Considering a Ferrari 458 - Some 1st Time Buyer Questions | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Considering a Ferrari 458 - Some 1st Time Buyer Questions

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by keithos27, Dec 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drjekyllmrlee

drjekyllmrlee Rookie

Jan 19, 2011
    Chicago, IL USA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I personally welcome keithos27 and hope to offer him the brotherhood of FChat. Everyone starts somewhere and not all of us receive large stock options so that to purchase a 458, we have to earn it each day. I am in medicine (as some surmised from my FChat handle) and I work toward my dream cars one day/shift at a time. I learn much from the generous and giving minds of the contributors to this forum. I thank them and welcome Keithos27. Regards.

2. dipesh.tank

dipesh.tank Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2013
    I don't see an issue with any of the questions. I will be using mine everyday but will keep it for 2-3 years and put on 8-10k miles a year. No point in keeping it garaged when it can be used everyday. I buy my cars to use them and not be garage queens

3. 458italia2014

458italia2014 Formula 3

Aug 3, 2013
    +1 I have no plans not to drive my car. Why spend 300k on a car to look at it and si it maintains more value. Ferraris are meant to be driven. Its a machine not an expensive painting. I would say from what people say the 458 can be a daily driver, I have no experience on that part since my car has not yet arrived but from my understanding there is no problem using it as a daily driver.

4. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Thank you Michael. :)

5. coralreefer

coralreefer Karting

Oct 1, 2012
    At how many ferraris did your dealer start answering your e-mails. I am on 3 now and still have never got a reply back!!!!

6. 911C4S

911C4S Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2011
    the 458 coupe is my only car, i drove it over swiss alpine passes and through many european cities like vienna, zuerich and milano. this week is monte carlo with great switchback roads in the mountains and, two days ago, a memorable drive up the col de turini, where on the last 10km there was a lot of ice on the road (i have winter tyres on the car).
    before getting the 458 i had a BMW M5 F10 and the ferrari is just as comfortable. only issues are parking worries and attention you get driving the car. and of course you have to live with the boot size.
    other than that.....a perfect DD......)))).
    peter

7. MikeA

MikeA Karting

Nov 23, 2004
    Los Gatos
    Actually, a 458 makes a great daily driver. Not a commute car, but great for a retired guy like me. Don't drive much in commute traffic, since I can schedule around it, and don't have to worry about the 'image' it would give if I drove it to work.
    Reliability wise, and even driving comfort wise, it is a great car. Leave it in auto mode and you will hit 35 mph in normal speed traffic and be surprised you are in 7th gear and never felt a shift. Leave it in Sport or Wet mode and it is quiet and you can make the drive even more comfortable by pushing the bumpy road switch (although I rarely do any of that - it's always Race, exhaust valves open, and manual shifting for me).
    I had a F430 spider for 4 1/2 years/38K miles, and it was as reliable as anything I have owned. 458 is only better.
    I expect I will keep my 458 for 5+ years and put 8K miles per year on it.

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #58 Caeruleus11, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    Heres my contribution:

1. What are some of the essential options that most people get (iPod connector, upgraded stereo, etc.)? And excluding taxes what "should" that 458 Italia cost here in the United States?

Definitely get the shields and the wheels. After that, I'd strongly advise the rear camera, it works well and I think it will be a desirable option. Beyond that its all personal preference. The front lifter is expensive but it works well and many find it gives peace of mind. Ive listened to the hi-fi- and its actually pretty good- and I think its better than what you would get for the same money after market. You'd have to spend 2-3x as much in the after market to do better and then you have to consider you are competing with road and engine noise. I think the factory system is pretty solid. The nav is another one. I like it but some say its not worth it. I think it works well enough and its integrated which I appreciate. I also like having the iPod connector but again, maybe you don't use an iPod.

The CF options are nice but expensive and you will not see much, if any of the cost when you go to sell the car. So consider the CF options carefully. Some say its overdone, some say its awesome, I say its your call.

I think the race seats are fantastic but some prefer the electric seats. They say they are more comfortable but I actually think the race seats are more comfortable and more appropriate to my idea of what a Ferrari 458 should be. I also like that you sit lower in the race seats.

Electric steering column, probably worth it if you get the electric seats. If not, Id skip this as it seems out of place with the manual race seats.

AFS lighting system gives you headlights that swivel. If you drive at night, this is worth it. If you have never had a car with a system like this, its the kind of thing you think is silly-- until you have it-- then you can't imagine how you got along without it.

Heat insulating windscreen. Some say the AC isn't quite powerful enough. I think its right on the borderline but I have the heat insulating windscreen. I'd recommend it.

Skip the factory plastic paint protection. You can have that done elsewhere and better (go figure).

Electrochromatic mirrors + homelink. Nice to have.

2. What are the annual costs associated with ownership (both in and out of warranty) for someone who drives this car daily but doesn't track it, do donuts, etc. excluding something variable like tires, gas, etc.?

Ferrari does have the maintenance program but if you look at the program, its pretty basic and if you have an ounce of mechanical sympathy, you will go beyond it. For example, you really should change the diff fluid in a new car. This program doesn't cover it (neither does anyone else's). Just making a point here. So annual costs for maintenance is probably around $1500 for all fluid changes (motor oil, brakes, diff, etc). Yes its more expensive at the Ferrari dealer than the Honda dealer. Its just how it is. Thats maintenance. Then you have wear and tear items like tires which you are likely to wear out the rears every 5-10k miles (depending on your driving style) and the fronts could be a little longer. The tires are around $350 each. Wheels are no more easy or difficult to bend than on any other high line luxury car. I think a new 458 forged wheel will be like $2k.

