How to destroy a Viper | FerrariChat

How to destroy a Viper

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by EarlyCat, Jan 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdp8auBPGp0]Dodge Viper destroyed # 1 - YouTube[/ame]

This will turn your stomach. 2 Vipers destroyed.

2. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Why?

One of those stupid countries where they destroy them if you're caught speeding?

3. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    WTF. This make no sense. It looks like this was in the US.

What a waste.

4. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    some kind of Chrysler training car. cant be resold

5. Ferrari Envy

Ferrari Envy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    Like the US?

6. eam3

eam3 Karting

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Ed Mendez
    I saw a picture of the '86 Corvette back in the day being crushed even though it looked immaculate. The story was that it was a GM development car (could not be sold) sent to Australia for brake development and testing. When the testing concluded, they decided to crush it as they had no further need for it and didn't want to spend the money to ship it back to the US.

7. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    It seems auto makers will build show cars without a VIN.

The MP4-12C convertible that was making its rounds at all the dealers apparently didn't have a real engine (it was a small one just for moving it around) and it was to be destroyed after making its rounds.

The sales guy told me the part about the engine which I found hard to believe but I guess it saves them money

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Unfortunately, a fair number of owners have done worse over the years.

9. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    So sad to see this happened..

10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    Reason behind the destruction of these cars..... The two that I had to destroy came from schools in the area's auto shops. Chrysler Corp removed these cars from schools across the country because 1 student supposedly stole one from a school and was killed in it. I don't know how true this stands but I can tell you that a rep from Chrysler was there to verify the destruction of this car and to make sure there was not a salvageable part left. I am unsure how many vipers are to be destroyed. I was told each state has a few or so.

11. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    that is a copy repost ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

12. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    In '98 I bought a Porsche 928 that had been donated to a local high school autoshop. ALL VIN and build marks had been forcibly removed by PCNA, to ensure the chassis would not get back onroad. We bought it for the 4V engine and mech bits. Sold on; believe it was destined to become basis of a race car. Purported to have been the Bonneville record car, but no solid confirmation came to light.

13. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Pretty common for manufacturers to destroy prototypes, not sure if this is the case here. In the ZR-1 world, there were several prototypes built in the late 80's that were destroyed. Only two of them had the widebody that would see production, and one of those was supposedly destroyed. Supposedly because it only made it part way through the crusher before someone rescued it, and now that car has been restored.

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I understand car companies help out school programs and it's a good thing but if this story is true how is it no one saw that coming?

Give them old Neons or something but giving them Vipers was just asking for trouble.

15. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i grew up in SE michigan... actually had the pleasure of getting a ride in one of those 88 body vettes with ZR1 running gear that a HS buddy dad would bring home from work.

this was the late 80's and they had gotten pretty strict on making sure everything was crushed and destroyed when testing was done.

you can thank the lawyers.........