Looking for red 6spd 360 - any out there? | FerrariChat

Looking for red 6spd 360 - any out there?

Discussion in '360/430' started by VS70, Jan 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VS70

VS70 Rookie

Jan 4, 2014
    usa
    #1 VS70, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
  2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    There is a guy in the classified that can convert a paddle shift car to a stick. I think its about ~5K so if you find the perfect F1 trans car this is an option that I would consider.

3. spEYEdr

spEYEdr Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2007
    LA - City of Angels
    It took me a year to find the right car. And that was 7 years ago when I had to pay through the nose to get it.

Red/tan, stick, shields, tubi exhaust, red calipers, challenge grills, factory modular wheels, power daytonas, upgraded factory hifi, low miles, and a spider. And now that I've lost $100k on depreciation on the car, I may as well keep it.

Be patient and keep looking. It may take a while to find the right car.

I'm looking for two cars now (e92 M3 stick and an F430 coupe stick) and I'm giving myself a timeline of a year.

4. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You took the words right out of my mouth.
    I searched, every day, for one year to find my car. Red/Tan fully loaded 6-speed. The only reason I was able to snag it was because several people passed on it because it had some issues:
    1. Scuff on the glovebox leather.
    2. Dented airbox covers.
    3. A gouge in the center console.
    4. A gouge in the passenger side interior door handle.

I bought the car, had Franzini brothers re-do the glovebox leather, picked up some new airbox covers, purchased a door handle and installed it myself, and sent the center console to Premier to be repainted. Voila! Perfect car.

Hang in there and keep searching.

5. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
  6. spieler

spieler Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2012
    miami florida
    Different experience here , i bought last week my 2003 red spider rosso corsa/ black manual
    with all the right options : electric daytona seats, shields, capristo exhaust , 3m protection, hifi
    south of 100k usd with only 8200 miles without loooking for it lol because i was looking for a 430......

7. VS70

VS70 Rookie

Jan 4, 2014
    usa
    Thanks for the advice, all, and for the help. Still looking, so keep sending cars my way if you find a good one.

This is a great one -- thanks. Strong pricing, but obviously an excellent car.

8. Aorta

Aorta Karting

Nov 17, 2013
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jared
    1st post....I just purchased my 1st F-Car (being shipped as we speak), a red/tan 360 coupe, 6sp MT, Capristo exhaust, shields, power seats w/red piping, stock wheels w/brand new Michelins, challenge grill, red calipers and 20k mi....very excited. BUT, it took me almost 9 months to find the right car...There were 1-2 others that were "right" but they got snapped up before I could get to them...SO the moral is, keep looking, the right car/deal will present itself...but it takes patience sometimes...

Btw, thx f-chat, you've been a great resource on what to look for!

9. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Waiting a year for the right car to come along? You guys have a lot more patience than me! Once I started seriously considering buying a car, I only made it a few weeks before pulling the trigger. #instantgratification

10. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Waiting for a year to find a car is silly. That is a wasted year (not driving a Ferrari) you will never get back in life. I hardly doubt that at the end of your life you will think back "thank God I spent a year driving my Toyota while searching (in vain) for the perfect Ferrari to match the vision in my head."
    Find a Ferrari now, drive it spiritedly and passionately, for not one more minute will you buy in life. Life is too short to wait. You could be dead tomorrow. Don't be foolish:)

11. anconbrat

anconbrat Karting

Jul 9, 2011
    East central Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Morton
    VS70...The 360 at SwitchCars is exceptional, with an exceptional price. If you're looking for an outstanding example of a 360, this car is worth investigating. Makes my 360 (Rosso Corsa over tan with 6 speed) look like it needs help. Certainly be patient, but you should follow up on this beauty. Happy search!

Don M.

12. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It took me 18 months to find my 456M. Ended up with one of only fifteen in North America that is red. Good things come to those who wait.

This is good to know. I'm also looking for a 360 stick, but now if I find an F1 with the options I want, I can keep this in the back of my mind. BTW, this means that if your F1 actuator fails, converting it to a stick would be less than half the price of repairing the transmission! So, I'd probably just leave it an F1 unless the transmission melted down.

Cheers,

Geo

13. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    You are missing my point. Life is short. Buy a car now...drive it. When you find your dream car...buy it and sell the old one. You could have driven another Ferrari (whilst looking for your dream 456M car) during that 18 months. I guarantee that you wont get that time back. In other words...TIME waits for no one! Don't waste it. Buy another car to drive and enjoy while you look for your dream combination. Time=precious. Ferrari=car. Not to be interchanged with one another!!!
    You are born naked and you will die naked...you will take with you NOTHING...not even your precious Ferrari. Don't waste a year and a half looking when you could be driving!!! Cheers!

14. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    P.S. That 360 Spider at the top of this thread looks incredible. I would jump on that beast if I hadn't already just bought a 430 Spider 6 Speed MT! You can always negotiate a bit on the price. What you don't pay upfront with the price of admission, you may be more sorry later buying a cheaper car. A well documented, well sorted car is worth every penny!

