Should the Daytona have the chassis number stamped behind the steering wheel? | FerrariChat

Should the Daytona have the chassis number stamped behind the steering wheel?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by miurasv, Nov 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #1 miurasv, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    I have friend looking at a Daytona right now and there is no chassis number stamped above the steering column. Is this correct?

2. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Steve: I do not believe early Daytona's had the steering column with the boss for the chassis number. I went back and looked at photos of 12467 when we had it, and it does not have the boss. The whole situation was in response to U.S. regulations that came in about the time of the first Daytonas.

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #3 El Wayne, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The chassis number data plate should be under the hood, above and just forward of the right front wheel well. Hopefully this helps your friend identify the s/n if it's an earlier car. Of course, I'm assuming he has access the to engine compartment.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #4 Terra, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    Yes, it's only the U.S. version Daytonas which have a steering column boss containing the chassis number.

5. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    #5 Mark Shannon, Nov 26, 2013
  6. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    My RHD UK Daytona 14121 didn't have the steering boss serial number either, I think it was just the later cars.

Best,

David

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    correct, later euro cars got the sn boss. thats when ferrari began to standardize the euro cars to the usa cars.
    fwiw, the early euro cars had aluminum doors, later euro cars had steel doors.
    all usa cars had steel doors.

8. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    I've seen many 17000-series late-production Euro LHD 365 GTB/4s. NONE of them had the steering column boss.

As far as RHD 365 GTB/4s, I had no idea they have the steering wheel boss! (i.e. learn something new everyday).

9. cam man

cam man Karting

Nov 6, 2004
    My Daytona is is a euro model 16977 (50th from the last) and it doesnt have a steering column vin.

10. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Most RHD 1973 cars had the chassis number on the boss. I am not sure about other markets, or exactly when it came in. I am sure Mark has more photos than me so he may be able to say what the earliest he has seen is.

Just a little note to what Edd said, the door skins [ not the whole doors] on early RHD cars were Aluminum, i think.

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #11 TTR, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    Usually only the skins are/were as per above, not entire doors, but their frames seem to have gone through several other changes during models (4 1/2 year) production run. And as with most details regarding these cars, perhaps using a word "all" may not apply as literally as its meaning might suggest.

12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thank you very much to all for the answers and to Mark Shannon for the picture. They are very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Steve.

13. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Ed,

It's actually market specific, not a blanket all later cars received the VIN on the steering column. Almost nothing on a Daytona is that simple. For example, later UK cars received the all amber front directional lenses like the USA cars, but with the prancing horse in the reflector because the UK didn't have the same reflector surface area law. The non-USA cars did eventually receive the steel doors of the USA cars as you stated. One could right a book on all the differences on a Daytona based on the year of production and what markets they were for.

Steve

14. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi Steve
    Just a small addition, UK cars had the Amber front indicators from the start, they did not need the white ones, as the early cars had the white front side lights above the bumpers and the later cars 73 on, had a side light bulb in the headlights. I think possibly a couple cars had the amber indicators changed at a later date by the owners to make them look different!

As far as I am aware all RHD cars had the same spec as UK cars, ie gators over the gear leaver, small round indicators in the front wings etc.
    I did not know the prancing horse on the reflectors was a UK or RHD thing, so i have learned something already today!

15. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    #15 Daytonafan, Dec 17, 2013
    The indicator on mine with the prancing horse. Photo I believe by Jonathan Tremlett
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    To go a little off-topic, when did Ferrari start with the s/n plate on the steering column? What model was the earliest? I've seen 365 GT 2+2s with the plate on the column. I thnik that's probably the earliest model to receive this. Correct?

Best, Peter