ZL1 Vs GT500, numbers say GT500 but.... | FerrariChat

ZL1 Vs GT500, numbers say GT500 but....

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Subarubrat, Dec 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I don't participate in the Ford Vs Chevy war, I like both the Mustang and Camaro. For the last 3 years I have had a Camaro 2SS as a DD and it has been a great car. The DD is 80% the wife's choice and 20% mine since we commute together and the non DDs are all my choice. It is only fair that she has the say so in the DD. She would be content with the V6 auto version of any car, what she wants is a cushy interior to nap in while I drive. So we are looking at the ZL1 Camaro as a direct replacement for the SS, and it is a great car that offers a big jump in handling and power over the SS as well as the extra creature comforts. We would both be content to select it as an upgrade to the SS, but for me there is one overriding problem. For the exact same cost, 55k, there is the GT500 with 662Hp Vs 580 and quite a few easy upgraded (more or less unlocking what is already there) and it gets 24mpg HWY Vs the Camaro's 19mpg. What to do, what to do. Anyone owned both and have any comments?

2. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Is the type of transmission important? As a daily driver I ask that because the ZL1 is available with an automatic whereas the GT500 is strictly a six-speed.

3. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    based on looks alone the Camaro

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF-db7bX9LI]Ford Shelby GT500 vs Chevrolet Camaro ZL1! - Head 2 Head Episode 11 - YouTube[/ame]

4. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    We want manual, and both cars use the same Tremec 6 speed.

5. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #5 leead1, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    I own a Shelby GT500 and have driven the Camaro.

When I drove both the Mustang stood out for performance. The Ford does have the live axles where the Chevy has independant suspension all quarters. The think the Ford will do that in 2014 but I am not sure. Mybe someone on the Forum knows?

I live in Florida where every thing is basically straight. The Camaro felt soft to me, but I think there are two chasis suspensions and my salesman had it set soft. I think the chevy is a better looking car at least in 2013.

Good luck with what you buy.

Lee

6. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I own the 2014 Shelby (daily driver when temps above 40 degrees) and have driven an SS, ZL1 and 1LE. As a DD, I would definitely consider the Chevy. The Shelby is fun and very fast when you can get it to hook up right which can be difficult sometimes. It also gets a lot of attention. The manual Recaros are not heated and can fit poorly, IMO. I would never expect getting 24 mpg in this car unless rolling down Pikes Peak.

Nobody knows the difference between the three versions of the Camaro which doesn't bother me too much but the Shelby gets the attention more. Cops give me a thumbs up most of the time in the Shelby. Of the three Camaros, I liked the power of the ZL1 and think it would be fine as a DD. Any of the Camaros will handle better than a Shelby out of the box when using as a DD and may be a little more forgiving. I have almost spun the Shelby a couple times on acceleration and changing lanes.

The first mod for a DD Shelby is the clutch return spring. Clutch catches way too high for a DD, IMO

7. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Doing some more digging on the GT500 it looks like you need about 10k in upgrades to get closer to the ZL1s handling, and even then you lack the finesse of the magnetic suspension. And making up 50~80 of the Hp gap is no more than a tune and pulley change. The wife's go the final say-so and I think the interior of the Camaro will pull her that way. I have only owned 2 American cars because they usually never had anything on the market I cared about, and now they have a few it is hard to choose from!

8. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Why not a lightly used Z06 or do you need back seats?

9. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Why not indeed, I love those cars. Tops of my list were the Jag F, Z06, Maserati Ghibli, and those were eliminated by the wife as being an old man's car or ugly. We have had the Camaro SS and she loves it so the ZL1 was an easy sell, the Gt500 is close enough that she would go that way. I am not complaining, this is "her" car, the one that she drives to the grocery store, the one that we commute to work and back in 2 hours a day in etc. She doesn't complain about my toys ever, so if my problem is choosing between the ZL1 and the GT500 as a daily driver I can think of worse things, like if she was a minivan or PT Cruiser type of girl.

10. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Both cars are close, with each one having an edge. Shelby should be lighter, but the pulley and tune wakes them up even more. I'd say if you don't already have a brand preference, it comes down to the interior and ride. I like the mustang better, but that's just me. Both cars are awesome machines. And if you're not looking for raw power, see if you can find a Boss also.

11. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    ^
    This..

I would look for a leftover or gently used 12/13 Boss 302, which has an adjustable suspension.

The Shelby may have the power advantage, but the Boss has the handling advantage.

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The chev all the way. GM has always kicked ford ass in the pony wars.

13. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I'd say its been a steady swap back and forth... Camaro was a few years late, 72-73 Mustang was a bloated pig... Ford had the Mustang II, the Camaro was killed off to be brought back after the Mustang and Challenger revived the retro muscle car.

All in all, I love the competition. Keeps it interesting.

14. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    My Dad was a Ford guy the whole way......

My sister owned a Mustang II - what a POS.

I owned a 79 turbo 4 cyl - another POS

Not to say GM didn't build a few losers - early 80's T/As come to mind.

If you want it to turn and keep it stock, get the Chevy or a Boss, not a Shelby.