328 --Both Tach and Speedometer Fail Intermittently | FerrariChat

328 --Both Tach and Speedometer Fail Intermittently

Discussion in '308/328' started by italia16, Nov 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italia16

italia16 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2004
    Almost every time I drive my 328, the needle on the tach and/or speedometer will go to zero (10 mph on speedometer) and not always both at the same time. It normally occurs at the beginning of the drive but then one or both come to life later and then proceed to die and come to life again.

My mechanic says the only common connection between the tach and speedometer is through the ignition circuit so he replaced the ignition relay. But it still occurs.

Should I pull both and send them to Palo Alto Speedometer? Or just clean the connectors in the back of each? Any other connectors to clean or other ideas?

2. E-Dino

E-Dino Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2012
    San Diego
    I am no Ferrari expert, but from Lucas training I would look at grounds....

3. Fuzz

Fuzz Rookie

Nov 8, 2012
    Harrisburg, PA
    Full Name:
    Farzad
    I am no expert either, but was able to fix my tachometer. Refer to my post (and others') on the link titled Winter Project for 328-Tach on this site. Mine was reading slow, and I took it out, opened up the tach, and cleaned all connections outside and inside the tach, put it back together, and now it works fine. I am not saying this will solve your problem, but it might. It is worth giving it a shot.

Fuzz

4. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Very likely to be corroded pins on the engine bay harness connector which is located near the LH upper shock mount.