3. When will the 458 be replaced and would a Ferrari newbie like myself be able to get a new model right off the street at a dealership or are new models reserved for previous owners, etc.? I.E. what is the realistic timeline between today and when the new model could be obtained?

Not sure but my guess is we're ~ two years out. Yes, Ferrari dealers work the way most relationships work and if you're an existing customer, you are going to get priority. My guess is if you are ordering a new car today from a dealer then you probably could order the 458 successor late in its 2nd model year. But this is impossible to know for sure without knowing the specific dealer.

4. How long does it generally take from order to delivery on a custom car?

Probably 6-7 months if they ship the car over. If you fly it over I think you can cut out about 6 weeks.

5. Is the 458 really THAT reliable to be a daily driver/your only mode of transportation?

Yes. Its a well made car that is reliable. And I trust it to fire up every time. But to state the obvious, the summer tires will mean its of little use in the winter unless you fit winter tires to it. Also the lower ride height means you have to be extra cautious if you live in an area with flooding. But you could use it every day if your conditions permit.

6. How does the 458 compare in reliability to say a 991 Porsche 911?

Ferraris are just not made with the same long term durability considerations as a car like a 911. So as your mileage goes up you might find various suspension components need to be replaced. That could be expensive. Im not sure what the mileage limits are but its just the kind of relatively faster wearing out that other manufacturers would not allow will occur with a Ferrari. On the other hand, you get a car that is truly special and amazing to drive. There is a price to be paid to have such a sharp driving experience. So just don't be shocked when you have to replace more parts than you would have to if it were a Merc. This will really depend a lot on your roads, driving style etc. In terms of the rest of the car, they have proven to be very reliable. The motor, the AC, the window motors, etc, they all work and no problems. Also in some ways, driving the car more often than not is really a good thing for the car and you might find your car with a bunch of miles on it actually drives better than a garage queen!

7. What kind of insurance premiums do most of you pay?
    About $1500.

8. What other questions should I be asking that I haven't?
    Driving a Ferrari is a special experience and a privilege. I think you should ask if this is something you want as a daily experience. You will wear out the car faster and also there comes extra attention from others with driving a Ferrari- some of that is positive- but some of it is negative too. You might have family members who misunderstand you and then there will be the time you are just trying to get somewhere and you are filling the car up at the gas station and some guy will come up and will ask how much you paid and you just know they are making a criticism. FWIW, I usually turn around ask why that is the question they chose to ask when they could ask how amazing is the car etc. :)

Bottom line: the 458 is truly an amazing, incredible, dazzling modern super car. And you can drive it daily. Or not. If you are a car enthusiast, you will love the 458.

Now I want to go drive it!!!!!

sampelligrino likes this.
  9. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    What a great post. I am in awe.

10. jbdmd

jbdmd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Doc Jay
    Keith Welcome!

My advice is more general. Take everything here with a grain of salt. In my experience Fchat is a knowledgeable and varied group with some intense and sometimes extreme view points. You are as likely to get opinions which you find helpful as you are those that may well offend you. It sounds like a 458 is at least an option for you. At the end of the day, if you get one you're unlikely to regret the purchase. I loved my 360 Spider and for the 3 days I've had it, I find my 458 exceptional.

Best of luck homie

Doc Jay

11. medlaw

medlaw Karting

Apr 13, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mike W
    Great Response!

12. DoctorWill

DoctorWill Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2010
    Playa Vista
    Full Name:
    Will
    You won't regret getting a 458. It brings a big grin on my face every time I drive it. At the end if the drive, everything seems alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    That is a great responseand I am still giggling.

Personally I would buy a 911 if it is a daily driver. I think the 458 would be okay the problem is the expense to repair it. I had a very small scratch on my 458 and it cost me $7K, ouch! The 911 are great cars even if you do not get a twin turbo.

The other car you may look at is the Maserati MC. They sound and drive great. Not quite a 458 but less expensive to buy. In fact I am looking into buying one. It may fall through we will see.

Best

Lee

14. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'll bet that 90% plus would rank this as their number one issue. My concerns border on the paranoid whenever hitting the streets. It is not that I can't afford repairs, it is a feeling akin to someone hurting one of my children. Best

15. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Spot on. Except in my case I cross the border into paranoia.

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Same thing here.

17. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I think the 458 would be a no brainer to use everyday, if one wants too. They are terrific cars.

18. DoctorWill

DoctorWill Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2010
    Playa Vista
    Full Name:
    Will
    Lol, I've been lusting over the Maserati MC as well! Just love the way the car sounds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    FYI, placed a deposit down on a MY 15 458 Spider last weekend. It'll be my DD. :)

20. :Marc

:Marc Karting

Nov 9, 2007
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I have had a vast amount of cars over the past 7 years and all of them were my DDs. Last summer it seemed to be raining almost daily so I purchased a Jeep Wrangler 4 door to accompany my R8 V10 Spider. I now have the 458 + Jeep and I try to use the 458 as much as possible 3-4x a week or so. I daily drove a Turbo S Cab, C2S Cab, GT3, GTR Etc just to name a few and they were great, the 458 can be used daily it is juts not conveintent especially to run errands start and stop etc. reliability is not an issue

21. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    For those considering a Maserati , drive one. I own a GranTurisimo , actually my wife wanted it for her car. My problem is two fold, I can never adjust the front seat to my liking (I am 5'-11" and 175, so nothing challenging) and although the exhaust note is nice, the noise is signficantly disproportionate to the power. By contrast, power/sound match of my 458 is as it should be. Best

22. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Congrats: Keith - I like your style.

Actions speak louder than words: and sometimes there are a lot of words and hot air on this site!!!

Enjoy the wait its all part of the fun.