Rebuild of 400I Chassis 40877 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Rebuild of 400I Chassis 40877

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Al Campbell, Dec 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    Thanks Mike.
    I purchased one of the wiring manuals from ebay for $120. I will keep an eye out for the Automatic transmission one. If I can get it for a similar price it will be good but 300 is a bit much.

Cheers Al

2. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Al
    $120 is a reasonable price for the wiring manual. I probably wouldn't bother with the auto gearbox manual for $300 either, the gearbox is essentially a GM TH 400 with an extension housing to mate with the torque tube and info on the TH400 gearbox is available from many sources.

I'd imagine the removal would be similar to the manual gearbox - start at the diff and work forwards. :)

M

3. erwin123

erwin123 Karting

Jan 20, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Erwin
    Al, I have got the automatic transmission manual stored in my Google drive, it's public shared so you can download it:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8teqGKDb3gkSllXSU5Zcno2X0k&usp=sharing

Happy reading,

Erwin

4. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    erwin123, that is one of the great first posts in Ferrarichat history. I love your Google Drive library. Thanks for sharing.

5. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
  6. theobordeaux

theobordeaux Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    Welcome Erwin123, and thank you for your documentation, I remind you that the Forum of European Ferrari 400 Club also includes the technical documentation dedicated to the 400 series. This documentation is in English, Italian and French. If you wish to register on the forum to download thank you for telling me, I blocked the entry because momentarily spam.

technical documentation is here :

Forum - Documentations Techniques - Technical Documentation

7. Al Campbell

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    #32 Al Campbell, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. GreggG

GreggG Karting

Jul 14, 2008
    New Jersey
    Hey Theo, I'd like to register and gain access to the club's technical documentation. For whatever reason, my attempts to register have been unsuccessful. Maybe you can PM me and assist?

9. ozmike

ozmike Rookie

May 29, 2010
    Australia
    Hi Al, I have the history of your car. PM me.

10. theobordeaux

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    Ok GreggG I open registration forum of the European Ferrari 400 Club from Friday 8 am (NJ time) until Saturday evening. If you have a problem send me a PM.

11. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    to register on your forum and my forum but computer said it did not exist

12. theobordeaux

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    #37 theobordeaux, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    Here's the link to the forum, I just opened registrations. If you have a problem with registration thank you to inform me by MP

Forum

Forum - Registration Agreement

13. theobordeaux

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    Ewin123, GreggG, you're approved

Bundas what's your nickname for the F400Club Forum?

14. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
  15. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Great thread, well done resurrecting a classic.

16. theobordeaux

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    I have no member SMUTZIK1, thank you register.

17. Al Campbell

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    #42 Al Campbell, Jan 18, 2014
    I separated the torque tube from the diff this morning & noticed something interesting. The main drive shaft is very magnetic. Has any one else noticed this? Should I leave it like this or de-magnetise it? Maybe it has had a couple of hits with it facing North at some stage.

Cheers Al
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    How odd. My drive shaft is out and is absolutely not magnetic.i think it takes a bit if work to magnetize steel??

19. Al Campbell

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    I pressed out the last of the rear suspension bushes from the upper & lower arms today. The smaller outer bushes all came out relatively easy but the larger inners took some work. The upper inners were not too bad as they had a small ridge on the arm around the outside of the bush so I machined up some thick wall tube to just fit over the bush & rest against the arm while in the shop press. When I got to the inners on the lower arm this ridge was almost non-existant & so I had to machine up another smaller tube & grind away some of the outer edge of the bush to get enough of an edge on the arm to work with.

I also discovered that the bushes on the outer upper arms have different sized spacers installed on the bush before it was pressed into the arms. I'm glad I marked which ones came from where.

I have purchased a small zinc electroplating kit to do the suspension arms in zink with goldbright colouring to look like the original cad coating. I can't wait for the kit to turn up so I can start playing with it.

Cheers Al

20. Al Campbell

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    #45 Al Campbell, Feb 5, 2014
  21. kaiser

kaiser Karting

Dec 17, 2011
    johannesburg
    I am restoring a 400I Automatic as well.
    I have damage to the wiring loom and wires and connectors missing, and I need to restore the wiring in the centre of the V of the engine.
    If anyone can supply the connection for:
    the two wires off the distributor,
    the wires connected to the micro switch,
    the function of the two small black "resistors"? connected to the micro switch, then I might be able to make safe progress.

Any good picture of the area would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

One additional thing. There is a pipe in the V to the left right at the back, it appears to run down behind the engine as if it is a drain? What should it connect to?

22. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Nice work on the dash. Is that fresh paint on the temp control? What did you use?

23. Al Campbell

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    I used Humbrol model paint on the temp control. The red is number 19 & the blue is number 109.
    The rest of the dash was sprayed with Wattyl Dark Mahogany/Jarrah stain & varnish. Just keep spraying on light coats until you get the colour you like. It's not original but I think it looks better than the old faded finish.

Cheers Al

24. Al Campbell

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    #49 Al Campbell, Mar 30, 2014
    I have been rebuilding some of the console switches. I checked these before re-installing into the console & they all had higher resistance through the switch than I would like so it was time to strip them down.
    To open them up the rivets were drilled out & then cut off flush on the back of the metal housing. The housing was then drilled & tapped with a 2.5mm thread so screws could be used for re-assembly.
    I have attached pictures of the insides of the four switches where you can see that the original grease is well beyond its used by date. One of the switches will need to be replaced as the high resistance contact had melted the switch to the point that one of the terminals had fallen out. The insides of the other 3 switches were thoroughly cleaned & new contact grease applied. They should be good for another 30 years now. A point to remember that even new old stock switches will be a fair age & may need this treatment before install to prevent a meltdown like the 4th switch had.

Cheers Al

25. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name: