Ferrari battery charging destroys home -- check those chargers gentlemen | FerrariChat

Ferrari battery charging destroys home -- check those chargers gentlemen

Discussion in 'Canada' started by crazy canuck, Jan 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    CBCNews.ca Mobile

From today's news

Can't tell what kind of f it is from the video,

But hope it didn't belong to someone here

2. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    That's why I never want to leave the charger plugged to the car. I will charge until full, usually over night, and unplug it. Charge again in about 3-4 weeks.

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Horrible, at least no loss of life involved.

Poor family, and neighbors.

This owner is beside himself to no end.

4. Zxgarage

Zxgarage Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2011
    MD/ DC area
    Full Name:
    Zack
  5. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    From the cbc website:

"Ferrari battery charge fire destroys B.C. luxury homeExclusivity comes with a cost: No hydrants available to fight fire in waterfront neighbourhood
    Jan 18, 2014 9:14 PM PT

A multimillion-dollar home in an exclusive B.C. waterfront community between West Vancouver and Lions Bay was destroyed after a fire broke out in the garage, where the homeowner left his Ferrari's battery charging.

No one was home when the fire started, but neighbours in Strachan Point said the doors of the garage suddenly blew out at around 11 p.m. PT on Friday night.

Firefighters said they could do little to save the home due to a lack of water access — there are no fire hydrants in the 17-home unincorporated community.

"There's no water supply in this community so we weren't letting our people go into the building," said Lions Bay Fire Chief Bob Allen.

The Lions Bay Fire Rescue Department brought almost 4,000 litres of of water in its two trucks and the West Vancouver Fire Department brought another 4,000 litres, but it was only enough to stop the flames from spreading to nearby homes.

"We could have saved the home if we had water down there, proper water down there," said Lions Bay firefighter John Friesen.

Firefighters ended up pumping water from the ocean, and a Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services fireboat also responded, pumping water from Howe Sound and helping to contain and put out the fire.

Strachan Point Estates pays no municipal taxes and has looked after itself much like a strata since 1971, which means that if there is a fire, homeowners must pay the fire departments that respond.

It was the community's first major fire, but fire officials estimate the cost for the response could exceed $100,000.

Map: Strachan Point Road, Howe Sound, B.C."

6. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    #6 DenisC, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Stupid, Don`t all trucks have the capability of pumping 'lake/pond/ocean' water, the house was right on the water,

usually even the smallest of country fire departments have those rigid pipes on the side for that specific purpose. Sounds political to me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    They pumped water from the ocean, and a fireboat was there as well.

8. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    #8 DenisC, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    If you look at the CBC report and read the article, Yes they did use ocean water, but only later when the house was a lost. the pumper trucks were used to save neighbouring houses

9. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    so the question remains, was it the factory supplied charger or aftermarket?

a late friend of mine had a 430 Spider. He found the charger supplied by Ferrari with the car absolute garbage, was hardwired in and would not charge the car.

He purchased 2 chargers from - wait for it ----- Cdn Tire, and I hardwired one into the 430 and one into his wifes Mazdaspeed Miata. He had no further charging issues with the Cdn Tire chargers. In fact, when he put up the car for consignment at FoO prior to his passing last year, even the dealership used his charger.

So I'm wondering if the owner of this burnt house and car had the factory supplied or an aftermarket charger?

Chris

10. Zxgarage

Zxgarage Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2011
    MD/ DC area
    Full Name:
    Zack
    Weird story... hard to swallow the whole enchilada.

11. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Global News in their report state it was a replica (article title says "model", but TV report says "replica") Ferrari:

Model Ferrari blamed in fire that destroyed waterfront mansion in Lions Bay | Globalnews.ca

Real or fake, be very careful when using battery chargers. When I charge my 308 after it sits for a couple of weeks, I NEVER leave the home. In fact, usually I'm working in the garage on something else while it's charging. Talking with a Lamborghini owner a couple of years ago, something happened with his charger (or the battery itself), that the battery started to smoke and start spilling the acid out, nearly causing a fire...

Nothing fishy about the area or politics. There are many areas surrounding Metro Vancouver where people live year-round that are unincorporated.

12. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Would the battery start smoking due to overcharging ?

Cause I think most of the chargers have those auto shutoffs don't they ?

But if they didn't could this cause a fire ?

13. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
  14. PbPedis

PbPedis Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I wonder how many times this has occurred. Only having the thing on when you're at home keeping an eye on the car kind of defeats the purpose of having it IMO. Mine is on 24/7 all winter, every winter.

15. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Ok, so there's a positive note to this story...the world has one less fake Ferrari. Perfect!

16. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    So a Fiero based Ferrari AND a Golf based Audi were both BBQ'd! I'd start looking for the replica fire hydrants. :)

17. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    #17 bernardo66, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've had mine for years now, no issues!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I have the full automatic intelligent model. I love it. It restore a sulfated battery in some case. It stop and start automatically when the battery need it. It tell you if the battery is defective with codes. Great buy.

19. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Hope his fake ferrari/fiero was insured. My ICBC rep warned me of the scenario; if the car did NOT have storage insurance, and decided to burn the house down - homeowner's insurance does not cover the house damages.

20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No loss of life is the main concern.

21. taz4432

taz4432 Rookie

Jan 21, 2014
    Toronto/Detroit
    Full Name:
    Salomon
    People knock CT products but this is one of them that I can say hasn't failed me in many years of use - I've got an older one like the one pictured above and then one of the new 'intelligent' ones which is actually quite fancy relative to the old one.

The best part is the 'start' feature for those -40 days when our diesel truck just doesn't wanna start.

22. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    C-tek chargers are the way to go and they are sold at Canadain Tire. As for getting water to that fire....that takes time as you have to get the truck within 10 feet or so of water without losing the truck and get the hard suction hose in. Then they had to relay pump to the fire. Takes too much time and house is gone.

23. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    Who lives in a multimillion $ waterfront house and drives a fake Ferrari? And how many fake Rolexes did he loose in the fire? These are the questions that keep me up at night.

24. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Good thing no lives were lost or there might have been some fake boobs lost.

25. YVR_Schumi

YVR_Schumi Karting

May 20, 2012
    British Columbia
    Funny, a lot of local friends actually made the opposite comment when the initial story came out.. more like "why would someone with a Ferrari live in that place?" Of course like most people my friends think that Ferrari = $300k no matter what, but the implication is that (sadly) $2M for a detached house in Vancouver doesn't buy you much.

You'll likely find a lot more (real :)) F-cars in condo buildings or houses well north of $2M.