stocking a bar | FerrariChat

stocking a bar

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by rob lay, Nov 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I know I can find lists on internet. Not looking to have 100% of everything. Will be heavy on the Scotch, but also want to have enough for most common drinks.

What would you stock and what brands?

thanks.

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Crown Royal.

Because Jim might come over. :D

3. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Woodford Reserve Bourbon. I thought that was my little secret but I noticed Don Rose mention it the other day too. I'm usually not a straight bourbon guy but I like this.

Templeton Rye whiskey - Very tasty, and also a neat conversation piece as it ties its roots back to Al Capone's Iowa distilleries that were feeding Chicago during prohibition. Templeton Rye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  5. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    If you really like your scotch-drinking guests, consider a bottle of Dalwhinnie. Most who have never had it are pleasantly surprised.

6. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Off the top of my head, this is what I would start with:

Soft drinks:

IBC Root Beer
    Sprite
    Orange juice (with pulp)​

Beer:

Brakspear Special
    Guinness
    Badger First Gold
    Badger Fursty Ferret (for wifey)
    Badger Tangle Foot (for wifey)​

Wine:

Lots of examples of Riojas, Chiantis, and Pinot Noirs. Not interested in white.​

Whiskey: Though I feel like I'm forgetting things here... list seems short.

Auchentoshan 12
    Balvenie Doublewood
    Edradour Unchillfiltered
    Gentleman Jack
    Auchentoshan Three Wood
    Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban​

Cognac:

Remy Martin VSOP​

Port:

Cockburn's Special Reserve​

I don't really do cocktails or shots, so that'd pretty much be a complete list from my perspective. I'm sure my wife would have some extensive additions to make on that front. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

7. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Hi, Rob- as you might wish, let me know the number of bottles you want to have & I'm confident we can create a list of suitable candidates (since we aren't paying, I'm sure we will go overboard). As noted, the latter pages of the Scotch thread have a good number of posts you should find useful. There are several guys on the Scotch thread who drink way to much, and are always glad to help others share their passion.

Thinking of stocking a complete bar, you also want to consider Vodka (Grey Goose or another suitable clean tasting one, plus any of the various flavored ones), Tequila (several brands are really upping their game, and there are some very good bottles on the market now), plus brandy, cognac & a couple varieties of Port. For me, wine is a different specialty, although I stock Talbott and Easton as favorites & serve it to guests.

I'm partial to Scotch, but also have Irish, Canadian and Japanese Whiskies in addition to several bottles of Bourbon. Some of it depends on what you want it for (serious lush endeavors, mixed drinks for company, etc.) and the profiles of the whiskies you enjoy. Most people start with Speyside malts, and then venture out into Islay and Campbletown brands as they have more time. Highland and Lowland malts are less shocking to the novice, although experienced whisky drinkers tend to move to the stronger Islay brands as they broaden their horizons. For a change, Redbreast is a very good Irish whiskey at a great price, and Hibiki 12 is a change of pace, but also great value for the money. Don't get too hooked on the brand (like The Macallan, for example) and drink what you like.

You also want to have some decent, but more common, bottles for friends who might not want a serious whiskey, but enjoy a glass on the rocks. That means Crown Royal, JW or Dewars depending on which you might like.

A good deal of the fun is trying new bottles now and again, and expanding the different regions you have in stock to suit the mood whenever you have a glass. Everyone has their favorites, so my guess is you'll find yours, and then expand from there.

8. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #8 NeuroBeaker, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Eh?!? Who're yeh callin' a novice?!? :mad:

:D

All the best,
    Lowland Malt Drinker.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Jesus... "off the top of your head" you must not drink much....

;)

Jedi

10. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I live in Scotland, so I'm a teetotaler by local standards. :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I think aside from the obvious standalone bottles - the "common" emphasis on the first post may be regarding Mixed drinks - not straight, as that should be left to guests to bring over as gifts to be shared with Rob when he's going for Purist hedonism ;). Dress to impress & pour like a bore.

Personally, I consume a bottle a year.

This is the best time of year to stock up with mid-range booze, as there are Holiday booze sales galore. Special bottles will pop up here and there. For this reason, aside from gift-giving, it's the only time many venture into booze section. Bargains. Not bins.

I've slowly been doing the same - grabbed a few at huge discount - even before "6-pack" of wine/booze discount which has become prevalent & put away for a time and place. As long as it's unopened, it's nonperishable ;). After a bottle is opened - they don't call them "spirits" for nothing, as Angels get their share every time it's opened.

Lordy knows, relatives will make them all disappear, suddenly, and without warning or recompense. and they will, and they won't. Guaranteed. ;) Back in the day, my buds and I would switch Tanqueray into Seagrams Gin bottles & vice versa & our temporary girlfriends would drink "Tanqueray" while we humbly drank "Seagrams", which always impressed them, as they were having the best at our so-called expense. The beauty of it was, shortly thereafter the temporary girlfriends would become "Beefeaters". ;) Ah, memories!

Bear in mind that in in particular, "luxury" spirits should be consumed within a reasonable period after opening, as this maintains the "character" the Distiller and Ye Gawds intended. Letting four different luxuries go past their "drink-it-now-dammit-date" angers the Gawds. Don't do that.

