  19. harrysfrend

harrysfrend Rookie

Jan 23, 2014
  20. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
  21. RichWilliams

RichWilliams Rookie

Jun 21, 2015
    Harry hs gone down in history in my mind. Yes he was a bit out there at times but that is what made Harry so special. I painted many Ferraris, Harleys and a MBZ convertible. Those who didn't work with him may have other impressions but Harry's attention to detail was truly inspiring as some here may know. I recognized a few names here and know you only through Harry's speaking of you.

I just found out that he passed away and am deeply saddened. You are missed Harry. I sure wish I had picked up all the pictures of those cars we did together.

22. harrysfrend

harrysfrend Rookie

Jan 23, 2014
    Harry died in a motorcycle accident (2014) in San Francisco.. suffering head trauma.. RIP harry... our friend..

23. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    How do I learn more about his past with Ferraris?

24. harrysfrend

harrysfrend Rookie

Jan 23, 2014
    He used to own a place in san francisco, 1986-1989 at 1553 bush street, Auto Scuderia.. (his brother... Billy just told me)... (Billy was with him when he had the Ferari shop.. also Billy has his own shop now called Mobil Restoration).. (and is quite busy)