IndyCar Thread (post-Indy 500) ***SPOILERS*** | Page 11 | FerrariChat

IndyCar Thread (post-Indy 500) ***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 4re Nut, Jun 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We kill about four to five people EVERY day, in Rush Hour Traffic.
    Try to get some perspective here....

I'll refrain from comment, on the nationality of (most of) the fatals....

To the point, even the PERMANENT fence system in Indy, "Might stop the cars, but it won't stop the fuel!"
    We moved our seats there for that very reason, when Turn 4 started catching so many cars...

2. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    I too love this race no matter what the negative ones here say. Sure Indy has its issues but the only way to fix 'em is to get out there and support the league.

At the end of the day I still loved the event and cant wait till next year.

3. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Will you be supplying the Bar-B-Que. I do miss the beans! :D

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #254 BartonWorkman, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    With all due respect, the difference herein lies with the fact that the Franchitti/Sato
    shunt has been replayed ad nauseam from local and national television news broadcasts
    and all over the Internet tens of thousands of times as it seems shunts like this are the only
    time a form of motor sport outside of NASCAR gets any sort of media attention at all.

This comes at a particularly difficult time as the foundation of Indy Car racing seems as fractured
    as it could possibly be (as the ABC News article correctly points out), they seem to be meandering
    to find any sort of direction and the loss of Dan Wheldon is still fresh in our minds.

There are those whom suggest that our sport is in it's twilight. Racing in it's various forms
    faces a very uncertain future in particular when we see spectators being hurt at slapped
    together events like Houston or even at Daytona which is supposed to have state of the art safety
    standards to protect drivers and spectators.

Just as some suggest the concussion issue in the NFL could cause a serious re-evaulation of
    football and the very credibility of the #1 sport in the country is on it's back foot dealing
    with the issue, motor sport is a much easier target (so to say) and therefore we either discuss
    the aspects which threaten to take away the credibility of the sport or we just throw up our
    hands and say "that's racing".

Either the FIA should get it's arms around these issues or someone needs to step up and
    make sure the sanctioning bodies and promoters are taking the necessary steps to be sure
    racing is a safe spectating sport or the issue gets tossed around like a political hot potato
    and nothing is done as in such a case, racing's very existence is threatened and I don't
    think any of us want that.

BHW

5. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Why should anyone come and watch any form of racing when both their intelligence and their safety are compromised? Bringing FIA into it won't change anything. Fans have turned their back on the current "managed" racing series simply because the product is packaged. That alone insults most true racing fans. As for the safety...why should anyone watch race cars on a parking lot? I watch the Kentucky Derby because its the best of the best in horse racing. And they do it on a proper track with all the proper trimmings. Same for the Preakness & Belmont Stakes. When they decide to run the horses in the parking lot at the local shopping center...I will also turn that off too.

Racing is going to die for simply on reason.......It isn't racing anymore. Its just a bunch of cars owned by a few people going in circles, and it isn't even noteworthy. Racing actually died when they posted a speed limit. Want to see racing?....try the interstate. They go faster and the speed limit sign is only a suggestion.

6. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #257 4re Nut, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    just saw a little factoid on twitter, this is the 8th year in a row the IndyCar title has gone to the last race of the season.

that is without a "chase" or other idiotic manipulation.

think about that.....8 years of a close title fight, and still these guys get infomercial-esque ratings.

I nominate IndyCar as worst marketed sport ever.

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  9. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Really?? I thought you already had tickets!!! :D

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I do think it's smart ending the season before Labor Day. I wish NASCAR would do the same...fall is the worst time of year for sports over saturation (college football, nfl, mlb ending, nhl and NBA starting, etc etc).

but otherwise yes...meh.

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    At least they dropped the Sao Paulo street race.

But, here again, so many perfectly good tracks a stone's throw away from these street
    circuits (Houston-COTA, Toronto-Mosport, Detroit-MIS) and they continue with these
    inane street course crashfests which do nothing to embolden their brand.

Going up against stick & balls sports is always tough but if the product on the track is
    up to scratch and marketed correctly, they shouldn't have a problem with it.