Universal Standards that can also unabashedly function as Mixers:

Vodka
    Absolut is most likely to be heavily discounted this season & mixes well - Stolichnaya will have discounts hither and thither, with Skyy, Ketel One, Belvedere, Grey Goose & others having a moment of clarity. Get 'em while you can, and if you like, set aside for a rainy day years from now, as nothing will be lost.

Irish
    Bushmills Original always goes on sale this time of year, as does Jameson if you prefer & certainly a host of Irish Creams. Upper end runs 4X their full retail price and upwards, so do what you wish.

Tequila
    Cazadores Reposado [Deer Head on label, quite appropriate for Rob] lead the charge into what can actually be done right with tequila & is not "look at me" expensive or a waste when mixed with a drop of anything else. However, with a plethora of evolving bottlings & turnover that doesn't always please number-crunchers who would just as soon discount stragglers to fill space with the latest big thing - other Tequilas are discounted on a revolving, if not ongoing, basis. Perhaps not in Tejas, though.

Rum is the next big thing. Again. Take advantage.

There's some Kinky & Skinny Girl branding that wimmenfolk go ga-ga for - get two of each, but don't tell them there's two. You'll be a hero when you . . . whip it out.

12. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL...I was thinking the same thing! :D

13. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Sorry...Auchentoshan is very good, and much less shocking than those nasty Islay drams with all their peat and oily iodine tastes... I'd be glad to toast Slainte Mhath with a glass of their Three Wood with you sometime (or 21 if you buy the bottle- I'm too frugal).

14. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    My apologies - I wasn't really slighted, just having fun Bob. You are right in your whiskey assessments, of course. Compared to your knowledge of whiskey, I am absolutely a novice... so I have a fair few years of catching up to do. ;)

Actually, I've tried the Auchentoshan 21 a few times and also think it's over-priced. It is very nice but it's three times the price of the 12 and I didn't get three times the enjoyment from it. I'm not keen on the flavour of the 18 so I'll just stick with the 12 and the Three Wood - the latter I think of as a winter dessert whiskey. :D

Going back to what you were saying about whiskey character preferences... When I was first introduced to whiskey, I actually didn't mind peaty varieties (though preferred non-peated), however after I spent considerable time in the laboratory at university, I started to associate it with the slightly 'peaty' aroma of some lethal industrial solvents and it put me off. I don't think it's an association I'll ever overcome, so will have to stick to non-peated whiskey. Edradour Unchillfiltered is quite an oily one but isn't peaty so do enjoy that. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

15. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Guess I live in a different world.

A straightforward answer would have been:

A good supply of whatever Vodka you like best.

Tequila? Preferably at least one gold and one silver based on your preferences.

At least 2 gins: Tanqueray 10, and your favorite for mixes.

Rum? Your preferred clear rum, a dark and/or spiced rum, and Malibu.

Whiskey/whisky or bourbon - A bottle should suffice.

Liqueurs? Something orange, something melon, something berry, and amaretto.

With at least 3 to 4 decent sized cookouts or gatherings each year, I can say that to this point I've never had to replenish the brown liquors (whisky/scotch/bourbon) in 4+ years. Everything else goes quickly.

16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Don't forget some vermouth and some bitters.

Matt

17. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    This thread just shows why liquor stores have so many shelves...I would add rum and gin to the mix, though, especially if you entertain. If the popularity of Scotch stated to wane, at least the prices wouldn't keep rising like they have for the past 5-6 years.

18. onocoffee

onocoffee Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Hunt Valley, MD
    Full Name:
    Jay C
    I'm not big on scotch but I do prefer:

Flor de Cana 7 year Rum (for general drinking, esp with Coke)
    Ron Zacapa Solera 23 Rum

Beluga Russian Vodka

Milagro Tequila

Noah's Mill Bourbon

And Magnum bottles of:
    Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf du Pape

19. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Just want to second this tequila suggestion. I keep a 1.75L of Milagro Silver handy at all times, both for individual consumption(sipping) and mixes.

For guests who appreciate a nicer tequila(meaning they don't just shoot it back...lol) Don Julio 1942 Anejo is really a fantastic tequila.

For rum, my preference is Matusalem and Pampero.

20. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Get everything you need to make an authentic long island iced tea and as a bonus you now have most everything to make anything else too :D

21. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  22. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I enjoy the Don Julio anejo although the Milagro has an aftertaste I just don't like...Corozon Anejo I enjoy...most 100% agave premium anejo I like...over the ice with a lime...getting into scotch.. like the Lagavulin 16 and Makers Mark..
    My bar:
    Costco makes a nice everyday Vodka, and nobody *****es about Stoli, and the New Amsterdam flavored Vodka's are a nice mixing Vodka from Gallo..
    Don Julio or Three Generation anejo tequila's & even costco's anejo ok for mixed drinks..
    Lagavulin 16 for scotch
    Makers Mark for bourbon on the rocks...Jim Beam for mixing
    seems everyone wants vodka mostly at parties...
    Wine...I make around a 1000 gallons a year so thats what they get...and its good
    Beer...I like pilsner but keep **** beer like coors, bud, then Stella, etc for ok. Scrimshaw ok pilsner but I find some microbreweries make great pils if you can find one doing it.
    stock up on onions, olives, asparagus spears, limes, good salt, and nice glassware. etc.
    good spirits mate!