15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That is a nicely optioned, very low miles car, and it is an 2004. It wouldn't surprise me if it got $90-95K. Sorry if this sounds antagonistic but if you aren't contacting them to discuss the car you aren't a serious buyer.

Why is it that the "buyers" always come with a long list of wants and expect to have a perfect car for rock bottom pricing? They then wait two years or more, if they ever buy, as if searching forever is a badge of honor. Only when the depreciation gets the market closer to them they may finally make a move on a lesser car than they passed on to begin with. I submit that they aren't buyers. As Dave and Treviso noted, buyers find a car and make a move, they don't shop forever.

G. Pepper, The above probably doesn't apply to you. I suspect that you didn't pass on multiple cars that matched your want list. You also probably called on every car that looked like a match. You didn't look at the posted price and say "nah, I will wait longer for a better match."

16. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    "I've been searching for the perfect 360 for 3 years now"
    -translation: I manage to talk myself out of every car I find or I'm in love with the idea that I'm trying to buy a Ferrari but can't get myself to commit, I'm definitely not serious.

"I've been out driving today"
    -translation: I searched until I found a car that I liked (color and tranny) despite the one of two flaws that I fixed, and I've been out driving it today.

17. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    You don't lose out on a great car over $5K...Especially a Ferrari. You just have to know that this is a very expensive hobby and, financially, a losing proposition from the word go. You don't buy these cars for any other reason than the passion of owning and driving the world's most exclusive brand of cars. You are buying that feeling that you get everytime you start the car and begin to roll down the street in one of the world's greatest machines, a machine that very few other people on the planet will ever experience. I have been fortunate to own many world class sports cars over the years, but none of them have given me the joy I experience driving my Ferrari. If you can afford the price of admission, I highly recommend it.:) Drive in good health!
    Cheers!!!

18. spEYEdr

spEYEdr Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2007
    LA - City of Angels
    Ok, I get your point. But with multiple great cars already in the garage, I didn't have to drive a jalopy while searching...

19. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Check CNC: Right now Cam has several very nice 360 manual 6 speed coupes in the 10K miles range-ish. I have had dealings with Cam and he is a very straight shooter and will go out of his way to make you happy. They only have nice cars and you will get more than you pay for. If you are a serious buyer, give him a call. Manual 6 Speed 360s are hard to find with lower miles.

20. Roadking80134

Roadking80134 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2013
    Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick S
    Have you setup a search on AutoTrader.com? I recently found, and purchased, an 04 360 Spider, 3 pedal, Rosso Barchetta, with HiFi, Tubi, all manuals (even the flashlight), records, full tool kit, full lingerie, spare tire, bottle, in VERY good condition, 27k miles, under $90k. If you find a car that meets the search criteria, be quick to act and you'll get the car you want.
    Rick

21. MrRdStr

MrRdStr Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    AJ.
    #21 MrRdStr, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    ...and there ain't enough supply for the specifications in demand.

In the new car market, buyers got pretty much what they wanted. Maybe they had to pay a fortune, but they got what they ordered.

While most wanted red-tan or red-black...and got it, others wanted silver-blue, or blue-red, or grey-green...and they got it too. In then end, about 20% of the 360s made (and now for sale) are in color combinations that many don't want. Those cars are cheaper and the desirable colors are more because of it.

Same goes for 6 speed manuals and F1. Most wanted F1 when new - or Ferrari forced it on them. Now with the phase ut of MT and the known increased problems associated with F1, a bigger number of buyers - relativley - want MT. Thant drives up prices on the MT cars and makes them harder to find.

And, as the cars get older, nice ones become more scarce. No one is restoring beat 360s to primo condition - it is not economically feasible.

I looked for 6 months for my 2004 red-black MT 360. By that time I had worked out that there were probvably less than a 100 cars made TOTAL that had what I wanted - and what I wanted wasn't that tight (red or silver outside, tan or black inside, MT, Daytona seats, 2002 or later, USA car, low miles - under 20K, nice condition). When I found the right car I bought it immediately - paid too much - and have been happy with my decision ever since.

23. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Interesting , I would like red-black 430 and I see very few especially with MT

24. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I completely agree with John. When you find the right one, pull the trigger, even if it is a few bucks more than you wanted to spend. You will never regret spending too much on a great, well sorted, maintained car. You will only have regrets when you buy the "cheap" car and find out that it has lots of problems that will cost big bucks to fix. Trying to save a nickel, you could end up spending a dollar. Be smart, buy smart!

25. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That is because there are so few MT 430s, full stop. There were only a handful ever produced so it is only slightly easier than looking for a pink 430. And, you won't be able to require much else or you simply won't every buy a car.

PFSEX's comments are pretty much on the mark BUT as for F1 vs MT that gets debated a lot. The demand was for F1, that is why it outsold the MT. Despite the information that gets told as fact, analysis of the resale market doesn't show much/if any difference in pricing. MT cars are harder to find because they were a small part of the production, something like 35% (I forget the exact numbers and I am too lazy to search right now). Add on a few other specifications and you figure out that you are looking for one of just a hand full of cars in your country.