Larger Craftsman selection..where? | FerrariChat

Larger Craftsman selection..where?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by msdesignltd, Nov 11, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #1 msdesignltd, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    which tri state sears has a large on floor display of Craftsman rolling tool chests..
    Some locations have more than others..Want to go see the wide selection in person...
    Need some Garage Goodies.

Long Island or Northern NJ prefer..or????

2. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    #2 YELO T, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Haven't been there in years, but I think the Hicksville Sears has a large selection. Also check out Harbor Freight - their prices are much lower than Sears.

I've had my eye on this HF rolling cart ($155) but I have no place to put it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Marty458

Marty458 Karting

May 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Marty
    I know that the Sears at Rockaway Mall in NJ has a huge tool selection. This is where I purchased my last two tool chests. You may also want to look at Lowes. They have a sweet tool chest that has an integrated Pioneer stereo with iPod adapter.

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/693694/6936945603911lg.jpg

4. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    Relatively close to each other are Sears Hardware in Midland Park, NJ and the Full Sears store at Paramus Park mall, both have pretty large tool departments, I have found Sears Hardware to be more reliable for items to be in-stock.

5. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Bullit proof vests required?????

6. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I second the suggestion of Sears Hardware store rather than just a plain Sears store.

7. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Sears store at the Livingston Mall has a large selection of craftsman tools and tool storage cabinets. There is also a Sears Hardware store in Cedar Knolls, NJ, in the Wal-Mart shopping center, that has just about everything the Sears carries. Personally, I like the Livingston Mall store better, that's where I usually end up when I need something.

8. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I bought Gladiator and I am very pleased with them.

Joe

9. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    No that is Garden State Plaza - Paramus park is the "old" mall, likely wouldn't even make the news if there was an event there (like most places that a still have Sears stores)

10. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    just a suggestion- I have found that for not much more money you could buy a used Snap on or Mac tool box on ebay or craigslist . While Sears tools are good their toolboxes are made of thin metal and their rolling mechanisims are not that great and the drawers are a bit flimsy and dont lock into place when closed.

11. DONRON

DONRON Karting

Dec 21, 2012
    Westchester County
    Full Name:
    Ron
    + 1 on that Jay, Im over in Yonkers are you in the area?

12. ACross32

ACross32 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    Bay Shore, NY, USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Sears in South Shore Mall in Bay Shore has quite a big selection of Craftsman's line...although there is a police precinct inside the mall, if that says anything ;)

13. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    #13 MK1044, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    OP,

Craftsman:
    If you want to look at Craftsman tool chests in Northern New Jersey, the two Sears locations already mentioned: Sears Paramus and Sear Hardware Midland Park each have a decent collection of slightly different stuff. Also Sears at the Willowbrook Mall near the intersections of Routes 80 and 23 has a large tool box selection.
    I agree with some of the other posters who say that the quality of some of the Craftsman cabinets is not that good. However, if you stick with the cabinets with drawers rated to 100 pounds each you should be okay.
    Also, Sears sells other brands in addition to Craftsman. Some of the Viper boxes look pretty good to me.

Used Snap-On, etc.:
    If you don't mind used, there is some amount of good Mac, Snap-On, Cornwell, etc, boxes on Craig's List. Many of these are stronger than the Craftsman cabinets. Keep in mind that you are also paying for the name with these. And there are many a-holes on Craig's List.

Harbor Freight:
    As another poster mentioned, they sell some decent tool boxes, (as well as crappy ones and crappy tools). In particular, I've looked these over in some detail and I think they are excellent roll cabinets for the money:
    $800 : 56" Roller Cabinet - 11 Drawer
    $400 : Roller Cabinet - 44" Red Rolling Tool Cabinet w/ 13 Drawers
    $150 : I've got this one for $100 for when it first came out. My buddy has a similar Snap-On and I don't see any significant difference.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/580-lb-capacity-four-drawer-tool-cart-95659.html

You've got many other choices also depending upon your budget. I have two Kennedy boxes that I bought used on Craig's List. A model 297 and a model 295. I am looking for another model 297 so I can ditch some old steel cabinets.

Carmine

14. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks for great replies
    In particular, I am seeking stainless steel rolling chest
    Most likely 2 /40" cabinets or 1 /70"
    Thanks again

15. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    #15 MK1044, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good choices. I'm sure they'll make you happy.

Consider that two 40" cabinets (as opposed to one larger) will be more flexible with regards to arrangement or if you decide to downsize later and sell one.

Stainless steel Viper Tool Storage,Craftsman Bottom Rollaway Tool Chests : Find Tool Storage Chests at Sears

These look good in person:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #16 msdesignltd, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

Yes..Stainless fits my application..surgically clean.
    That box in your pic X 2 may be my choice.

Your LINK is exactly the units I want to see..Viper is on display at Sears ??
    That link has some great units..That I must see.

I wonder if any major sales will be on in the next few weeks??