BHW

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    agree on other tracks....street circuits are like drugs, just say no!

disagree on going up against stick and ball sports...historically NASCAR ratings take a dive after labor day, regardless of who is in the title fight or how close it is. remember the chase was created to boost ratings against NFL and NCAA football. we all know how that ended :rolleyes:

14. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Last race of the year... Green, err pink flag...

15. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    So I just watched the last few laps of the Indy car finale.... There couldn't have been more than 5-10,000 people in the stands.
    Can't imagine how this series is going to survive....
    Did anyone notice that next years schedule ends in August?
    Kevin

16. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #267 4re Nut, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yikes...

IndyCar update: Six-car wreck occurs just prior to halfway mark (VIDEO) | MotorSportsTalk

https://twitter.com/stef_wilson/statuses/391780938285207552 62! :eek:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yep, Condensed 2014 schedule opens doors for expansion

18. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
    That was a great race

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    didn't see the race, I was at Petit; will watch when I get back home.

feel bad for helio. congrats to Dixson and TCGR.

20. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    For what its worth, we went to the Indycar race last night in Fontana. I can't remember that last open-wheel race that we actually attended in person, but we were in Indy last weekend and did the Dallara factory tour, came back to LA, and they were kind enough to be having an Indycar race at a time where we were free. We decided to go on Friday, bought tickets on-line, and went to the race on Saturday.

The crowd was far bigger than I would have expected - easily more than 5-10,000. Obviously not as big as a NASCAR race and they had many seats in turn 1 & 4 roped off. We sat up high a few sections past the start finish line. There were empty seats, but it seemed like easily more than half of the seats had people in them.

There were a lot of people with team and driver shirts and hats. Again, not as much as NASCAR, but more than I was expecting. The other surprise is that so many people were yelling and cheering in the stands - the biggest cheers were for Helio early in the race as he made some amazing passes and Charlie as he led before going out. It was nice to see enthusiasm.

It was also cool to see some demonstration laps at speed with various vintage Indycars.

My take? We had a great time and would go again to this race. It was a lot of fun and was easily worth the money we paid. Having said that, I wouldn't have traveled from another city to attend the race. We only attended because we had it fresh in our mind from the Dallara tour, we could make a late decision to go, it was easy to get tickets, and we could easily drive to/from the event.

21. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Watched Petit. Good race and coverage was decent. Nice ending to the series but I look forward to 2014.

22. Sushimon355

Sushimon355 Formula Junior

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    I attended the race as well and man was it exciting. I'm not really a fan of ovals either. Seemed like a decent crowd and I heard attendance was up materially from the year before but no idea the order of magnitude.

Felt really bad for Helio but nice to see Will finally win a big oval. Of course we all hope Justin has a speedy recovery.

From what I understand, 2015 is when the schedule could get very interesting as some older contracts roll off and new ones get signed. Houston in June? Ugh, and I thought the October 5th race was hot! I'm really hoping COTA gets added to the schedule in '15 and from what I hear, that is a very real possibility. We'll see...

23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Interesting news item:

IndyCar driver J.R. Hildebrand knows a fake gun when he sees one.

Around 8 p.m. Monday, Indianapolis Metropolitan police were called in response to a report of an attempted armed robbery at 50th Street and Washington Boulevard. According to an incident report, they encountered Hildebrand, who said he was watching a video on his phone and walking his dog when a man approached him with a gun.

Hildebrand said the man walked up behind him and said, “Drop it! Give it to me!”
    Hildebrand turned to find a man in a hooded sweatshirt who carried a “dark colored pistol.” He continued to tell Hildebrand to “Give it to me!”

Hildebrand ignored the man’s commands, and reported hearing a clicking sound coming from the gun. He decided his assailant had a fake gun, and said, “Get lost. Get out of here,” according to the IMPD report.

The confrontation scared off the other man, who ran away from the scene. Nothing was taken from the race car driver. Police searched the area but didn’t find the would-be robber. Hildebrand was not hurt during the encounter.

Update: Hildebrand later tweeted to fans to thank them for their concern.