working on a mondi QV cab? | FerrariChat

working on a mondi QV cab?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Meister, Nov 28, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Hi all,

I sold my 308 in july after 12 years. Kinda been looking around for something for next summer, something different. Have come across an 84 QV cab relatively close and priced comfortably.

Car needs belt/h2o pump service. Updated hoses, some oil leaks from cam covers need to be fixed. I've never looked up close at a mondi engine bay. Looks like it's almost impossible to remove the front bank cam cover with the engine in the car...any thoughts on that? Is it easier to drop the engine to do that kind of stuff. On an QV mondial do you drop the engine or pull it from the top?

Any quick thoughts on where a QV ranks in terms of normal Mondial gremlins better/worse than other years?

Thanks all

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Having a 308 before, you already know the answer to you question. Yes belts, cam covers, water pump can all be done with engine in but its painful! I just did that this summer and I would say this, you can do alot more thorough job in your service with the engine out because of spacing issues. You really have to be a contortionist to do all of the things required with the engine in, especially front facing cams, there's almost no room to work with and having special tools is a must. I think I would drop the engine out next time after I get a 4 post lift. My $.02.

Best,
    Mike

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Yeah thanks. I'm not as familiar with the mondial as the 308. So the engine can drop out the bottom on a mondial? I thought only the Mondial T with the 348 engine came out the bottom

4. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Def out the bottom from all the readings I have found
    Not from experience but the time will come......don't let your fear stand in the way

5. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
  6. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I did my service with engine in. The hatch in the back seat allows enough room to get the work done. The only snag I ran into was I had to remove the nipple from the front valve cover for the breather to get it out of the way. It is hard to see everything when the work is being done.

I'm sure all the links show it but the engine, rear frame, suspension all come out the bottom. Great design. I believe 16 bolts hold the main frame to rear frame section. Then it's fuel, cooling, wiring and throttle cable.

On my next service I want to drop the engine to do a more thorough cleaning job.

Drive train is same as your 308. It's just strange sitting in the rear seat to adjust valves.

7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    This probably is crazy, but could one "cut" a huge access panel behind the rear seats, that sheet metal is not structural. Anybody know why did they make such a small access port, looks like no big deal to have made it bigger interest first place?

I do my own work on my 3.2 cab, just getting the rear bank distributor cap changed was very frustrating, and injured my forearm, this is not a great design for maintenance. I can't imagine doing the valve clearance, I am amazed it can be done. Many things in the engine bay are reasonably accessible. But a bit more engineering for access would have been. Good idea.