355 floor panels on a 348? | FerrariChat

355 floor panels on a 348?

Discussion in '348/355' started by angelis, Feb 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    The 348 is going into the bodyshop in the next couple of weeks.

The original idea of having a spoiler and front splitter has been terminated due to inpracticality of the front splitter. ie: I'd smash the front splitter up just getting my car into a garage.

That just leaves the 355 under floor panels which I can have done whilst the car is having paintwork done.

I've sourced the panels from a company in the UK.

Only questions now are:

1) Is it worth doing?

2) How long would it take to do bearing in mind it's totally new fixtures?

3) Anyone done it or attempted to do it before?

2. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    If you're planning on using the diffusers, look carefully at the difference in the rear subframe of 348 vs 355 as well as the bumper height. Not sure you can use them.
    I made a splitter out of 3/16" aluminum. It's robust enough to serve as a skid and splitter. Cheap too!

3. Samy

Samy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2005
    I'm just in the process of fitting those to my car. But i got the 355 rearbumper wich makes the rear mounting position easy like stock. The rear center piece i connected to the mounting positions of the stock 348 metal cover with some new holes in the 355 piece to fit to the 348 locations. I didnt fit the middle and front section need to find some spare parts first to do it. But i wouldnt say it is anywhere near difficult if you have the car on a lifter its just time expansiv to find a nice solution to mount it on the car.... ok you could just drill holes and pull bolts through it :D :D

But i also found a guy in another ferrari forum wich mounted the rear diffusors and i think also the middle and front section to a 348 with original 348 rear bumper. He made brackets to the original bumper to holt the diffusors like on the stock 355 bumper. I think it was in the ************* forum. (Edit: ok doesnt seem to like the board its a uk board where you are also registered angelis.)

If its worth it i dont know ... didnt drove it ... drove the car 500km in the last 8 years :(

If you got the spare parts make pictures how you solved the mounting , maybe i can steal some inspiration :)

Samy

4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Seems like more trouble/expense than it's worth.

The more plastic you put underneath the car, the harder it is to lift with a jack.

A 355 is an order of magnitude more bother than a 348 to put on my 2-post lift.

360 and 430 are even more of a hassle.

5. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Thanks.

Splitter idea is dead in the water for me unfortunately. Unless I can retrofit a lambo front car lift!!! :D

On CS forum?

Can't think who that was.

I may wait until you've done it and seen if it works :D

To be honest, that wouldn't bother me as I don't have a lift and will never do any work on it myself. :D

Thanks for pointing it out though. Food for thought.

6. Samy

Samy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2005
    Its in the fcar forum. If you search in google for "fcar 355 undertray installed on 348" it will pop up just on top. But in his thread (he has made two one for the diffusors and one later for the rest) he only show one single picture and not much informations. But maybe he will reply if ask directly.

And i do think its worth it , it should make a difference in aerodynamics if its worth the trouble is a question for everyone individually if i only drive on the street and flow with the traffic it will not effect anything. But i think it will make a difference if driven on a track or faster arround corners. Maybe someone who drove both cars the 348 and 355 can tell something about the difference.

Samy

7. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Thanks Samy.

Missed your reply when you posted and just saw it now.

348 is in the workshop with the engine out so have taken the opportunity to have the 355 floor fitted. Parts ordered and just waiting for delivery.

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    10 months later?

Good morning Rip Van Winkle. :p

9. Samy

Samy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2005
    Maybe angelis invested in a DeLorean daily driver who knows :) but in the meantime i also gathered most of the undertray parts but didnt had the chance to try fitting them. But my plan is to mount some nuts to the undertray and just screw the middle and front section to it. the rear two diffusors are mounted to the middle piece and in the rear on the rear bumper.

At the moment i fight with those 355 door scoops first thought buy a set paint the set mount the set. But its more like buy the set nearly painted the set to find out they didnt fit at all on a 348 chassis. Think about whats wrong find out that Ferrari thought it would be a great idea to change the rear fender lower parts just a bit nearly unvisible wich makes it impossible to fit the door scoopes as they are just to short. Now i cut the door scoop and try to make the door scoop only as long as the 348 one. Just with the more round shape from the 355. But i'm not happy with it so i think i just destroyed the scoop for fun.

10. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    #10 angelis, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    No I didn't get your text. I don't do texting goofball. I'm old school that way.

12. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Will send you a smoke signal later today then

13. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I got your smoke signal just now.

:D

14. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    whats the white car on the left in pic 2? Is that an eb110?

15. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Yep

16. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Are you gonna post some photos of the panels when fitted?

17. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Will try to.